Thread: 325e set up basics

Default 325e set up basics

Hello.

I am in the beginning stages of building a 325e, the plans this summer are to get my license and some track/test days in with maybe some actually racing in the fall. Probably in ITA. But right now I am mainly looking at getting the safety issues squared and going for dependability everywhere else, no major upgrades for awhile.

I have helped build some other race cars, and have a friend with a machine shop and much more experience helping, but neither of us have built a BMW before, and I was hoping for some pointers to help avoid some headaches. Nothing big time, just things like what do you do about thermostats? Will I need a restrictor plate if I toss it? How do LSD dependability compare to open Difs? What kind of oiling problems do you have? Will I need an accumulator for certain or will a scraper suffice? What kind of range should I shoot for when I build camber plates?

That should be plenty to get a discussion started, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it in search.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
    Hello.

I am in the beginning stages of building a 325e, the plans this summer are to get my license and some track/test days in with maybe some actually racing in the fall. Probably in ITA. But right now I am mainly looking at getting the safety issues squared and going for dependability everywhere else, no major upgrades for awhile.

I have helped build some other race cars, and have a friend with a machine shop and much more experience helping, but neither of us have built a BMW before, and I was hoping for some pointers to help avoid some headaches. Nothing big time, just things like what do you do about thermostats? Will I need a restrictor plate if I toss it? How do LSD dependability compare to open Difs? What kind of oiling problems do you have? Will I need an accumulator for certain or will a scraper suffice? What kind of range should I shoot for when I build camber plates?

That should be plenty to get a discussion started, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it in search.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Gibson,

Welcome.

First,

If your plans are to build a car and get into this venture go for safety first.
    Second, a BMW is a pretty good starting point.
    Third, spend your money on suspension, tires and brakes. Leave the engine alone. A diff is a GREAT purchase for a BMW, depending on the ratio it will do more for you than an engine build with a stock ratio will. A stock LSD is almost bullett proof. You can get into those other things later. Is it an e30 or e36? Both are ITS not ITA. Don't lower it if it is an e30 the roll centers go below the race surface and handling goes away quick. Close to stock ride height is about right.

Hope that quick post helps.

Oh yeah...ask me how I know those things........

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Actually, the 325e is in ITA.

You need to find Chuck Baader, who built and races one in the SEDiv. Great guy, and his car is way fast. He posts here, just can't remember his handle.....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jff, Thanks I guss I missd th E!

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Actually, the 325e is in ITA.

You need to find Chuck Baader, who built and races one in the SEDiv. Great guy, and his car is way fast. He posts here, just can't remember his handle.....
    x2

Chuck's the guy I'd suggest too. Not sure how much he's on here but you may want to cross post your questions over on www.roadraceautox.com too. I think his username is CWBaader over there.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Thanks all. I am a 50 year old newb, so I don't figure on needing all that much car to begin with, as I say I am just planning on safety and dependability until I feel I am as fast as the car. The main thing I am looking for are little areas that need attention on these cars during to construction, just trying to save myself some extra headaches if possible.

The car is an 84 e30, by the way, and thanks again.

Chcuk's older than you! LOL..sorry Chuck, had to get a dig in, specially since you routinely beat me at Roebling......

Get a hold of Chuck, he has the car pretty well figured out and can help you a lot. I happen to think the 325e is one of the very best choices in ITA right now. NOTHING in A makes anywhere near the torque your car will make.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Gibson, yes, Jeff is right...I'll be 65 this year

Answers: Thermostat...drill a 3/16" hole in the stock thermostat where the arrow is and forget about it. With the cooling system design, you must run the thermostat.

Diff...bulletproof. Use Amsoil diff fluid, 80W120 (I think) without additive. 3.73 gear.

Use a crank scraper.

I made a 8 qt oil pan with extreme baffling to combat oiling problems (specifically in 3 at RR). Have not tried an accusump but I did not care for the restriction of the one way valve. Just my opinion.

You should be able to adjust camber to -4 degrees front and rear.

I have plans to be at RA March 13-15 if you want to see the car.

Hope this helps, Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Thanks all for your help.

I will definitely try to come by Road Atlanta that weekend, I don't need much of an excuse at all to hang out in the pits of a race track.

Thanks again.

Default E-30 handling........

After talking with Mr. Badder, search Bimmerworld, then track Matt Reppert down....his ITS car handles really well from what I've seen.

david
    30 year old ITS car