Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New ITR SCCA 300zx

so the bars of the cage don't have to meet up, they just have to all attach to the same plated area? like in your I am assuming NX200 example. The "cage" all welds to the point in front of the rear shock tower, and the rear brace is welded to a plate on the side of the rear shock tower. What makes this legal is as long as those plates touch or are built as one piece then it can be considered as part of the cage and not a seperate piece?

An alternate example. What if yoiu were to have a cage and plate welded to teh cage, then have anothe rplate closer to the top of the strut tower that does not touch the plate for the cage. This would be considered illegal correct?

another example/question.. for the first gen MR2 that I am building right now. IT is almost impossilbe to weld in a bar similair to this design in quesiton becuase it woudl go right through my engien, and would also make working on it more difficult. Since it is an uncessary bar, would you be allowed to add a bar in similiar fashion to your NX200, and then make it removable?
    Last edited by quadzjr; 04-06-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    so the bars of the cage don't have to meet up, they just have to all attach to the same plated area?
    Correct. The plate is considered the mounting "point" (IT cars are restricted to eight total). Further the rules specifically state:
    Any number of tubes may attach to the plate or each other.
    ...and...
    Any number of additional tube elements is permitted within the boundaries of the minimum cage structure.
    ...the rear brace is welded to a plate on the side of the rear shock tower. What makes this legal is as long as those plates touch or are built as one piece then it can be considered as part of the cage and not a seperate piece?
    Yes. There's no restriction that the mounting point be one contiguous (bent) plate versus welded-together plates. In fact, the rules state,
    Plates may be on multiple planes but shall shall not be greater than fifteen inches on any side.
    ...explicitly allowing it.

An alternate example. What if yoiu were to have a cage and plate welded to teh cage, then have anothe rplate closer to the top of the strut tower that does not touch the plate for the cage. This would be considered illegal correct?
    No. I suggest that any plate that is not welded in some way to the true cage mounting plate (and following min/max side requirements) is likely flaunting the rules.

another example/question.. for the first gen MR2 that I am building right now. IT is almost impossilbe to weld in a bar similair to this design in quesiton becuase it woudl go right through my engien, and would also make working on it more difficult. Since it is an uncessary bar, would you be allowed to add a bar in similiar fashion to your NX200, and then make it removable?
    Sure, why not? I'd suggest following the "removable roll cage bracing" requirements (though those requirements are unclear as to if they refer only to required elements and/or all elements). When we were working on the cage design for the SW20, we were going to do basically that, and attach the bar to the rear strut using "PIP" (single action ball lock) pins (though, again, I'm unclear if the PIP pin part is legal. The rules clearly illustrate a minimum bolt requirement).

GA

I drove two nice 300ZX examples while looking at what to buy for ITR - these cars will be awesome. Can't wait to race against one!

I like to cage - big and safe - some nice work.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

lookin good
    i cant wait to see the finished product

Jesse Draper
    #08 ITA Honda CRX Si

Thanks. I am looking forward to getting it out too at some point. Seems like years since I have been able to get out for a full season of racing.....oh wait, it has been years. Hopefully I can start to speed up the build process now. I have a lot of what I need to put it together, just have to put in the hours. Hopefully winter will finally end here in Atlanta by the end of the week and I will get a chance to take a few pics.

Quick question. I have a Sparco seat with an FIA sticker, but I think it is from 1999. Is this seat exempt from the seat back brace rule? Or does the seat need to be within a certain build date?
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    I have a Sparco seat with an FIA sticker, but I think it is from 1999. Is this seat exempt from the seat back brace rule? Or does the seat need to be within a certain build date?
    SCCA is not enforcing the 5-year FIA cert expiration on seats. That one came straight from the top... NASA, however, does (and is TOTALLY inflexible on the idea). - GA

On edit Make sure your seat is built to the 1999 standards, otherwise you'll need a brace.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 04-07-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks Greg, I'll recheck, but I thought it had a 1999 certification.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56