Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sentra SE-R

Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post

I'm hoping to get suspension and brakes figured out today, especially since it's my last day off for a while. We'll just have to see if I can continue to accomplish the seemingly impossible task of getting this car ready for novice school on April 18th....
    get the required safety stuff done first, worry about the go-fast stuff later. trust me, the car won't be "done" in time for the 18th, it can only be "done enough." a race car is always a work in progress, so don't get too caught up in the whole "i have to have this, that, and the other done before the school."
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Good point, Travis. Are you guys going to be at MAM at the end of this month? My dad assures me that the cage won't be a problem for time, so that's why I may seem like I'm not worried about it. As far as the rest of the safety stuff, (belts, fire suit, helmet, window net, etc.) it's either accounted for or already owned, so I have that goin for me.

I was surprised to find out that even though my dad is a drag racer who used to race dirt modifieds, he still knows about a half dozen people around here who do SCCA stuff, including one guy who runs a GT1 Camaro. Now THAT was a cool car to go look at! We've gotten a lot of good advice(starting with you guys) and it looks like we're going to have everything in order for the most part.

I found 4 used tires at the swap meet that I paid $20 for ($5/tire), but they look to be mostly used up. Do you guys have any advice/contacts on getting more tires?

Thanks!
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

I doubt I'll be able to make it with the car, but I might be there just for fun.

I have a bunch of old tires in my basement, but it's all mismatched stuff. I think I have 3 good Toyo RA-1s, 2 Kumho victoracers that are pretty much dead, 2 Hoosier 05s, and maybe a couple other randoms. you're welcome to whatever you want if you come down to KC to get it, or I can bring it to the school if I go (hoping I will).
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Travis- does that mean free? I can definitely take a sunday and come down to KC the week after next if that works for you.

[email protected] - let me know what you think
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

oh. I guess the tire size might be important. Are they 205s? 225s? 15in?
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

oh yeah, 205/15/15. if you want them, come get them. i'd be happy to donate some old tires to help a new guy get started.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

well consider them sold, sir. I'll let you know for sure when I can be down to get them in the next few days. I really appreciate the generosity!
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

I am looking to get into IT in the future, but it is very unlikely I could be ready for this season. I don't have a car yet, or enough money to alleviate that issue at the mo. I would very much like to attend the meet up at MAM if you do have one though. It would be nice to meet everyone and get a good idea of how to proceed so maybe I can be ready for next year.

Brett -

I'll be out of town the weekend of the 28th, but otherwise should be available whenever you want to come down.

Xkaupx -
    you should come to the school at MAM, i'd be happy to talk racing with you and how you can get started. it might cost less than you think email me any questions you have or if you're going to come down to MAM. [email protected]
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Thanks tnord, I would like to go to that class. I know there are some really good deals right now on cars and equipment, but I am starting from scratch. I need a trailer, car, helmet, etc. Also I have to get my tow vehicle ready. There are quite a few things I need to get in order and I just recently got into this so I haven't had a chance to save up for it.

if you've got an evo, i bet you could have a truck/trailer/car for whatever you sold that thing for. there are some good cars out there for sale for less than those fancy street car suspensions.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Heh, you're right there, they can get quite expensive. I don't plan on buying any suspension upgrades or anything major for it though. It is my daily driver so mostly stock (some bolt-ons). If I knew about IT before I got it I probably would have waited. Now that I have it though I don't think I could give it up.

Hi Brettt, I talked to my man dave in CO. and they still have cheeper AMB mafiasponders....I dont know what cheeper is yet? get some sleep!
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    UPDATE: I haven't worked since Wednesday. In a perfect world, there would now be the better part of a roll cage in the sentra. Unfortunately, the people who were supposed to have the DOM tubing seemingly forgot to call us back, meaning that we don't have anything to build it with. On the plus side, I have spent the last three days replacing all of the bushings on the car. I hear that some people do this with not much more than hammer and I find that quite impressive. I had a pretty rough time at my dad's shop with a torch and a press and impact wrenches. Have any of you guys swapped your bushings out with hammers? Some of those things were ridiculous.

Anyway... We're still waiting on the tube, but I have lots of other stuff to work on like tearing down the rear calipers and removing the sticky e-brake cables, not to mention removing the cat. and bending the exhaust out in front of the wheel. There's a swap meet tomorrow morning I'm going to in hopes of finding a cheap seat or some other unexpected amazing deal. Wish me luck!
    Have you considered going with a Kirk products cage? They come mostly made, bars notched out, and ready to weld in. http://www.kirkracing.com/
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Default Sentra Cage Pics

Trying to get a 91 Sentra on track before the summer is over. The cage is nearly complete with some additional bars to be added on the drivers side as marked with the black tape. It started with a roll bar only and now the cage is being completed. The suspension is done. I ended up using Koni 8610's with GC coilovers and camber plates. The addition of rear spherical ball upper strut mounts made a huge difference in handling.

Attachment 667

Attachment 668

Attachment 671

Attachment 672

Attachment 673
    Last edited by Thekid29; 03-25-2009 at 07:06 AM.

super nice shoots!!!!!! nice car too!!!

please post some exterior shots too!!!

Default 91 Ser

The cage is getting painted now. Some exterior shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best looking Sentra I ever saw.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

That's a show car not a race car.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion