Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bit confused on washer bottle..

Default bit confused on washer bottle..

So, the rules say you have to have a 1 qt min capacity oil catcher for any valve cover vent. I also hear lots of folks say they just use their washer reservoir for for it... but is that legal? You'd have to put a hole in it to do that wouldn't you? I think some of the rules are a bit petty, but don't want to get stung by them either.

I'm not gonna comment on the legality of such an arrangement, but man... that's going to make a Hell of a Mess if you accidentally hit the windshield washer button!
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Yes it is legal, and is a great way to use both that space and that bottle that you can't remove.
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Yes it is legal, and is a great way to use both that space and that bottle that you can't remove.
    I think you would have a hard time REALLY arguing that it was legal but I do see a lot of people do it. It's just one of many stock pieces on an IT car that should be present and unmodified as it says nothing in the rules saying otherwise. IIDSYCTYC.

The OP is talking about the technical legality, not the practical application at local events.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I think you would have a hard time REALLY arguing that it was legal
    Why?

GCR States:
    i. Oil catch tanks are permitted. All engine breathers or vapor recirculation lines, if disconnected, shall vent to a catch tank of one (1) quart minimum capacity. Such catch tanks shall not be mounted in the driver/passenger compartment. Original valve cover(s) may be modified to alter or to add breather/filler.
    It doesn't say anything about the material of construction, size, shape, or other uses for said catch can. I might find that my washer bottle motor works better when the washer fluid has a bit of oil floating on top of it.

I won't start on another washer bottle rant.

The OP asked because he correctly wondered why it was legal. How do you 'use' it as a catch can without modifying it - because I don't see where the ITCS allows you to modify the WB...and remember, the WB is never called out specifically in the ITCS, it just happens to be the poster-child for 'stock stuff that has to remain in my racecar in IT'. There are TONS of things like that in our cars. I bet there are a few rare designs that you could do it with - without modification...but would like to see them with unmodified caps and housings in place.

Trival? Yes...but that was the point of the OP, no?

Really what you are saying Ron is that you can modify any stock part that could perform an allowed function...and I just don't buy it.

Stupid? Maybe, but the pandoras box you would open......(again, on edit...I think we all realize it's as nit-picky as it gets, but that is WHY the OP asked. Nobody would protest this sort of thing but that is not the question)
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 03-20-2009 at 07:29 AM.
    Andy Bettencourt

I've changed my mind... after reviewing the appropriate paragraphs, I'm going to comment on legality after all. And this isn't about the washer bottle (although I agree with Andy... that bottle must remain unmodified, IMO).

Rather, this is about what I see as a conflict between GCR 9.3.37, which applies to all competition cars regardless of class, and the ITCS. The former says every race car shall have an oil catch tank for any engine crankcase breather, period. The latter says your IT car is permitted a catch tank, if an engine breather line is disconnected.

So which is it for an IT car? Does the "...shall be equipped" wording of GCR 9.3.37 apply, therefore making a catch tank mandantory? Or is it that a catch tank is "permitted" and therefore optional, but only if another condition is met? Seems to me that a major part of ITCS 9.1.3.D.1.i is superfluous at best, conflicting at worst. Incidentally, the SSCS makes absolutely no mention of catch tanks... do the showroom stockers run them, or not?
    Last edited by Gary L; 03-20-2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: clarify ITCS paragraph number
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

If you must leave all the equipment there, why would you not just put a little washer fluid in it and keep it operational for those times the car in front of you oils down your windshield?

T

Really what you are saying Ron is that you can modify any stock part that could perform an allowed function...and I just don't buy it.
    Naw. What I'm really saying is that a washer bottle could work great as an oil catch can. Don't see that it needs any modification at all. Zip-tie the breather hose right over the washer bottle fluid opening. Now if you say that is illegal, well, then we've all got illegal cars because the rules don't state things like "yes, you can zip-tie your Tracmate cord to the heater hose" and what not.

Gary, don't have the CGR handy - does GCR 9.3.37 say the can must be metal? Seems I remember that the oil catch can had to be metal. That would eliminate washer bottles.

Catch tank material is not specified... here's 9.3.37 in it's entirety:

Oil holding tanks and engine breathers, whether directly or indirectly ventilating the crankcase, and all transmission/transaxle breathers shall be equipped with oil catch tanks. Minimum catch tank capacity shall be one U.S. quart for the engine and transmission/transaxle. Oil holding tanks and oil filters may be mounted in the driver/passenger compartment. A metal bulkhead shall prevent exposure of the driver to oil spillage. Oil catch tanks shall vent into the engine compartment or outside the driver’s compartment. A crankcase vacuum breather that passes through the oil catch tank(s) to exhaust systems or vacuum devices that connect directly to exhaust systems is prohibited.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

Washer bottle? Mine's gone! That was the happiest day so far this year when working on the race car. Well, that and realizing that I could move the battery to the rear of the car and complete remove the dashboard and everything else in there...

(note, I'm moving to FP)

One could argue that you are using the washer bottle for something other than it's original purpose, therefore it is against the IT rules.
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

So does GCR 9.3.37 override the IT rules?

Quote Originally Posted by planet6racing View Post
    One could argue that you are using the washer bottle for something other than it's original purpose, therefore it is against the IT rules.
    Well....the brake assembly is for slowing down the car. And the transmission is used for matching engine speed to road speed, allowing the car to travel at higher speeds and accelerate at a given road speed. Many times I like to use my engine and transmission, instead of my brakes, for slowing down my car. Am I using an item for something other than it's original purpose and in violation of the rules?
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 03-20-2009 at 09:38 AM.

My thoughts are that if we would modify the rules to allow the removal of the washer bottle no cars would see any performance gains, but many employers would get a little more out of their employees.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Naw. What I'm really saying is that a washer bottle could work great as an oil catch can. Don't see that it needs any modification at all. Zip-tie the breather hose right over the washer bottle fluid opening.
    Where is 'your' cap in this example? My point is that you need to modify the part in order to make it work. Attaching a legal item with zip ties, velcro, gold-plated zip screws - all legal...as long as they don't perform an illegal function at the same time.

I haven't seen a WB set-up where it's not capped or has 'access holes' in it. Yes, they make good catch cans (provided you don't melt them) but you still haven't proven that they would be legal. It's easy and convienent - and nobody would protest (IMHO), but still not legal IMHO.

I can't stress how much I know these things are petty, but re-read the OP's question.
    Andy Bettencourt

Where is 'your' cap in this example? My point is that you need to modify the part in order to make it work. Attaching a legal item with zip ties, velcro, gold-plated zip screws - all legal...as long as they don't perform an illegal function at the same time.
    I figured I'd simply leave the cap attached but dangling off to the side.

I haven't seen a WB set-up where it's not capped or has 'access holes' in it. Yes, they make good catch cans (provided you don't melt them) but you still haven't proven that they would be legal.
    Hell, it is all hypothetical for me anyhow.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post
    My thoughts are that if we would modify the rules to allow the removal of the washer bottle no cars would see any performance gains, but many employers would get a little more out of their employees.

R
    Funny - but not true. Why? As has been beaten to death, the WB is poster child for 'what I don't need to build a racecar' or 'if it isn't performance or safety related, it should be able to be removed' arguement. The line in the sand is there. No compelling reasons to move it IMHO have been made to date. Glass windshield, glass hatches, headlights, horns, taillights, dashboards, heater cores...the list goes on and on.

Everyone has thier own definition of what is 'right for a racecar'.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I figured I'd simply leave the cap attached but dangling off to the side.

Hell, it is all hypothetical for me anyhow.

Ron
    I like the example. The cap off is certainly within 'factory spec', even if open. I keep envisioning the ones I have seen where they are all hacked up and modded to accept the potential of a 300 degree dump. It's a fine line, but a line non-the-less.

I would call that a legal idea...just don't modify the stock part as many do.

On a side note, I don't run a breather - these motors have such little you can do to them, it it neccessary?
    Andy Bettencourt

....On a side note, I don't run a breather - these motors have such little you can do to them, it it neccessary?
    Andy, i am going to bend the thread a bit. i thought most of us ended up with open ended hoses when we ditched the emissions stuff off the car. instead of venting the valve cover back to the throttle body, i plugged the applicable holes at the TB and vented the valve cover to a 1 qt. quaker state catch bottle.

Dave, back to part of your original question, i keep meaning to install a catch can for the vent of my transmission since it is required per the GCR 9.3.37 (see Gary's post above). however, i don't ever recall anyone else having one either.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

What's a washer bottle? I have a pimpy radiator overflow with a pump.
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Well this does beg the question about the new wording in the ITCS that was brought in new for this year:

9.1.3.B Other than those specifically allowed by these rules, no component or part normally found on a stock example of a given vehicle may be disabled, altered, or removed.

So based on this, you can't use the washer bottle because it cannot be disabled.

But tell me this - how do you mount the new catch tank? Can't modify, alter or remove anything so how do you drill a hole in the fender well to mount it? Drilling a hole is modifying a stock part is it not?

Can't weld anything onto your stock tow hook to make it meet the 2" diameter requirement.

The list goes on forever. This new wording has struck me as an open door to protest anyone you don't like. I don't understand its need or purpose, I'm curious to hear other opinions.

Matt