Thread: Mylaps is officially worthless

Default Mylaps is officially worthless

I see Todd Greene has a car for sale and I'm curious what kind of results he's had with it.

I go to mylaps and search on Todd Greene, nothing. I use Google and find Todd ran the 2008 Labor Day Atlanta at Barber. I look up that event and find Todd.

Check out this event. http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=942540 Group 2, DNS TODD GREENE (Sorry Todd, its the easy one to find).

Now go search on Todd Greene. Nothing.

What a worthless POS website. They definitely solved the problem of overuse.

jim
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

I agree, they definitely ruined the search feature to the point of being useless. I have actually sent feedback to them on multiple occasions about their search feature and have heard nothing back from them. I guess if you have a monopoly, customer service is not important.

I can say that when trying to search for event names and organizations, putting the entire search field in quotes helps. I tried that with racer names, and it apparently doesn't help, but I thought I'd throw this out in case anyone was curious.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

Todd's car came to my house when we did annuals last month. It is a very clean sanitary car. I was impressed. Can't say about results, though, as I have also dammed the MyLaps site. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Having dealt with AMB regarding track timing hardware (not transponders), I got the distinct feeling that the local US office in Georgia is just one guy sitting at a desk in some warehouse waiting to take orders for transponders.
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

So, I ran a search for my name. Last I checked, I know how to spell my name, and i know I'm on my laps and: Zero hits.

I double checked by signing in, and yes, my results are there, and my name is ....my name. Spelled correctly. Wow.

So, I wrote a rather annoyed email. (Rather embarrassed about that now, LOL)

....your search is useless. I put in my name, for example. (Jake Gulick) I tried others...and it returned nothing. Zero results. Your company is acting like the monopoly that it is, and that stinks.
    Expecting nothing in response, i got this today:

Dear Jake,

Thank you for your email. The search is different from before, but actually a lot better. It did not find all entries related to a search item and now it does.

If you could give me your phone number I would like to call you and show you that the search function is actually not that bad. After the initial search, you may get a lot of hits. You can then narrow your search by events, practice, racers and organizations.

Please have a look at the screenshots below. Maybe the difference lies in the fact that I searched only with your last name, we will look at this in more detail.

I don’t see how a high market share would allow us to provide less than great service or reduce our interest in our customers needs. That is certainly not the case at AMB. MyLaps is free and more than 90,000 members are enjoying this service. We are investing a great deal in this site and you will see improvements and enhancements in the future. For the same reason, your feedback is much appreciated and I will make sure our marketing department sees it as well.

Sincerely,

Bernd Pluimers
    AMB i.t. US, Inc.
    Wow. And it's obviously written by a human. He included a screen shot showing the results of a search for "Gulick"...and it worked.

So, I wnet to mylaps and entered my name in the cover pages search box. Nothing.

Hmmm, the results page includes options for "events" "racers", etc, so I clicked racer, and sure enough, it found me, and listed my "recent events". Onlt about 10 results, back to October of 08.

So, it seems to be functioning, but with caveats. I give them credit for responding, but they should hire google to write their algorithms!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I think their human support is about as reliable as their algorithms cause I have written them multiple times and never heard from them before.

Jake, did you submit the email through their feedback page or did you find an email address somewhere? Each time I wrote them it was through their feedback page, so maybe that is a black hole.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

Quote Originally Posted by mc-integra111 View Post
    I think their human support is about as reliable as their algorithms cause I have written them multiple times and never heard from them before.

Jake, did you submit the email through their feedback page or did you find an email address somewhere? Each time I wrote them it was through their feedback page, so maybe that is a black hole.
    If you have to have a guy call from AMB to figure out how to do a search, somethings not right with the software!

I went through "feedback" and he responded in a day. i wrote back, with comments, and the "Todd Greene" example. We'll see.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I have found that it is better to search by the last name. Don't know why but usually find who i'm looking for.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

I prety sure Todd already sold it.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.