Thread: seats

Default seats

Would this style seat be acceptable for SCCA school or test days?
    http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/1118147/10002/-1
    I plan on getting a better quality aluminum one eventually, but was curious if this would be legal to start with?

Thanks.

Probably.

The rules regarding "race seats" are very lax in SCCA. You can actually even make your own seat out of sheet metal and left over parts from Aunt Mabel's sofa cushions...

Read the appropriate sections of the GCR in regards to seats (p85 in the '09 GCR) and you'll see there's not too much to the requirement (do note, however, the requirement for a seatback brace on a non-FIA seat.) I' not really enthused about the idea of using a plastic seat, but neither am I entused abouta LOT of seats in current use today.

At initial glance, it appears the Jeg's seats are "legal" when used with a seat back brace.

There are some very good race seats for less than the price of a set of tires. Don't skimp on the seat.

Yep - cruise some of the racing sites - you can get a decent used seat for under $100. I got a Kirkey aluminum seat with the head and shoulder bolt on restraints for $75. Just make sure there isn't a bunch of holes already drilled into the seat or you'll need to weld some new reinforcement in place.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I think those Polyethylene seats are fine. I used them for ages in my ice racer. Plenty safe.

However, I think you will be disappointed in their lateral support, so you may want to reconsider.

It's good for your speedboat. IMO. Race car..... no.

Remember, the side G forces in drag racing are usually nil. Those seats have little to hold your upper body/shoulders in place. The cheapest Kirkey seat would be better for road racing.
    Joe Camilleri
    HP Scirocco
    Check out the VW Club Racers Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=309326556818

I feel VERY strongly that the seat is probably the most important piece of safety equipment in our cars. We worry about harnesses but all they do is hold us in the, uh, SEAT.

K

Just bought a good used aluminum Kirkey. Thanks for all the good advice.