Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Selection Event

DSGs? or some "slapstick". The starts would have been more interesting last year if they were normal manuals...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    DSGs? or some "slapstick". The starts would have been more interesting last year if they were normal manuals...
    DSG.

To be clear, DSG actually *is* a manual transmission. No bands, to torque converter, no internal hydraulics like you think of a slushbox.

It's got twin output shafts, twin clutches, but it's all electronically controlled. At a stop the tranny's in neutral; when you lift off the brake it smoothly engages the clutch for the first gear shaft. When it (or you, in manual mode) want to shift to second, the gears are already engaged and all it does it swap to the clutch on that shaft (gears alternate). Shifts in something like .010s. Downshifts are smooth and happen in 1/2s or so.

So, like Jake said, it's not a "normal manual", but it's decisively not an auto...

And it's one of the cheapest cars to get such an advanced gearbox, if my casual knowledge serves. Only 3 or 4 years ago a similar performing "real manual" with auto controls was only found in Ferraris.

And the DSG goes it even one better.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Evening, folks.

Kakashi Racing and Kessler Engineering would like to announce tonight that we are officially pledging $1000 (one thousand dollars) to AJ Nealey's efforts in the 2009 VW TDI Cup. We will send to AJ a check for $1000 -- no strings attached, no requirements for decals, no expectations other than he is required - under penalty of law - to go out there and kick some racing ass.

We encourage any and all enthusiasts, fans, and businesses to step up to the plate and do the same. It all makes a differences.

Feel free to pass this info along to any and all that are interested.

Sincerely,

Kakashi Racing/Kessler Engineering

Greg Amy
    Jeremy Billiel
    Joe DiMinno
    Matt Kessler
    Jeff Lawton

http://www.kakashiracing.com
    http://www.kesslerengineering.com

(AJ, contact me directly - check your emails - and we'll get that out to you ASAP.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    DSG.

To be clear, DSG actually *is* a manual transmission. No bands, to torque converter, no internal hydraulics like you think of a slushbox.
    I drove a GTI with the DSG a few years ago. Thought that I wanted one with the DSG. Didn't buy a GTI or a car with a shiftable automatic (bought a used 5sp BMW). I thought the DSG would be a great toy to have on a car, but I know myself, and knew that I would get tired of the DSG (since you can put it in drive and forget it) and would want a manual.

Does any car (Ferrari?) come with a pure electonic gearbox, one that only has a manual mode (no auto mode)?
    Todd Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    http://www.roadraceautox.com/

Traverse at your own risk...posted: you've been warned...just sayin'.
    Do most of the users here post on this forum and the one mentioned above (roadraceautox) as well? If so why the move? Do most IT related topics get discussed here as well as on that site? I re-gained internet in Dec. of this year after not having in for at least 2 years so I am trying to get back in the swing of things and a bit more involved to stay "in Tune" with what is happening.

Stephen

IT.com is a more "buttoned down" site. The topics are specific, and non related material usually goes over like a lead ballon. Most of the posters here are IT guys.

RR-AX is a more open clubracing/ autox/ HPDE /grassroots competition site, born from a bunch of guys who got pissed off at the Honda Tech site, and went on their own. So, a good percentage of Honda guys.

off topic material flies just fine, and the discussions are broader regarding racing stuff. IT is talked about all the time, but often in relation to Honda challenge, koni Cup, NASA, etc.

the players there all know one another...to a large degree..and can "poke some fun" at one another.....but they don't tolerate newbies dumb questions well. Thick skin needed if you post something stupid. And there are some girls who post, but off color jokes towards them are pretty harshly viewed, unless you go way back.

I've met lots in my travels, and had a blast with them in person.., a community of sorts.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Nice Post AJ. Shame that the Pro SCCA VW TDI cup can't manage a race west of the Mississippi, except for Miller.

Seattle, Portland, Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Fontana, ButtonWillow, Phoenix, Reno, Las Vegas, what a scam. BTW, did you notice that there were no SCCA "workers" there for your 4 days of school @ Sears Point?
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Thank you all for your support! This whole experience has been unreal!

Hopefully I'll see some of you guys at a race or two!

Here is the full write up with photos on my website:

http://www.ajnealeyracing.com/AJNR/N...s_a_Go%21.html

Thanks again!!

AJ