Thread: Enduro pit crew gear.

Default Enduro pit crew gear.

Apologies if this has already been covered, I couldn't find what I was looking for with search.

What I was wondering is where I can find the specs on what safety gear and procedures the over the wall crew needs during enduros, is this detailed anywhere on line or in the GCR?

Thanks

It's spelled out by the supps for each event - to the extent that anything is required. It's one of the frustrations of doing these events, that the supps differ from place to place. I think I've got the past rules for the east coast enduros. If you want me to send them to you drop me an email - [email protected]

K

In general, for fueler and fire bottle, it's firesuit, gloves, eye protection and balaclavas at a minimum. Other crew: long pants, shirts and shoes.
    Regards,
    Chuck

Will an old, single layer suit suffice? Personally I wouldn't want to be handling gasoline in my driver's suit.

Well, now we're getting into it. As Kirk points out, the rules are presently in individual race supps and not standardized from race to race. What's good at one race might not be acceptable elsewhere. There is a movement afoot to standardize and include in the GCR in the future. Terry Ozment has asked some people for input. That includes the safety aspects as well as what can be done when and by how many.
    Personnally, I feel that the most dangerous crew job in an endurance race is fueling. I would not scrimp on protection for the fueler and fire bottle person.
    Regards,
    Chuck

True, but the fueler also has a guy standing right there with a fire bottle aimed at him, what happens if he splash gasoline on his driver's suit and still have a turn left at the wheel? Does he then strap himself in the racecar wearing a driver's suit with gasoline on it? Or does he have to buy two double layer suits if he wants to drive and help crew an enduro?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
    Will an old, single layer suit suffice? Personally I wouldn't want to be handling gasoline in my driver's suit.
    Regardless of what the supps say, would you feel safer with an old single layer suit on and open flames coming at you or with your "driver's suit" on and open flames coming at you?

Having been the fueler for many seasons of Enduro, from a fuel jug and a funnel, to fuel can with a dump hose, to Grand AM refueling rigs, I the best protection i can get when im refueling.

In that same time period i have never seen a driver come in direct contact with open flames (yes i am aware it happens but it hasn't happened at a race i have been at), but i have seen 4 fires start while refueling. One on a Grand Am DP, one on a 430 challenge car, a RX8, and a 1st gen RX7.

Fire is more likely in the pits, but help is much closer which is what a fire suit is for: to provide protection until the fire can be extinguished. It seems to me a single layer suit would be perfectly adequate given the circumstances.

You may have also noticed that some of the NASCAR refuelers add a chemical resistant apron. That could be helpful for adding a little more protection - not from fire, but from having the fuel soak the suit.

To paraphrase Richard Pryor, "Fire is inspirational!!"
    My brother and I crewed for Ricky Thompson's ITR car this past weekend at Road Atlanta. What we used was our old G-Force 505 suits (about $250 now), our balaclavas, our helmets (with the visor down), and old race gloves. After having to put out fires while working corners, one of the things that made the biggest impression on me is the fact that sometimes ONE bottle isn't enough to put out even a reasonably small fire. This is exacerbated if the person on the bottle panics, doesn't know the PASS rule for using it, or if the person on fire panics and doesn't sit still for the folks with the bottles! After being stuck briefly in a car on fire about two years ago, I can tell you that panic at the thought of being burned will make you do some STUPID things even when you know better.
    My $0.02 worth is to ask yourself, how much would I pay and how much hassle would I go through to minimize the chance of doing a Richard Pryor imitation?

G-Force 505..............$250
    Simpson Voyager......$400
    G-Force gloves..........$40
    Simpson shoes..........$69
    Nomex socks.............$20
    Not becoming a marshmallow at a campfire.................................PRICELESS !!

Scott Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

Don't forget helmets at NHMS!! :/
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"