Thread: R888 in IT7

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Several of us in Midiv IT7 run the V710's - 215x50x13. We are getting 8-10 heat cycles from them with good grip until the tread is completely gone. Not exactly the life I would like to have but I find that I can start with a set of 4 at the beginning of a season and then purchase additional tires in pairs as I go. I have 8 wheels so I do allot of rotating during a weekend to get the most life.

From a driving perspective, I find that they can be driven hard with allot of slip angle. They are not twitchy and frankly they remind me of the Bias Ply slicks I used to autocross on.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

I'm not a Mazda guy.

But, I ran a set of 888's on my e-36 325 And found they need much LESS camber, they were a little quicker than the RA1 but wore out in two weekends!
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER
    GT International BMW Service since 1976

I'm not sure about the Florida guys, but I think I'm the only one who has tried R888s on an IT7 in the northern half of SEDiv. I've only run them a couple times, so I can't comment on wear and maintaining speed over the long term yet. My main observations so far are that they are, over the first 4 cycles, about the same speed as fairly-well used RA1s (approx 20 cycles), but faster than new RA1s. (I have seen a weird pattern where my new RA1s are always slower than ones with 10 or even 20 cycles. After 3 or 4 cycles they are about even with the older ones. This showed up even with RA1s shaved to 2/32s.) So, overall, I'm reasonably sure the 888s are at least as fast as the RA1s, at least to start off.

And the 888s do seem to like a bit less camber. With the same camber as I've settled on for the RA1s, the 888s give a noticeably larger inside to outside temperature difference - 20-25 degrees for the 888s vs about 10 for the RA1s. I haven't optimized the camber for the 888s yet, but I'm sure they will like less than the RA1s. But then I run a ridiculous amount of camber on the RA1s to begin with.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?