Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hallett R/N/IT, Apr 4-5

Travis,
    That was the same question others were asking. I think he must be a COMMA guy with a pretty hot Miata. At least D. Reynolds told me the car was plenty fast. ( And he drove it well.) Hallett is getting known for "home cookin" (meaning the fast guys that run there a lot benefit at Hallett more than at other tracks do to it's technical aspects.) COMMA has some really fast guys & cars these days. That particular miata looked like it would give the "Yellow Beast" all it wanted, so you can figure it is a fast car.
    Tnord you should get your "S" together and see what you can do in July.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Oh yeah can I count on you for "crew chief" next month at HPT?
    If so please wear a Groucho Marx disguise so that the Ozmant clan won't be after me!
    Last edited by IPRESS; 04-08-2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Mac Spikes

Mac - Do you know why John only ran half of the C race? Nice Acura, BTW.
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    '96 Neon #19 ITA (finally )
    Formerly known as P Sherm
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176

Yes Brian is a regular in the COMMA series and won the PA division last year in that car. It is a quick little Miata. We have to find some speed in our little Civic to keep up this season as it looks like his lap times are considerably quicker than last season. One of these days we will race with you SCCA guys
    1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA PA class

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    Travis,
    That was the same question others were asking. I think he must be a COMMA guy with a pretty hot Miata. At least D. Reynolds told me the car was plenty fast. ( And he drove it well.) Hallett is getting known for "home cookin" (meaning the fast guys that run there a lot benefit at Hallett more than at other tracks do to it's technical aspects.) COMMA has some really fast guys & cars these days. That particular miata looked like it would give the "Yellow Beast" all it wanted, so you can figure it is a fast car.
    Tnord you should get your "S" together and see what you can do in July.

Oh yeah can I count on you for "crew chief" next month at HPT?
    If so please wear a Groucho Marx disguise so that the Ozmant clan won't be after me!
    i'm trying.....but there's a lot to be done, and life keeps getting in the way. the 4th of july weekend is always hard for me to make, but this year it will be extra difficult with my cousin getting married that weekend.

yeah, there's nothing i know of that would keep me away from topeka that weekend. so count me in.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

PSherm,
    I didn't get a chance to talk to John. I am sot sure, he was at impound and got third. He drove the car to the trailer and nothing looked or sounded bad. He may have just wanted to save car & tires. We talked a lot about costs at lunch. I wish he had kept going as racing with him was making me drive about two seconds faster per lap. He has been at this a long time so he knows what he needs to do to be ready for RAmerica. I don't expect to run the Acura more than one or two more weekends before the RunOffs. I may run ITA in the miata some this summer.

Keep your ear out for someone who would like to make a run at the 2010 RunOffs. The Acura will be a pretty cost effective way to go. It is the reason I got it and will sell it AT or AFTER the 09 RunOffs. Moving it to SSC has made it have a decent chance (especially with a better driver) at RAmerica.
    Mac Spikes

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    so who is this brian laughlin guy and where did he come from?
    Brian has been running COMMA events at Hallett for several years, at least since I came back to racing in 2005, so I've been able to watch him mature as a race driver. When I first started running with him in COMMA, to say Brian was inconsistent would be a gross understatement. IIRC, his best lap times were in the 1:36 - 1:37 range at that time, and he was off course a lot. By early last year though, he and I were running fairly evenly at Hallett, in the 1:32 - 1:33 neighborhood. In fact, we had a pretty good race at the Hallett SCCA meet a year ago this month. Now, he's running consistent 1:30 - 1:31's, and I'm sure there is more to come. After all, his new ITA lap record (1:29.975) is still nearly a second off the SM record.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael