Thread: More on tires. SRF Goodyears for IT.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default why change the rule

I have been racing on used Hoosier take offs for over a year now. My best tires are at least 18 months old. I have take offs from Pete E and from Bruce S. In years past I've bought plenty of used Hoosiers and maybe a few Toyos from Mike VS. He has a whole garage stacked up with them in very good condition.

The point is that the SRF tires are not free until someone gives you their used ones. If you want cheap tires there are plenty of good used ones out there that are IT legal. Tons of them. So why change the rule? If you want to buy the SRF tires and use them for track days and maybe practice sessions to save your race tires for qualifying and races, then do that. But stay legal with DOT tires that meet the rules when you qualify and race.

I have been thinking about breaking down and buying my first set of new tires in 21 months. Now I'm thinking about saving the money and getting another set of used. Kip, whatcha got in 15's?
    Mike Guenther
    ITR #11
    http://www.improvedtouring.com

I forgot they are not DOT approved I personally don't feel it is a good idea there are lots of other good places out there to get used tires I think the idea of upgrading to a 15" wheel and buying used spec miata tires is a great idea.
    Mike Uhlinger

Quote Originally Posted by ekim952522000 View Post
    I forgot they are not DOT approved I personally don't feel it is a good idea there are lots of other good places out there to get used tires I think the idea of upgrading to a 15" wheel and buying used spec miata tires is a great idea.
    Except for the part about becoming friends with Miata guys.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Why do you care if they are IT legal? Thats a fair question to ask IMHO.

What, is someone going to protest you for going over 2 seconds off the pace??

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Why do you care if they are IT legal? Thats a fair question to ask IMHO.

What, is someone going to protest you for going over 2 seconds off the pace??

-Tom
    Sombody 3 seconds off the pace? Patullo said something to this effect once: No legal car should ever finish behind an illegal car, no metter what position they cross the line.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967