Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Inexpensive gauges?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    21

    Default Inexpensive gauges?

    Anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive gauges? Are mechanical or electrical preferred? Will be going into a 1G RX-7. Looking for a Tach, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Coolant Temp at a minimum. Plan to include dual EGT as well. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Autometer Sport Comp, mechanical, try eBay or your favorite racing parts store.

    Dual EGT - Mazdatrix, it's cheaper than the one from Pineapple. These are your best two options.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,346

    Default

    And if you're going to go with cheap stuff, get electrical. The last thing you want is the innards of a gauge coming apart and spraying you with hot oil, fuel, coolant, etc.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    And if you're going to go with cheap stuff, get electrical. The last thing you want is the innards of a gauge coming apart and spraying you with hot oil, fuel, coolant, etc.
    Ask the guy that had one fail, lose all the oil, and lock up the motor on his Miata at the driver's school this past weekend...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Posts
    70

    Default

    If you get mechanical gauges, just stick with a good brand like Autometer, and you should be fine. I run all mechanical gauges in my car, and I haven't had any problems. Only down side is that I run a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and because it is mech, I have to run it outside the car-on the hood. Which isn't a big deal. I got all of my gauges off of eBay. The oil temp, pressure, and fuel all came off of a Porsche Race car and were made in 93! I got all three for 80 bucks which is a STEAL. The water temp I bought new for about 130 bucks...I think. They are Autometer Sport Comp 2 5/8".

    Hope this helps.

    -Vincent.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    2,942

    Default

    Autometer From Ebay X2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Thanks folks. Autometer it is. I'll get a RSS search feed up.

    Mark - I'd heard that before about the dual EGT. Originally couldn't find it on mazdatrix's site but found the same gauge they are selling at Pegasus (with much better documentation).

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanj View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive gauges? Are mechanical or electrical preferred? Will be going into a 1G RX-7. Looking for a Tach, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Coolant Temp at a minimum. Plan to include dual EGT as well. Thanks.
    Where are you located? I'm about to replace an Autometer Monster Tach w/shift light as well as a three gauge panel with Autometer Ultra light coolant temp, oil pressure, and oil temp mechanical gauges with a Dash 2 on my car. The parts are all in NC, but should be really easy to ship.

    Interested?
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RacerBowie View Post
    Where are you located? I'm about to replace an Autometer Monster Tach w/shift light as well as a three gauge panel with Autometer Ultra light coolant temp, oil pressure, and oil temp mechanical gauges with a Dash 2 on my car. The parts are all in NC, but should be really easy to ship.

    Interested?
    I'm in Dallas, TX. Shipping shouldn't be a problem if you're willing. PM me a price as I'm interested.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanj View Post
    I'm in Dallas, TX. Shipping shouldn't be a problem if you're willing. PM me a price as I'm interested.
    You'll have to turn on your PMs. This site defaults them turned off.

    Or you could email bowie (at) raceconover (dot) com
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Hmm...I just bought a SunPro mechanical gauge cluster, was this not a good idea?
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

    Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
    Hmm...I just bought a SunPro mechanical gauge cluster, was this not a good idea?
    I have a SunPro mechanical water temp gauge that works just fine (never had any problems). I think SunPro is OK, I just don't like their stuff as much as the Autometer stuff.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanj View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive gauges? Are mechanical or electrical preferred? Will be going into a 1G RX-7. Looking for a Tach, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Coolant Temp at a minimum. Plan to include dual EGT as well. Thanks.
    I actually have a used set of oil pressure, oil temp and coolant temp autometer 2 1/16" gauges that worked great, we simply upgraded to a DASH2. They are yours for a very good price if you want them.
    Jeremy Billiel

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I've had good luck buying gauges at a decent price from eGauges.com.
    Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
    Director, SCCA San Francisco Region
    2011 SFR-SCCA ITS Champion
    #12 ITS (1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata)
    #12 STU (2003 Mitsubishi Evo 8)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RacerBowie View Post
    You'll have to turn on your PMs. This site defaults them turned off.

    Or you could email bowie (at) raceconover (dot) com
    Doh. Thought i had gotten everything setup the way I like it when I put in my location not long ago. Guess not. I'll drop you an e-mail.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    I actually have a used set of oil pressure, oil temp and coolant temp autometer 2 1/16" gauges that worked great, we simply upgraded to a DASH2. They are yours for a very good price if you want them.
    RacerBowie made a similar offer first. If we can't come to terms I'll drop you a line.
    Last edited by Tanj; 02-20-2009 at 08:46 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanj View Post
    Looking for a Tach, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Coolant Temp at a minimum. Plan to include dual EGT as well. Thanks.
    Consider a voltmeter gauge and fuel pressure gauge, I have found both these to be beneficial to identify or exclude problems.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Athens GA
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I may be interested in one of those gauge sets, let me know if either are still available.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbuskuhl View Post
    Consider a voltmeter gauge and fuel pressure gauge, I have found both these to be beneficial to identify or exclude problems.
    I plan to have a fuel pressure gauge but was going to put it under the hood as the car is carbed. Hadn't thought about a volt meter.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Black Rock, Ct
    Posts
    9,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanj View Post
    I plan to have a fuel pressure gauge but was going to put it under the hood as the car is carbed. Hadn't thought about a volt meter.
    You really need to see the fuel pressure from the car.It is paramount to understanding issues like, is it the pickup running dry in the corner, or a carb problem that is causing this stumble?? If you have pressure, you know it's not the pick up.

    there are two options: Get a very accurate gauge, or get a super accurate gauge and a cheap gauge. Use the lab quality super accurate one to set up the regulator, then pack it away so vibration doesn't damage it. it goes on a T underhood, and day to day monitoring is done via a normal gauge ont the dash. Paul Yaw used to sell the right one on his website:Yawpower. He's gotten out of the 1st gen business, but you might find a treasure trove of info there, and the type and model gauge he recommends.

    1st gen carbs are very sensitive to proper presssure.

    Or get a good one and adjust with that. I had a good one, then got the lab version, and I was lucky, my gauge is very accurate.
    Jake Gulick


    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •