Thread: Noise in Rear

Default Noise in Rear

I have recently purchased an E36. I haven't been able to get much track time, but the little time I have had out I've picked up a low click/thump noise in the rear. It speeds up and slows with the car. I do not hear or feel a vibration at speed. I only had it to about 5k rpm due to new engine break in. I had someone check the tires for debris and found nothing. They suggested it may be a CV joint. Any standard proceudres to diagnose problem? I believe the noise is coming from the right rear. weird mechanical noises combined with high speed bother me, go figure.

Head on over to bimmerforums and try searching for an answer there. There's a wealth of E36 troubleshooting/DIY information there.

does the noise change when you rotate the tires? does the noise change when cornering? more in one direction than the other? my bet is on the wheel bearing. when were they last changed?

The car was supposedly gone over for the 08 season and never raced for 08. I tried changing the tires and I put the rear up on stands and turned it by hand. Changing the tires didn't change anything and I didn't hear anything when I turn it by hand. (without wheels on) I figured it has to do with weight or being able to turn it fast enough. I don't notice anything when I'm on the track. But that might just be me holding on to my pants.

Check to see if your wheel weights are hitting anything as they rotate.
    Mike Guenther
    ITR #11
    http://www.improvedtouring.com

Thanks. I didn't get any play with it on the ground, but I'm going to check the bearings and the weights on jack stands this weekend.