To paraphrase Richard Pryor, "Fire is inspirational!!"
My brother and I crewed for Ricky Thompson's ITR car this past weekend at Road Atlanta. What we used was our old G-Force 505 suits (about $250 now), our balaclavas, our helmets (with the visor down), and old race gloves. After having to put out fires while working corners, one of the things that made the biggest impression on me is the fact that sometimes ONE bottle isn't enough to put out even a reasonably small fire. This is exacerbated if the person on the bottle panics, doesn't know the PASS rule for using it, or if the person on fire panics and doesn't sit still for the folks with the bottles! After being stuck briefly in a car on fire about two years ago, I can tell you that panic at the thought of being burned will make you do some STUPID things even when you know better.
My $0.02 worth is to ask yourself, how much would I pay and how much hassle would I go through to minimize the chance of doing a Richard Pryor imitation?

G-Force 505..............$250
Simpson Voyager......$400
G-Force gloves..........$40
Simpson shoes..........$69
Nomex socks.............$20
Not becoming a marshmallow at a campfire.................................PRICELESS !!

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org