Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First set of tires

Default First set of tires

Hi,

I am just starting out racing this year in an ITB VW Rabbit GTI. The car came with a set of Hoosier R6's (205/55/ZR14), with not much left on them. I basically plan to use them for drivers school and maybe my first race. But, just to be prepared I am shopping for my first new set now in case I incur a problem.

I am not looking to be incredibly fast, and am looking for a tire that will have good longevity, and be a bit more budget friendly than the R6.

At first, I thought the Kumho V710 might be a good option, but then I saw that it preforms best with up to -1.5 degrees of camber. The car is currently set up with -3 degrees for the hoosier, and for just starting off, I am not looking to do many suspension adjustments.

Any advice for me?

thanks,
    Alex
    Alex Piku
    ITB Rabbit GTI

If you're just starting out........ one thing to consider is what do you do if you have a wet track? A set of RA1 would work all around

Toyos seem to fill lots of needs well, but do nothing really well...which is ideal for a guy just getting his feet wet.

But, get used to alignment changes, LOL. I'm not sure what the Toyos like, but if it's different from the Hoosiers don't let that stand in your way...buddy up with somebody at the track, and they'll show you how to align things..it's really not all that hard. Just remember that toe can change when camber is changed on certain cars.

Welcome to the site and to IT racing! Where are you from?..we'll dispatch an IT.com VW expert to your first race...(kidding, but don't be shocked if you get some friendly help)
    Scratch the question, you're from MI. Vaughan Scott probably knows who you should talk to in that neck of the woods.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

VictoRacers are good to start with, as is the Toyos. But what is even better are 'take-offs'. If you ask around, I'm sure you can find some older tires for free (or really cheap). As with ALL Newbies (me included), you will flat-spot your tires within your first couple of races. My mentor (who has been racing so long that they use to flat-tow with a horse & rope) (just kidding ED), told me NOT to put on ANY new tires during the first year. Did I listen? NO. Did I ruin good tires? YES. I still have a set of rock-hard tires that I put on if the car is having issues & I just need to make laps for my license.
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

What Mark says is true, there are guys on this forum who sell their old tires when they have too many heat cycles.
    Please do not go to driver's school with only one set of worn out tires.
    And take someone with you to change them, you do not have time to attend to tire problems at driver's school.
    I was lucky to have someone with me to change a tire that went flat on the grid!
    Carlos
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

Exactly on all of the above. Take at least a couple of spare, mounted tires to school, a full set if possible.

I would without question start on Toyos. They wear like iron and are much harder to flat spot than Hos or Kumhos. I got over a season out of my first set, and believe me, it wasn't the tires that were holding me back at first -- it was dumbass behind the wheel.

Got to school on takeoffs, race a few times, then get a new set of Toyos and go from there.

Good luck and welcome!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I did my first few seasons on Toyos and would recommend it to anyone. They last. They cost less. They force you to really develop the car and driver to get fast. After I won a good race, I built a motor and tried Hoosiers.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

1st set of tires I bought were Kumho's - net price for 4 tires was $25.00

2nd set was a set of Hankook's - price for 5, shipped to OH from NJ - $150.00

2rd set - Toyo RA1's - $100

Total price for tires - $275

There are some good deals out there. Just need to know where to look.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I have been using a set of Victoracers for the last year and they have held up great, got them on sale from tirerack for $99 each.

Looks like tire racks prices are messed up:
    205/55/14 Victoracer $148
    205/55/14 V710 $128

When I started doing track days with my ITA Honda, I got a set of cheap Avons. And I absolutly hated them with a passion. The tire was heavy as can be and when it wore out...there was no sign..

I then got a set of Kumho Ecsta V710's (205/50/15) and have had really good luck with them. Its a really good tire and I have been pleased with its performance.....

But I was watching the 2008 Runoffs DVD and they mentioned in the SSB race that the V710's are 5lbs. heavier than the Hankook and Hoosiers.

I might try a set of Hoosiers this year.

Where are some good places to look for 14" take offs? I have an ITB GTI that i bought in fall for HPDE this year.

"I am not looking to be incredibly fast,"

Just make sure you are incredibly safe.

I have a set of 14" Toyos with plenty of life on VW snowflakes that I would sell.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Quote Originally Posted by tbelicke View Post
    Where are some good places to look for 14" take offs? I have an ITB GTI that i bought in fall for HPDE this year.
    Check at the track 'Tire Dealers'. Most are happy if you take the old tires (less for them to load). Also, check with some of the front-runners about getting their take-offs. You may have to do some networking (begging), but you should be able to get some. There is NOTHING wrong with running different brands/sizes (205, 225, etc.) on the car at the same time. As long as they stay the same on the same axle. I've seen guys run Hoosiers on the front & Toyos on the rear to get the car to rotate.
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

RA1's? How much? I am local.

Looks like everyone has you covered for advice. I used full tread RA1's when I started since they last longer and can be run at full tread in the dry (didn't need dedicated rain tires). Now that I am trying to compete I use V710's (I still use full tread RA1's in the rain but am hoping the W710 will be made in a 14" size soon).

Quote Originally Posted by alexpq View Post
    At first, I thought the Kumho V710 might be a good option, but then I saw that it preforms best with up to -1.5 degrees of camber. The car is currently set up with -3 degrees for the hoosier, and for just starting off, I am not looking to do many suspension adjustments.
    Depends on the car. I currently run -3 deg (even a touch more) in the front of my car and that works very well.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

How about $200 with the wheels they are on?

Used them for 8 races. I estimate they have 1/2 or more life left. They were shaved when new, and should wear well.

fvgngn (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

setup notes - I need to check but I recall running 2.5-3.5 negative camber in the front, depending on the track layout.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Did you ever run an MK1?

No.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

A Kumho is a much better choice than a Toyo--cheaper too.

You may also want to check out the Hankooks; maybe even cheaper.

Whatever you do, take decent tires to your driver's school; always plan for the worse and hope for the best.

After all is said and done, however, just remind yourself that there simply is nothing faster than a new Hoosier!