Thread: Nitto NT-01 Tires

Default Nitto NT-01 Tires

We are considering running Nitto NT-01's on our ITA Honda Civic Si. We have run a couple of races at Hallett and are just learning. The tires that we have run have been used tires that came with the car when we bought it. We had a set of pretty worn Toyo RA1's that we corded by locking it up. Then we have 2 sets of pretty worn R6's, so we have never had a new set of tires to compare anything to. We are looking for a tire that is going to last and is affordable. We want seat time so we can become consistent then worry about speed later. I figure any new tire will be as fast as the worn out tires we have been running. From what I have read you don't have to shave the Nitto's like the RA1's. I can get a set of Nitto's from Discount Tire Direct for $496 shipped. Has anyone run these tires? I would like to hear some feedback before we pull the trigger and order a set. Give me your opinions please.
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class

I've ran the NT01's. I've also ran the RA1's.

To put it simple: The NT01's are better in everyway. They don't need shaved (but can be), they provide much better initial full-tread grip and last longer. I wouldn't hesitate to get them as a great 100 treadwear tire.
    Like you said, they aren't the fastest when compared to lower treadwear tires like the Z214, V710, R6, A6, R1...

Quote Originally Posted by boomn29 View Post
    I've ran the NT01's. I've also ran the RA1's.

To put it simple: The NT01's are better in everyway. They don't need shaved (but can be), they provide much better initial full-tread grip and last longer. I wouldn't hesitate to get them as a great 100 treadwear tire.
    Like you said, they aren't the fastest when compared to lower treadwear tires like the Z214, V710, R6, A6, R1...
    I've heard very similar comments about them. They seem to be in a great sweet spot pricing wise also.

I'll be running a set of them on my turbo miata for this season of open track/hpde events.

I do NOT speak from NT01 experience but i have run the toyo.

Based on your goals for this set of tires, I would be hard pressed to try anything other than the toyo. Its proven on the track and it lasts forever- heck its fastest at the very end of its life.

I would be reluctant to try the nitto when the toyo has such a good reputation and is relatively affordable. Although it seems that others who have more experience than me seem to think highly of them. -if you save a lot yea go for it but if their priced the same go with the safe option. Toyo

I tired RA1, R6, A032, R888 and NT01
    The best bang for the buck is NT01

ELO168,
    You said you have run all those different tires and the Nitto is the best bang for the buck. Can you give me any lap time comparisons, the feel of the tires, and a comparison of the longevity.
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

I believe the NT-01's share the same compound as the RA-1 and R-888. I ran my friend's ITS 240SX on new set of NT-01's yesterday and really liked them. They're definitely not as quick as the V-710's he normally runs, but they were consistent and very durable. The car ran practice/qual/race in 2 classes plus a 65 min. mini enduro yesterday and they still have a decent amount of wear left. We have several guys who swear by them for use in our local race series.
    Troy Marcella
    1985 Spec RX-7

I've run RA1s and NT01s. In my mind, the NT01s give up very little, if anything, to the RA1s when run at shallow tread in the dry.

No matter what anyone says, you STILL have to shave the Nittos if you want maximum dry performance. Case in point: At MidOhio last year, I ran the NT01s unshaved in dry and cool conditions and had absolute fits with overheating. At Nelson Ledges I was twice forced to run my RA1 rain tires at full tread in dry and warm conditions, and despite the narrower tread blocks, the tires never went off.

Plus, don't even think about running Nittos in wet conditions, even at full tread. Just look at the fat tread blocks with their relative lack of rain grooves.

Bottom line: NT01 is a great budget tire only if run shaved in dry conditions.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Bringing this thread back to the surface. Does anyone have experience running the Nitto's unshaved on a 2300lb car in warmer temperatures?
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    Bringing this thread back to the surface. Does anyone have experience running the Nitto's unshaved on a 2300lb car in warmer temperatures?
    Just ran 2 days on brand new 225/45/15s in my 2350 (with me in car) turbo miata on Autobahn South track and loved it. Kept tire pressures between 34-36, 2psi higher front to rear and wear was very very nice. I haven't checked them after my last couple sessions, but the 1.5day mark they were even and looked very healthy.

Temps first day were ~70. It hit almost 80 on the 2nd day. The car stuck like glue and they squealed nicely at the limit.

So far I'm very happy that I picked them for my new HPDE tire.

ive run the nto1 and ra1s on my 2600 lbs ITA race car. didnt feel a big difference between the 2 but my car is really softly sprung. also my friends race car same as mine ran a set on NT01s the whole season last year 8-9 race weekends plus one this year and 3 full track days before they started chording temp range from 45-105 on the race weekends. got to love the northwest we had snow again for the first race this year.

You might want to watch this thread at SM dot com for more Nitto news. It appears that WDCR is testing the waters in SM for these tires as well.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

two teams will be running nittos in the NARRC series this season. We'll let you know how yhey work
    Dan
    70 IT7

My Brother and I ran at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Oklahoma this past weekend. We had the Nitto's heat cycled at discount tire direct and we are running them full tread, no shaving. I ran 3 sessions on an older set of Hoosiers that are still in good shape, then we put on the new Nitto NT01's and I ran 2 sessions on them. My lap times were just as fast as the older Hoosiers but more consistent. I thought the tires felt great, to me they had more grip. Now you have to understand that we have never had a new set of Hoosiers, these were used and we have no idea how many heat cycles they have on them, all we know is they haven't corded yet. My brother ran 2 sessions on Sunday on the older Hoosiers and then 3 sessions on the Nitto's. He said he thought they felt the same as the Hoosiers. He actually ran faster on the Nitto's than the Hoosiers and again his lap times were more consistent. Right before my brothers last session (the 12 lap race) it came in an poured rain. The track was wet when the race started and began to dry some during the race. The Nitto's did better on the wet track than we expected. My brother said they felt really good. He finished 2nd overall among 3 classes. Even after five 20min. sessions at Hallett which is known to be very hard on tires we see very little wear on the Nitto's. We are very happy with the Nitto's and will probably buy another set, and did I mention they are $300 a set cheaper than the Hoosiers! For us they are a great deal. They might not work for everyone, but if you are on a budget like us you should give them a try.