Thread: R888 in IT7

Default R888 in IT7

I am not looking to start a political fire storm about spec tires but I would like to learn about the Toyo R888 on a 1st gen Rx7 and those of you running in the SE Div would seem to have some knowledge.
    I am curious as to how the R888s hold up.
    How many cycles can you run them before they start to go off?
    Do they have drop off toward the end of a race?
    I assume most people have them shaved, is there a consensus at to the best starting tread depth?
    Do you need to heat cycle them like Hoosiers to get decent life out of them?
    Any other thoughts?
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Dick - the guys are down at Sebring right now and like the tire on the new SM's we built this winter. Word is no drop off during a race and it needs less camber than the RA-1 according to the pyrometer.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Dick, do a search on the SM site for R888 feed back.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Dick - the guys are down at Sebring right now and like the tire on the new SM's we built this winter. Word is no drop off during a race and it needs less camber than the RA-1 according to the pyrometer.
    i've heard they're noticeably faster wearing from one of the fast guys at sebring.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Thats interesting.. The Toyo Rep at the PRI show said that the R888 requires a bit more camber than the setup for an RA-1.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Default r888

We have noticed less camber is working better on the BMW's. They dont last as long as the RA-1 and they do seem to drop off as well....

So nobody has any experience with these tires on an IT7 car? I would really like some idea of how many cycles you can get on these tires before they start to drop off.
    In the old days of SM Toyo’s had a reputation for having very long life in terms of number of races you could be competitive. I am really curious if this is the case with the R888’s
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

stick with the Ra1s as long as you can. they are a better tire

^ + 1, who wants to argue with Andy.....

Dick, a racing friend went to Palm Beach/Moroso for the double National. R888 4/32 shave were totally wasted after a test day & two Nationals. He then went on to Sebring with a new set of 3/32 for the single National. IIRC he set on the front row, the 3/32 were much better at Sebring than the 4/32 were at Palm Beach. 2/32's are faster & better yet for those with $$$$. Minimal cycles but then the front 3rd of the field has minimal interest in cycles.

In short from his experience & what I read on the SM site the R888 is a mistake for the last 2/3 rd's of the field. Shave to 2/32, fastest for a couple cycles, then buy some more new tires. Great for the rich guys, sucks for the last 2/3 rd's of the field. If you can get some new RA1"s, get them now.
    Last edited by ddewhurst; 03-01-2009 at 02:28 PM.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Thanks guys, that was the information I was looking for, even if it is not what I want to hear. Now that we have IT7 up here we and we have a small but growing core group it has become pretty obvious that tire bills are the biggest part of our budget. $800 for purple crack every two or three weekends. If we could find a tire that held up like the old Toyo’s did it could make for a lot more bang for the buck. Our hope was not an official spec tire but a gentlemen’s agreement among the regulars, the five or six guys that are at most every race and in the points. That way a tourist that shows up once in a while on old Hoosiers could still race with us.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Several of us in Midiv IT7 run the V710's - 215x50x13. We are getting 8-10 heat cycles from them with good grip until the tread is completely gone. Not exactly the life I would like to have but I find that I can start with a set of 4 at the beginning of a season and then purchase additional tires in pairs as I go. I have 8 wheels so I do allot of rotating during a weekend to get the most life.

From a driving perspective, I find that they can be driven hard with allot of slip angle. They are not twitchy and frankly they remind me of the Bias Ply slicks I used to autocross on.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

I'm not a Mazda guy.

But, I ran a set of 888's on my e-36 325 And found they need much LESS camber, they were a little quicker than the RA1 but wore out in two weekends!
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER
    GT International BMW Service since 1976

I'm not sure about the Florida guys, but I think I'm the only one who has tried R888s on an IT7 in the northern half of SEDiv. I've only run them a couple times, so I can't comment on wear and maintaining speed over the long term yet. My main observations so far are that they are, over the first 4 cycles, about the same speed as fairly-well used RA1s (approx 20 cycles), but faster than new RA1s. (I have seen a weird pattern where my new RA1s are always slower than ones with 10 or even 20 cycles. After 3 or 4 cycles they are about even with the older ones. This showed up even with RA1s shaved to 2/32s.) So, overall, I'm reasonably sure the 888s are at least as fast as the RA1s, at least to start off.

And the 888s do seem to like a bit less camber. With the same camber as I've settled on for the RA1s, the 888s give a noticeably larger inside to outside temperature difference - 20-25 degrees for the 888s vs about 10 for the RA1s. I haven't optimized the camber for the 888s yet, but I'm sure they will like less than the RA1s. But then I run a ridiculous amount of camber on the RA1s to begin with.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?