Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: St. Louis Region Regional/National/IT Tour March 28 & 29

Has not started snowing...yet. Not sure how much we will have when we wake up, the latest prediction I saw was 2-4". We have full intentions of running tomorrow. The snow is supposed to be done by 5:00am. It was all rain and cold today, not the way you imagine a day at the race track. Why didn't we have this race last weekend, it was 60's and sunny. Oh well, nothing you can do about the weather. Results from today are on mylaps http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=397134
    Bryon Prokopf
    St. Louis Region Club Race Committee Chairperson
    T&S, F&C

Results from today are up on mylaps. We woke up to 1-2" of snow on the grass and cars, pavement was just wet in most places. Morning sessions were run on wet track, sun came out at lunch and the afternoon was the best the weather was all weekend, it was still cool and windy but dry. Thanks to everybody who came out and braved the weather. Hope you all had a good time despite mother nature.
    Bryon Prokopf
    St. Louis Region Club Race Committee Chairperson
    T&S, F&C

Saturday, damn it was cold and wet! No problem with tire choice for sure. Trey went out for qualifying and stayed out of trouble. Safely done with no off track excursions. We did a hot pit driver change as the event stewards wanted Pete and I to go out in the big bore field to get times before we moved to the small bore group. At this point I wasn't too worried since I kinda like the wet nasty stuff. Pete and I went out with a few T1 Corvettes, a GT2 Panoz, an EP Porsche 944, and an EP Miata. Surprisingly the Panoz was holding me up! I also managed to lap one of the Corvettes as well in the wet! I got around the Panoz and he wised up. He followed me for a few laps to find the rain line and ended up going a tenth or two quicker while drafting me. As usual this was about my only shining moment of the weekend. Pete had all kinds of problem due to no real rain tires but managed to not hit anything during his 1, 2, 3, 4, 5................. well, a bunch of spins.

Trey's Saturday race was a complete and total mess. The rain started for real during the first few laps. Trey did a great job being smooth and improved from a starting position of 7th to 6th overall. Mark was also tire challenged and motored around for just a finish. I really can't describe how miserable it was for this race!

With Pete and I now moved to group 4 we started with the small bore SM/T2/SS field. I was extremely nervous as the track was drying out somewhat. We stayed on wets just in case it started a deluge again. I drove smooth staying out of trouble. With the conditions being better a few of the Miatas got by me before lap 8. Then it started to rain again. Things stayed pretty much the same. I finished 9th overall and learned about drafting and being drafted in the wet at 100 plus! Lots of fun BTW. Pete stayed on track for the most part and finished 11th overall.

Now for some good things. We have brakes! We have some torque and horsepower!

Sunday, damn it was cold and wet and SNOW!!!!!!! WTF tires do we use for that? I still think Blizzaks would have worked!

Trey went out first on wets for his qualifying session. He stayed smooth but the track was improving by leaps and bounds. After he came in we made the decision to switch to full tread drys for my qualifying run. I went out and found out we had made the correct call. The track was still extremely cold and damp with running water in some places but the dry line was developing in others. Pete stayed out of trouble and did not hit anything so all was well there.

Trey's Sunday race may be the turning point in his auto racing career. He started 8th overall in a ten car field. His starting position was dirctly behing Mark in his 325i. I watched and figured Trey would follow Mark at the green flag. Boy was I wrong!!!! Trey made his move at the perfect time. As the flag flew Mark drifted inside. A hole opened up and Trey jumped in. Trey passed two other cars as he crossed start/finish!!!! At the exit of two he was in SECOND and chasing down Chris Albin! Trey drove without fear or stupidity (unlike dad!) and finished 4th overall. He, Mark (325i), Chris (VW Golf), and Nadeem (Spec Miata) were dicing the entire race. The track started to dry out and Mark was finally able to put down some Bimmer power. At lap 13 he moved past Trey and Chris. Then he proceeded to run down the Miata. One lap short of an overall win was Mark. My son did a fantastic job dicing with Chris Albin for five straight laps before Chris got around him for good at lap 18. Trey was fourth overall and had his second class win of the weekend. Good boy!

Bud's Sunday race.
    Nothing to report here.
    Oh, wait!!!

Stupidity and bad driving. I finished and didn't hit anyone.

Considering the weather we had a great weekend. The car gets better and better each time out. I keep getting worse and worse each time out. Trey is close to being ready for a next step up in car speed and prep. Lots of fun in the wet!

Now I must confess a few things and apologize to the Honda community in general.

In my run group were two Civic Si's. They were both well driven if a little slow. During my race on Sunday I was beginning a pass on one of them in the oval after my starting debacle. I drew up to his bumper and pulled inside to pass. As I began my move I saw the VTEC sticker on the back of the car. As the POS-7 moved to pass him I said to no none in particular, "VTEC on!". With those words the POS-7 motored on by for the pass.

I think I understand why Trey does not want a radio setup in the car! I think I would be making a running commentary the entire time especially if I was driving bad.

I had a similar moment during Saturday's race at turn 7 with a line from one of my favorite movies, Young Frankenstein. As most of you know the weather was atrocious. Turn 7 at GIR in the wet is just like ice in any type of moisture. I found myself picturing Frau Blucher leading them up the staircase with the candles in her hand. If you recall she said, "The stairway can be treacherous". I just cracked myself up each lap through there as the car was sliding saying that out loud and in my head!!!!!!

No wonder I'm at the back of the field, I'm just laughing too much!