Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about ITR 325's

As to the question on strengthened subframe mounting points, the unibody is the same as the 325is.

As for the body work, the standard 325 allows for a more effective splitter as the lower valance slants inward as opposed to straight down as with the M Tech. The M Tech "lip" is much shorter (and rounded, and thick and downward slopping) than could be used with the standard 325 to the maximum of the rules. So you could conclude the M Tech is less valuable as a donor and all the fuss made out of it over the years was time wasted. Looks nice though.
    Matthew Olson
    ITR '94 BMW 325is
    RoadRaceTech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Olson-RRT View Post
    As to the question on strengthened subframe mounting points, the unibody is the same as the 325is.

As for the body work, the standard 325 allows for a more effective splitter as the lower valance slants inward as opposed to straight down as with the M Tech. The M Tech "lip" is much shorter (and rounded, and thick and downward slopping) than could be used with the standard 325 to the maximum of the rules. So you could conclude the M Tech is less valuable as a donor and all the fuss made out of it over the years was time wasted. Looks nice though.
    I don't think there was a fuss. The uneducated would complain about the "M3" front bumper cover but nothing else. The one touchy issue is the confusion on the reinforcement and resultant chassis differences, if there are any.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I have noticed a few ITR guys with M3 bumpers...IMO illegal

Quote Originally Posted by matthewAPM View Post
    Why? Didn't that get cleared up for you in this thread?
    Andy Bettencourt

Don't think of it as a M3 bumper think of it as a 325 M Tech bumper.
    Mike Uhlinger

Well, Matt, I have a M Tech bumper cover on my 325. Please let me know what track you will be at so you can protest me. Please bring cash because I don't accept credit cards.:cool:

And my 328 will be sportin a 99 328is sport package bumper which looks like an M3 bumper but has no meshwork just bars in the lower opening. I think you need to (as I needed to) do more research before calling illegal.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by robits325is View Post
    they Also Had Fancy Bmw Motorsport Door Handles.
    ban!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    ban!!!!
    Word has it they add ~10rwhp! Crazy thing is I have been offered a couple hundered bucks for the door handles. Believe they are easy to break when removing and hadn't wanted to deal with it otherwise... one new hoosier! One good thing about using the M Tech as a donor (with interior in good shape) is parting out can recoop a good bit of the purchase price. Think I got $2k for just the front and rear seats and the wheels (which needed lots of TLC and one was weld-repaired).
    Matthew Olson
    ITR '94 BMW 325is
    RoadRaceTech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post
    And my 328 will be sportin a 99 328is sport package bumper which looks like an M3 bumper but has no meshwork just bars in the lower opening. I think you need to (as I needed to) do more research before calling illegal.

R
    Sorry for the mistake. I was thinking that you could only get the M bumper on a 328 and not a 325. Again, sorry for the mistake.
    Matthew Brueck

ITA CRX...2009
    BMW 325is ITR (almost)- FOR SALE

I am just asking so please do not ban me for this website for having a thought.....

Wouldnt the M-Tech from bumper fall under limited production front/rear spoiler, airdam or wing? As I read the rules these are illegal.

I am open to hear how they are not a limited production item as addressed by GCR 9.1.3.8b

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by madrabbit15 View Post
    I am just asking so please do not ban me for this website for having a thought.....

Wouldnt the M-Tech from bumper fall under limited production front/rear spoiler, airdam or wing? As I read the rules these are illegal.

I am open to hear how they are not a limited production item as addressed by GCR 9.1.3.8b

Derek

Ohhh boy!
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post
    Ohhh boy!
    No... please explain, I am curious......

Was this already a lengthy discussion at some point in the past that I can go look at?

I think you may have misunderstood my comment. It is clear defined that limited production goodies are not compliant. I am just curious how these m-tech or sport package items do not fall under this rule.

I myself am building an e46 for ITR and would love to use sport package items but I was afraid they would not be compliant. If there is an agrument why they do not fall into limited production items, I would like to know for myself for my car. ISport package items my not be near as "limited" as say the M-Tech stuff. Again, I am just trying to understand this.

Thank you,

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by madrabbit15 View Post
    Again, I am just trying to understand this.
    +1. Just waking up to the fact that (according to the usual infallible sources on the web ), there were only something like 150 M-Technic cars made? Whoa!

If that's true, and we're not calling it "limited production", what in Hell is?
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

IMHO this piece is not what the rule is refering to. It's a front bumper cover, not a seperate spolier or air dam. The IMSA rear spoiler add-on from another thread on a 1st gen RX-7 is a good example of that rule in play I would say.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    IMHO this piece is not what the rule is refering to. It's a front bumper cover, not a seperate spolier or air dam.
    Okay, just for grins, let's say I agree it's just a bumper cover (which I don't... it's a "spirit of the rules" thing, if nothing else).

But there's another, bigger problem. The M-Technic was apparently NOT intended to be part of the '92-95 325i/is ITCS spec line. In that entry, I see 15" and 16" wheels, but I don't see 17" wheels.

Hmmm???
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    Okay, just for grins, let's say I agree it's just a bumper cover (which I don't... it's a "spirit of the rules" thing, if nothing else).

But there's another, bigger problem. The M-Technic was apparently NOT intended to be part of the '92-95 325i/is ITCS spec line. In that entry, I see 15" and 16" wheels, but I don't see 17" wheels.

Hmmm???
    Dude, what is the big F($%en deal here!!?? ITR are allowed 17" wheels. Were not in ITS. If your worried about the amount of down force these noses will produce, just put a splitter on your E36 nose and you'll have more than we do.

Hmmm???
    I am not sure how it's a big problem. It's a rare model that has a good bumper cover for IT racing. Fact of the matter is you can build a much better front splitter/spoiler under the current rules even with the standard cover.

There is also no issue with wheel rule because 17" wheels are not listed on the spec line in ITS, and as Dan pointed out, 17" wheels are allowed in ITR.
    Andy Bettencourt

Well Dudes, this is a big deal because we're talking about using parts from a car that was, intentionally or otherwise, excluded from ITS and ITR when the 325i/is spec was written to show only 15" and 16" wheels as stock equipment. The fact that ITR allows 17" wheels is irrelevant and immaterial.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

Well Dudes, this is a big deal because we're talking about using parts from a car that was, intentionally or otherwise, excluded from ITS and ITR when the 325i/is spec was written to show only 15" and 16" wheels as stock equipment. The fact that ITR allows 17" wheels is irrelevant and immaterial.
    I disagree. All that was being shown in the spec line is the allowed daimeters. Yes, they happen to be mostly stock but some Porsche's and the RX-7's are not allowed to use stock diameter either. It's not unique.
    Andy Bettencourt