Thread: Hey, hey, ho, ho. SFI has got to go..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    You're all paranoid about SFI. They have your best interests at heart.

...or maybe...

DON'T START WHINING NOW. YOU'VE SEEN THIS COMING FROM MILES OFF.

K
    Who said I'm starting to whine? I've opposed them along. What I'm starting to get is angry.

Meh, it is what it is.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

How much of the cage has to go into the new car? I'm "rebodying" the 240 and I was just going to get a new cage built since I wanted a lot of cage work done anyways. Can you just cut out the part with the log book number and transfer that?

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

My car had an old Autopower Bolt in. It was what I had, was free, and got me on track. I got the log book in December of the last year you could use ERW tubing.

Once I had the funds, and a baby on the way, I improved every safety system, which included installing a custom, welded cage. Took it to tech, told them what we did, asked them how they wanted to handle it, and they elected to just make a note in the existing log book and stamp the new cage with the old number.

There was none of the original cage retained.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Wait, what's with the fire systems? I don't have time right now to follow the news. Is my ESS AFFF Fire System still OK?

So the way I understand it, on the ITA I am building now I can either run just the plain fire extinguisher, or the high dollar system you guys are talking about, but nothing in between?

I was already puzzled by the fuel cell rule, which allows either the stock tank or a top of the line cell, but none of the perfectly fine budget alternatives. What is the reasoning here? I am asking this in all seriousness, I am new to IT rules and am curious as to the why the all or nothing thought process.

Sigh...I dunno about this new firesystem fracas, but, last I checked, the fuel call rules were more open. I have a Jaz Rotomolded cel in my car.

There wasa rather lengthy thread on here about cels, Greg Amy played a role in it, maybe a search under his user name with Fuel" as a keyword would net hours of head scratching reading pleasure!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by AjG View Post
    Wait, what's with the fire systems? I don't have time right now to follow the news. Is my ESS AFFF Fire System still OK?
    As of now, cars "registered" before 1January2009 do not need to meet the stupid SFI requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
    So the way I understand it, on the ITA I am building now I can either run just the plain fire extinguisher, or the high dollar system you guys are talking about, but nothing in between?
    Bingo. Seems that to meet the system, it must be shipped loaded. That incurs a charge to load it. It also incurs a HAZMAT shipping fee. If you never fire your bottle, then two years after certification, you have the privilege of shipping it back to the manufacturer for "inspection." That would require discharging the bottle, incurring a recharge fee in addition to the inspection fee.

Everybody who thinks that companies getting full bottles shipped to them for recertification will simply ship them back w/o discharge but with the recharge fee - raise your hand.

I am asking this in all seriousness, I am new to IT rules and am curious as to the why the all or nothing thought process.
    Guess? Asshat BoD members buying into the agenda of some safety-fascist on the CRB who recommend it. Stupidity on our part for not fighting this tooth and nail.