Thread: CCPS-VIR cool down lap ruled legal for scoring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the facts. It certainly is an interesting case of anything can happen.
    Starter goofed it happens.
    Cars were run down pit lane to timing line, no big deal, they are just gathering data. Really did not mean much.
    Sound like the Chief Steward made the right call in impound.
    It sounds like we will be reading about the SOM in Fastrack.
    As to the unsafe cool off lap you have to be on your toes. Someone could not see a checker in any race. Back when I was flagging a lot I saw a lot of dumb incidents on cool off laps. I would never put down the blue flag on the cool off lap because way too often I had someone come screaming down on someone not paying attention.
    The only thing I can think of that the official could have done when they realized the situation if they felt it was unsafe is a black flag all stations.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Thanks for that info Rick and Gary. It does indeed sound like a simple goof that could happen in any race.

Ron

Default No conspiracy.

Sure hate to see all the attempts to make this a conspiracy against any series, organization or person. I was at the Comp. Board meeting when this schedule was established and no one there had a negative attitude about CCPS. There was, however, a lot of manipulation of the day's schedule layed out in 5 minute increments to allow for rules, back to back classes and the general comfort of all competitors – you might not imagine how complicated that is. I thought it was all simple until I became a Board member and sat in on these meetings. You will never know how dedicated these people are and how little room there is for a conspiracy. These people worked extremely hard to fit 4 races into one weekend and I left that meeting with the feeling that there would be no way you could schedule 4 races in a 2 day weekend without having some kind of conflict to my race program. The result is that I raced what I was comfortable with, didn't race the others and didn't complain. I don't think any conspiracy caused this race to be last and I don't think CCPS is always last.

This problem was caused by a simple administration error, caused by, again the most devoted and hard working volunteers you can find. An error, not a conspiracy. I, as a racer, am not bothered by a simple error like this at all. If I didn't make any errors I would probably win some races, but I do make errors. This is not a pro series – if you want error free administration and no volunteer help you should go pro racing. Very little that happens at these races, if no one gets hurt, effects life as we know it. This is for fun.

The race steward made an announcement in impound after the race that revealed the error and his resolution. His decision made since to me and I think most others, because no one reacted negatively at the time. After that is when things went wrong. A protest was filed by a competitor that caused review of the GCR rules that apply and the Stewards decision was changed. That change is what made this problem. No other circumstances apply. No conspiracy was in play. If you want to change the future results of races like this, its the GCR that may need to be changed, or more reasonable interpretations of that document. This decision certainly effects the safety of all concerned for future races. If the Steward said the things he's quoted as saying, the safe standards of racing pounded into us as drivers for so many years is in question. I hope that steward thinks about his decision and the many ways the GCR can be interpreted.
    Rex T. Deffenbaugh, owner Happy Jap's Auto Repair, Cary NC, ITS and IT7 driver, driver liasion to NCR SCCA Comp. Board contact happyjaps.com

Just want to clarify something here -

The decision on the protest, that was filed after the Chief Steward's decision, came from the "Stewards of the Meet" (SOM), not a "Steward of the Meet". Plural, not singular. The SOM's are a group of Stewards...an actual committee...who are not involved in any of the "operational" things going on all weekend...they're just there to serve as an "impartial" court.

While the SOMs discuss the facts, listen to competitors / officials and consult the GCR, they shouldn't make their decision outside of the rules in the GCR. They may come to a decision about "gray" areas, but if there is any hard language in the GCR, they're kinda sorta obligated to follow those rules. If a protestee is still unhappy with a decision of the SOM's, they can appeal to the national Court of Appeals (COA)...that's all that really fun stuff to read in Fastrack every month.

Lots of times, a SOM committee will come to a decision, but actually tell someone involved in a protest that they should file an appeal to the national COA, because the SOM's feel that there IS a legitimate reason to appeal. I've been an SOM where the committee came to decision "X", but told the competitor that they REALLY SHOULD APPEAL to the national COA, because "Y" might really be the better answer, based on a broader picture.

Confused about the issues and protests at VIR ("who" did "what" to "who", and "when ?), but it sounds like some of you guys were encouraged to protest. In my mind, that's a pretty cool thing.

When there is more than one option that can be backed by the GCR what is the best choice? Split hairs and go with the wrong but justifiable decision and urge an appeal, or make the right decision in the first place and let that be appealed? Seems pretty simple now doesn't it? There is a higher level of transparency needed for this particular race because it was part of a money paying series. Not hanging the SOM for this just yet.

And I feel your pain on the race schedule planning, damn what an eye opening experience my first time as race chair. A whole new level of respect for those that volunteer for this madness.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Well, I am most certainly guilty of jumping the gun here, and my apologies on that.

If I wasn't clear in later posts, NCR is the best.

In any event, my initial reacion was wrong, and I'll leave it up as a reminder not do that again.

Sorry Rex.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by happyjap View Post
    Sure hate to see all the attempts to make this a conspiracy against any series, organization or person. I was at the Comp. Board meeting when this schedule was established and no one there had a negative attitude about CCPS. There was, however, a lot of manipulation of the day's schedule layed out in 5 minute increments to allow for rules, back to back classes and the general comfort of all competitors – you might not imagine how complicated that is. I thought it was all simple until I became a Board member and sat in on these meetings. You will never know how dedicated these people are and how little room there is for a conspiracy. These people worked extremely hard to fit 4 races into one weekend and I left that meeting with the feeling that there would be no way you could schedule 4 races in a 2 day weekend without having some kind of conflict to my race program. The result is that I raced what I was comfortable with, didn't race the others and didn't complain. I don't think any conspiracy caused this race to be last and I don't think CCPS is always last.

This problem was caused by a simple administration error, caused by, again the most devoted and hard working volunteers you can find. An error, not a conspiracy. I, as a racer, am not bothered by a simple error like this at all. If I didn't make any errors I would probably win some races, but I do make errors. This is not a pro series – if you want error free administration and no volunteer help you should go pro racing. Very little that happens at these races, if no one gets hurt, effects life as we know it. This is for fun.

The race steward made an announcement in impound after the race that revealed the error and his resolution. His decision made since to me and I think most others, because no one reacted negatively at the time. After that is when things went wrong. A protest was filed by a competitor that caused review of the GCR rules that apply and the Stewards decision was changed. That change is what made this problem. No other circumstances apply. No conspiracy was in play. If you want to change the future results of races like this, its the GCR that may need to be changed, or more reasonable interpretations of that document. This decision certainly effects the safety of all concerned for future races. If the Steward said the things he's quoted as saying, the safe standards of racing pounded into us as drivers for so many years is in question. I hope that steward thinks about his decision and the many ways the GCR can be interpreted.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8