Thread: 16 valve to an 8 valve

Default 16 valve to an 8 valve

To all you VW guru's has anybody taken a 16 valve 1.8 and made into an 8 valve? If so how did you get the distributor to work. Do I need to find an 8 valve motor or can i just switch out the intermediate shaft? Any and all info is good. I'm trying to put a motor together so I can go to the april school. Basicaly done just need to figure this distributor thing out! Thanks ahead

You will need to change the oil pump to an 8V pump, take the pump drive out, (where the distributor would be) send it to me, and drop an 8V distributor in.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

You need to find an 8v motor. Dropping an 8v head on a 16v bottom end will give you a very high compression motor (doing the opposite 16v head on 8v motor does the opposite, which many folks do when building budget turbo cars). The CIS-E systems are the same, but you may also need the 8v fuel injector lines to properly reach the fuel distributor.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Hello Tim,
    You will need to change the following: Pistons/Rods (even thought the rods are the same length, 144mm, the pin dia. might be different depending on the year of the car), Intermediate shaft, Oil pump, Distributor, and you will need to block off the oil squirters in the block as well as the front 16v breather. You will also need an 8v Cam/Inter. Shaft sprocket as well as the lower timing gear. To be honest its really not worth the trouble. Check around and see if anyone is letting one go for cheap or even giving an old 8v away. Try VwVortex or craigslist. Good luck

Tim,
    I am looking to sell my VW stuff. I bought a MKII project that NOT get done. I have alot of RACE stuff that I NEED to get rid of. One of those my loss is your gain things. I was going to do an ITB 8v golf.....so i have everything you need to go that route.

. I was thinking of tossing the shell and parting out the rest, but would prefer to sell it all at once. (non sunroof car)

my email me if you are [email protected]

I would love to see this go to a fellow racer !

-john
    Last edited by Rabbit05; 03-03-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

Tried to email you about the shell you have John, but it got bounced back.

I am looking for a spare shell. If you are selling, could you send me some pictures of the floor and underbody condition? fvgngn (at) sbcglobal (dot) net
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Chris,
    I will try to get pics to you this weekend. This stuff has been hanging around too long. The shell was rust free when I got it .It came from W.V. and it never left the spot we were working on it.

E-mail : [email protected]

For some reason it picked up another word on the post above .

I guess I should make a new post about my VW sale.

-john
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

Chris
    I sold that shell to John two years ago. It was mostly stripped of the black goo and was in good shape when it left my garage. It was a non sunroof car that was destined to be a good tub for someone. The rest of the bits that went with the tub were all top quality stuff too.

John
    I am sorry to hear that things never took off.

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Tim
    I think that you are fighting a loosing battle with the 16v to 8v swap. Too much effort and expense for no gain.
    I know that I have a couple of 8v 1.8l motors behind my garage that John did not take. If you want one just ask. Although I am a bit of a hike from you.
    Did you check with Dick Shine to see if he has anything lying around?

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Thanks for all the info I have an expired 1.8 with all the internals so expense is cut down just needed to know it could be done with some effort and time so hopefully it will all be done this weekend and running !!!

bad luck to me the 1.8 distributor will not fit in the 16v dis port that suck I wish it would with some minor work but NO!!!! if anybody has any info otherwise letme know I just bought a motor 1.8 so I can go to school Good luck to me