Thread: Koni 8611 custom coilovers

Default Koni 8611 custom coilovers

is anyone familliar with "JT191" from the SCCAforums.com site? back in december 2007, he posted about a kit to build a custom, threaded-body coilover for 86 series koni inserts. I would love to get a hold of these.

thanks in advance.

offsite link to thread: http://sccaforums.com/forums/post/278319.aspx

For what car? We built our own struts to use 8611s in the NX2000... - GA

If its a 240Z, I sell complete strut kits including the 8611.

I'm specifically interested putting them on our AW11 MR2s.

the late rear tubes take 8610/8611 inserts, none of the fronts do, and Koni's best suggestion is to use the earlier rear "sport" damper in the front tube - which is apparently not quite up to the task of handling the spring rates we use.

TGA - did you just weld onto the 8611 case or fab a housing when you made yours for the nissan?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    TGA - did you just weld onto the 8611 case or fab a housing when you made yours for the nissan?
    Everything was brandy-new, fabbed from scratch, including tabs. Then we used GC upper slip-on collars.

I've not seen an AW tubes, but when I was building the SW chassis I found that the stock struts would have been pretty good for 8611 inserts. In fact, they fit diametrically very well, and all we had to do was space them accordingly for length. Eventually we would have made custom tubes, but that was a decent start.

GA

With the Subaru STi, the Koni inserts wouldn't fit inside the stock housing, so you could hammer off the stock ears off the strut and use your own tube and weld the stock ears on.

If you fab yours from scratch though, you can alter the geometry as you see fit in terms of how they attach to the car/camber/etc

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

yeah - homebrew is pretty much where I'm going at this point. with 2 cars worth + spares to make, it's just sensible to have mounting ears water-jetted and the tubes fab'ed to our design. thanks all.