Thread: CCPS-VIR cool down lap ruled legal for scoring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just want to clarify something here -

The decision on the protest, that was filed after the Chief Steward's decision, came from the "Stewards of the Meet" (SOM), not a "Steward of the Meet". Plural, not singular. The SOM's are a group of Stewards...an actual committee...who are not involved in any of the "operational" things going on all weekend...they're just there to serve as an "impartial" court.

While the SOMs discuss the facts, listen to competitors / officials and consult the GCR, they shouldn't make their decision outside of the rules in the GCR. They may come to a decision about "gray" areas, but if there is any hard language in the GCR, they're kinda sorta obligated to follow those rules. If a protestee is still unhappy with a decision of the SOM's, they can appeal to the national Court of Appeals (COA)...that's all that really fun stuff to read in Fastrack every month.

Lots of times, a SOM committee will come to a decision, but actually tell someone involved in a protest that they should file an appeal to the national COA, because the SOM's feel that there IS a legitimate reason to appeal. I've been an SOM where the committee came to decision "X", but told the competitor that they REALLY SHOULD APPEAL to the national COA, because "Y" might really be the better answer, based on a broader picture.

Confused about the issues and protests at VIR ("who" did "what" to "who", and "when ?), but it sounds like some of you guys were encouraged to protest. In my mind, that's a pretty cool thing.

When there is more than one option that can be backed by the GCR what is the best choice? Split hairs and go with the wrong but justifiable decision and urge an appeal, or make the right decision in the first place and let that be appealed? Seems pretty simple now doesn't it? There is a higher level of transparency needed for this particular race because it was part of a money paying series. Not hanging the SOM for this just yet.

And I feel your pain on the race schedule planning, damn what an eye opening experience my first time as race chair. A whole new level of respect for those that volunteer for this madness.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)