Thread: Replacing Steering Rack Bushing

Default Replacing Steering Rack Bushing

Car is an 83 GTI

Has anyone ever replaced the bushing that is indicated by the red arrow? (it goes in the main housing and supports the actual shaft, car shakes like crazy in a corner since the bushing is loose) Etka doesn't even list it so I don't know how I would find it. Really don't feel like buying a new rack just becasue of a bushing.

Sandro,

Are you referring to the two 'rubber' bushings (#16 and 17) on either side of the rack? If so they are still available 171 419 883 and 884. If you are referring to the thicker part of the shaft can you move it off to the side enough to put some urethane glue ("Shoe Goop") between it and the metal shaft?

DZ

Ah, good catch, Dave. I was about to look up that part number, too.

I'm with Dave: if that area is worn (usually because the rubber bushing was allowed to go too long before replacement) then you can "build" it back up with something as a repair. The urethane goop is a good idea, maybe even something harder like JB Weld. Worst case, you could get it brazed up.

Dave & Greg,

Its not the bushings that mount the rack to the car. Its the bushing that sits inside the main housing (tube)and the actual main rack rod(that tie rods bolt onto) slides through it. The bushing basically supports the shaft inside of the housing.

Ill get an actual picture of it tomorrow.

rebuilding may not be worth your effort. I got a rebuilt rack for the Scirocco fairly cheap.
    Joe Camilleri
    HP Scirocco
    Check out the VW Club Racers Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=309326556818

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camilleri View Post
    rebuilding may not be worth your effort. I got a rebuilt rack for the Scirocco fairly cheap.
    Unfortunately, as I recall my '83 GTi had a nifty close-ratio rack. Not only would it be illegal to use the 'Roc box, it would be a performance disadvantage...

Ah yes, the wounded rack syndrome. Fixed in my ITB Rabbit with a new rack.

The proper box, 171-419-063, is still available but expensive. The inexpensive ones are Chinese and, I think, not the right ratio. The difference is approx. $700. Rapid Parts (sponsor) shows one from Meyle at $170. Call Dean at 845-352-1138 and ask him if it is the right ratio and a decent part. Let him know it's for a racecar.

DZ

Doh. I just tossed a rack last week from my ITB rabbit. Sorry Sandro...
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com

thanks guys, I had a feeling that was going to be the case. I am really not a fan of rebuilt stuff, especially for the racecar. Worst case I could buy a cheap rebuilt and just swap the bushing.

I am going to try and make a replacement bushing on the lathe, and see if it works(have to take the old one apart first to make sure its do able)

Sandro,

I'm pretty sure I've got a spare Rabbit GTI rack in my pile of spare parts. I pulled it from my old street car before I dumped the shell. I'll take a look over the weekend.

Bill, ok thanks let me know.

Pulled the bushing out and its a little different than I thought, would require a lathe and mill to make.

Bushing had a 5 digit part number and looks like it also fits a Fiat

http://www.globalotomotiv.com/Upload...s/400/7000.jpg

I'll keep you guys posted as I am sure someone else will need this in the future
    Last edited by Sandro; 02-27-2009 at 01:33 AM.