Thread: Teach me about ITR 325's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Teach me about ITR 325's

I was looking at the 92-95 325i/is classed at 2765 in ITR. I am finishing up my Prelude and will be building a second car for the wife I was going to build another Honda but thought I would do some research on other options so I can make a informed decision.

A few questions

1. Are there any common problems things that break etc. for this car?

2. What size tires can fit under it in ITR

3. Why the allowance for a trunk mounted fuel cell is the sock tank in a dangerous location?

4. What to junkyard replacement motors for these run?

5. What do replacement transmission run?

6. Are final drives and LSD easily available, what is the typical cost.

7. How are the brakes on the car? I don't enjoy cars that are under braked?

8. How difficult is this car to work on? What are the ECU options?

9. Oh yeah and how are they at making weight does a 215lb guy stand a chance in this car?

10. Anything else anyone can offer?

<---Sorry for all the questions Honda guy trying to broaden his horizons.
    Last edited by ekim952522000; 02-13-2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: more questions.....
    Mike Uhlinger

Quote Originally Posted by ekim952522000 View Post
    I was looking at the 92-95 325i/is classed at 2765 in ITR. I am finishing up my Prelude and will be building a second car for the wife I was going to build another Honda but thought I would do some research on other options so I can make a informed decision.

<---Sorry for all the questions Honda guy trying to broaden his horizons.
    Mike, it's a good car, easy to build, easy to drive, reliable and low-maintenance. 245s will fit. Brakes are plenty capable and low-maintenance. I don't know the specifics on engine and transmission costs, but they are probably more than Honda stuff ... but you won't need them. Good stock used diffs are a few hundred, fully-built race diffs are a couple thousand. But you won't break one, so it's a one-time cost. ECU: I'm not sure about what you can do to a stock one (mine is different, it's well-programmable) but Motec works as a replacement. As for the weight, I thought this was for your wife :-)

Also, there are already-built cars for good prices out there. Mike Courtney's might even still be for sale ... it's well-built, fast, and local.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

1. Are there any common problems things that break etc. for this car?
    Yes, but the great thing is they are common and can be planned/corrected for and there are not a lot of them

2. What size tires can fit under it in ITR
    Wheel width is 8.5" so a 225 would fit nicely and a 245 would as well and work with just a bit of fender rolling; stay close to the stock et38 offset

3. Why the allowance for a trunk mounted fuel cell is the sock tank in a dangerous location?
    Very safe location. We kept the stock tank in our BMWCCA Mod class car as it is also mounted low and close to center.

4. What to junkyard replacement motors for these run?
    A few hundred to a couple thousand, many to choose from though. You should be looking for a >94 as this is the VANOS motor which gives you variable intake valve timing

5. What do replacement transmission run?
    About as much as a Valentine's day dinner with a nice bottle of wine

Good searching will net you a stock clutch pack type <$500. Many "is" models come with them

7. How are the brakes on the car? I don't enjoy cars that are under braked?
    BMWs get flak for poor braking systems as they have stuck with the single piston slider type for years while recently most manufacturers are using multiple piston, fixed calipers in their performance models. Fresh fluid, well bled, rebuild kit (rubber bits and cheap) and a good choice of pads will give you a more than adequate braking system

8. How difficult is this car to work on? What are the ECU options?
    Very easy and very reliable. ECU is called a DME. Believe you can use anything that fits in the stock DME box which gives you many options. As anything, depends what you want to spend and spend some time with the rules on this one.

9. Oh yeah and how are they at making weight does a 215lb guy stand a chance in this car?
    Making weight is not a problem but to fully answer your question a)Not sure how good the 215lb guy in question drives and b)I thought this was for your wife!!

10. Anything else anyone can offer?
    Lots of hard development work previous done on this chasis for you to pull from. That counts for a lot.
    Matthew Olson
    ITR '94 BMW 325is
    RoadRaceTech.com

Hey guys just because the car is going to be for my wife doesn't mean I won't want to drive it sometimes. Ya never know I might end up liking it better than the prelude and trade her.

Thanks for all the info it sounds like a solid platform.

So it sounds like I would want a 94 or 95 coupe?
    Mike Uhlinger

Coupe or sedan will be equal performance. Some prefer the sedan as the B pillar ends up being about even with your shoulder so the theory is greater side impact protection. Best aspect of a good donor is no rust. Where the rear sub-frame attaches should be reinforced (many rip out) and having rust there will make this a miserable job.
    Matthew Olson
    ITR '94 BMW 325is
    RoadRaceTech.com

Except, unfortunately, that's illegal.

Where the rear sub-frame attaches should be reinforced (many rip out) and having rust there will make this a miserable job.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Coupe or sedan will be equal performance. Some prefer the sedan as the B pillar ends up being about even with your shoulder so the theory is greater side impact protection. Best aspect of a good donor is no rust. Where the rear sub-frame attaches should be repaired (many rip out) and having rust there will make this a miserable job.

How's that.
    Last edited by robits325is; 02-13-2009 at 03:10 PM.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by ekim952522000 View Post
    I know of two quaifes (4.10 and 3.46 ratios) that could be had for $750 each plus shipping.

Grafton
    Last edited by GKR_17; 02-13-2009 at 11:24 PM.