Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Selection Event

Default Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Selection Event

Hello! Day one complete! And no one got cut!

Very small field today of about 28-30 drivers that were all new and hadn't run last season. Extremely tough field compared to last season with a lot of great talent.

Day started off bright and early getting up at 4:30 am to make sure I got to the track on time. We parked on the top of the hill and all of us crammed into a shuttle bus down to the garages. We were greeted by a film crew and lots of VW staff who got us all registered and signed up. Awesome breakfast available. After an introductory meeting, we were split up into groups. They split us up into 5 groups of about 5 or 6. I was in the Red group with some really cool and down to earth people. We got along really well and had a blast!

Started with the karting session first. Ran the Junior Rotax kart. Touch and go two stroke engine with the centrifugal clutch. Very quick with indoor kart tires on 'em. Extremely slick! Ran three 10 minute sessions and the instructors were definitely looking for some consistency and improvement throughout the sessions but they weren't giving us any feedback or suggestions what-so-ever. They wanted to see how we adapted and progressed. Felt solid on track and had a blast. We used the karting track on the top of the hill. Ran the long course which was very technical and challenging. In the end, we had no idea how any of us were graded and didn't have any laptimes. Lots of secrecy.

Next, our group went and took a media and marketing course which tested us on a little bit about ourselves and our background along with how we performed behind a camera while answering a series of questions. I had a lot of fun with it and seemed really relaxed. Got a lot of positive feedback from the interviewer and felt really good about myself.

Next was the written test. It mainly covered some pretty basic handling questions which were actually quite amusing multiple choice options. For example:

If you are in a slide beyond 90 degrees, what should you do?
    A. take your hands off the steering wheel and close your eyes
    B. apply the brakes and keep the steering wheel straight
    C. put it into first gear
    D. shift the car into reverse

They also tested us on the flagging rules along with some VW factoids. Did you know you can receive a $1300 tax credit if you purchase a new VW Jetta TDI?

Next was lunch which was incredible! Talk about an awesome menu...everything was professionally catered and was extremely nutritious and healthy. Salads, sandwiches, and wraps...oh my!

We then took a class with the VW Motorsport director, Clark Campbell. This was a really nice presentation about everything there is to know about Volkswagen. Everything from who they employ, where they produce cars, what their goals are, mission statement, the works. Lots of interesting facts.

Last was the autocross course. Again, no instruction, just a couple warmup laps with the instructors and then we were off on our own. This wasn't your typical autocross course. One of the tightest I've ever run with cones every 10 feet. No room for much creativity but looking ahead was definitely key to get through it smoothly. Again, no suggestions or feedback and no laptimes but felt pretty good about myself.

Next was about the most anxious and nervous 45 minutes I've experienced. They told us they were making cuts at the end of the day and Clark was about to announce all those that were making it. He whips out a piece of paper...dramatic pause..."You're all coming back tomorrow". Shew...what a relief. Tomorrow is definitely going to be tough. We will now also be joined by about 10-12 people who are returning from last season. No one is guaranteed to get in. They will have to earn their way in just like everyone else.

I'm going to take it easy tonight and rest up for another demanding day tomorrow. No schedule announced and again, we have no idea what is in store for us!

Until tomorrow, take care!

AJ

Sounds like alot of fun! Good luck today and thanks for the updates!

Very cool - good luck!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

AJ,
    Cool, good luck. The racing was very close and quite entertaining last year. You mentioned only 28-30 drivers that were all new, are any of last years drivers competing for a spot?
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech

Awesome report bud!

Bill, I think he mentioned 10 -12 people will be joining them tomorrow who ran last year.

So, that makes 40 or so contestants, and what 30 open slots?

AJ, you're going to like Infenion. A bit like MO, some blind crests with the track out not visible. (Assuming the put you on the main course) I don't remember it being *quite* as technical as MO, but, you need to be in the right plaes at certain points if you expect a fast lap.

Rise to the top my friend!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

AJ, Drive like you did at ARRC and you will be just fine. Your BS and jeff gordonlike good looks should add to the package!!!!
    If all esle fails and you feel threatened of getting cut, bring out the three wheeled Honda and show them your skills!

Seriously...... Relax and enjoy it will make you faster.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

AJ, Good Luck! Makes me wish I was 40 years younger! (but knowing what I know today).
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Curious.. I heard that it was a non-refundable 25K deposit to try out.. is this true? Good luck!
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    Curious.. I heard that it was a non-refundable 25K deposit to try out.. is this true?
    As I understand it from casual conversations - which, of course, can be totally wrong - you have to send in $25k with your initial app. If you don't get chosen by application, the money is refunded. If you get past the initial app and you make the cut to go forward the money is kept and you have to immediately produce another $20k balance due to begin the racing season.

If, however, you get chosen by initial app but you get cut in the process AJ's in now, you get your $25k refunded and you're only out your travel expenses.

By the way, he posted this AM on the Sandbox that he's made the next cut of 35; as best we can tell - we're still trying to get confirmation - unless he's in the bottom 5 of the guys today he will be in for the season (30 competitors, 5 alternates) he's in for the season!

Fingers crossed!

GA

P.S. AJ will need financial support going forward. Keep this in mind....

This is really cool.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I keep hearing about this sandbox? what is it?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

http://www.roadraceautox.com/

Traverse at your own risk...posted: you've been warned...just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    AJ, you're going to like Infenion. A bit like MO, some blind crests with the track out not visible. (Assuming the put you on the main course) I don't remember it being *quite* as technical as MO, but, you need to be in the right plaes at certain points if you expect a fast lap.
    I haven't driven MO, but Sears Point is a VERY technical track, and since Bruton Smith has tried to make a large oval out of it, there are way fewer reference points than there used to be. Especially down through the esses.

If you want, I will post some links to my in-videos, that show the track in the early 90's, vs the track as it today.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

It's a great forum... personally, I spend waaaay more time over there than here or Hooptie-Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

True... gotta give fair warning.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Oh, back on topic... I'm sure AJ will need all the funding help possible to make this work. Here's a link to his existing Sponsorship Proposal

Christian, who kicked in a donation back in December...
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Here is a post that AJ made on another web site.

Congratulations AJ, great job!

Dudes!!!!!

Another day is in the books! And of course the day started with the usual, off the chains, breakfast! Had a couple cups of sweet coffee and a bagel and I was good to go!

After breakfast, the top 35 were briefed on what today had in store for us. The day would start off with a track walk. We all jammed ourselves into a few minivans and made stops periodically on key parts of the track and learned a lot as Jan Heylen described the proper line around Infineon Raceway. Couldn't wait to get out on track!

We were split up into 4 groups of 8-9 people each. I was in the third group which included all returning drivers except myself and one other person. I'd be running with good company...or so I would hope.

The first time out on track was a lead-follow session behind Jan Heylen. We would complete a lap, then, when instructed, the leader would drop to the back of the field and this would continue until everyone had at least one lap to follow Jan. This track was fun! It was a shortened version of the NASCAR track that we ran. Had a lot of technical sections that reminded me of VIR...especially the esses.

The second session out on track started with a lead-follow behind Jan for about 3-4 laps. Then Jan dove into the pits and we were let loose on track with open passing. I was able to run with a returning driver for most of the session. It was Caleb Kenny who happens to live only an hour and a half from the track. Needless to say, he knew his way around. I was glad to be able to follow him as I picked up a lot of speed and stayed with him the entire session. Afterwards, he came up and congratulated me on my driving. There are MyChron data acquisition systems installed on these cars and I totally forgot to look view my lap times during the session. Caleb ran a 1:26.8 and said I was most likely in the same ballpark. I felt really good as Mark Pombo and a couple other fast guys were able to get into the 1:26.5's. It was safe to say that I was about the fastest new driver during the day and was excited to learn from the veteran crowd.

Then...LUNCH!! Amazing lemon chicken and cooked vegetables and lemon glazed sweet potatoes. The food did not fail yet again!

Then we waited...waited at least an hour until the decisions were finally made as to who would be the 30 starting Jetta TDI Cup drivers. Clark Campbell again came on the mic and started announcing the names...I anxiously waited..."AJ Nealey"...YES!!! This was it!! Damn was I freaking proud! Went up and shook the hands of all the officials and instructors who all mentioned that they were looking forward to working with me this season. As soon as the hands were shook, we all headed to the briefing room adjacent to the garages to inform us what would occur next.

The next track session would start out with a practice standing start. We did one out lap and lined up on the front straight. Put the gear shift lever in D and slap it over to the right. Put your left foot on the brake and jam your right foot to the floor. Let off the brake and the launch control would engage. Worked pretty well! These things get up and go! Tons of torque. After the standing start, we would complete the session as an open practice session. I followed another fast driver in Andy Lee. He was definitely pretty quick, but unfortunately I went a little slower that session. Best I could manage was a 1:27.4. Track and tires seemed to be getting very greasy but overall was picking up some speed in some other parts of the track and thoroughly enjoyed myself out there.

The final session was going to be a mock race that would last five laps after a staggered standing start. This is where some drama came into play. The starting line-up was determined by the previous session's best lap times. I started fourth out of nine behind Mark Pombo, Andy Lee, and Derek Jones. We lined up just as if it were a real race with SCCA Pro officials out on track. There was an official at the rear of the field who would wave a green flag as soon as the last car was lined up. Then, another official would hold the "5 seconds" board then dash off the front straight. Then the starting lights would illuminate. Then 2-6 seconds later, they would go out and we were off! A couple jumped the start out front and Derek and I were about side by side going up through turn 1 and turn 2 with Derek prevailing, but I didn't care, no one was going to win anything. I notice in my mirrors that there is a white car weaving back and forth quite aggressively through the field. This car was along side of me going up through turn 3 and as we come through 3a as were still side by side, the car turns down on me at the apex. I couldn't believe it! The said car went sailing off to the outside of 3a into the tire wall. As soon as contact was made, I knew a tire went down. I continued on and was I exited the end of the esses, the tire shredded off. I made it through into the pits and the crew changed the tire for me in no time and I was back out on track. No suspension damage at all and the car drove fine but was only able to complete one more lap as they through the checkered. I came in and parked the car. Got out to asses the damage and there was nothing! Not a single scratch! Amazing. I went investigating to find out who drove the other car. It was Timmy Megenbier. I confronted him about the incident in front of everyone else. Documentary camera crew was in attendance and caught the whole thing on camera. Who was adamant that they thought he was already past me. I told him differently and made one final comment and walked out of the conversation. Marc Miller called me down and he said Ryan Arciero saw the whole incident at turn 3 and said I had nothing to worry about. Timmy was way out of line to do what he did. After the fact and when the emotions settled down I confronted Timmy and we were both cool about it. I was just lucky that there was no damage with my car. That was the last thing I would have wanted.

After that, we were given a huge packet from VW and the SCCA filled with forms that needed to be filled out to compete in the series. We then were also issued our VW branded guitars! These things were sweet! We received so much paraphernalia the past few days, I don't know how I'm getting it all home!

Tomorrow will be filled with some butt kicking. 6 hours of boot camp training is in store for us along with nutritional education and our hero card photos. Definitely looking forward to it.

So it's official, I'm one of the 30 starting drivers for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup!! I never imagined that I would get to a point like this in my career. The support I've received has been incredible. I now have some serious homework to do to secure some financial backing for this season. I, again, would like to thank each and every one of you who have helped me throughout my career. This is what it's all about!

Here is the finalized schedule for 2009:

April 24-26
    Round 1 & 2
    VIRginia International Raceway (Alton, VA)
    Grand-Am

June 19-21
    Round 3
    Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Lexington, OH)
    Grand-Am

July 24-26
    Round 4
    Autobahn Country Club (Chicago, IL)
    Atlantics

Aug 14-16
    Round 5
    Road America (Elkhart Lake, WI)
    ALMS

Aug 28-30
    Round 6
    Mosport International Raceway (Mosport, Ontario, Canada)
    ALMS

Sep 11-13
    Round 7 & 8
    New Jersey Motorsports Park (Millville, NJ)
    ARCA

Sep 25-27
    Round 9
    Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA)
    ALMS

And I know we'll be racing at Miller Motorsports Park this year but don't remember with which series.
    #07 ITA 1988 Honda CRX Si
    #49 PTB Acura Integra GSR

AJ Nealey Racing - Donations Being Accepted! Thanks for all your support!
    Hondamans Located in Pasadena, MD. 410-544-0566

Circuit Motorsports

Sponsorship Proposal - 2009 Jetta TDI Cup

Thank You!
    patred, spnkzss, Melissa, Xian, Gregg, Imprezivblue, 94accordsedan, B-F, bowlcut, RexRacer19, gotta_race, Dave OH32, tom91ita, o-man, MK3ITB, TomFree

Ok, boys, he's one of us, and he's in.

But, he's still gotta come up with the dough. Review that proposal, pass it on to your favorite Big Corporation buddies, and let's all start collecting some extra change to send his way.

Congrats, AJ!

GA

Awesome, very cool, congrats AJ!!! Looking forward to seeing you on the TV this year!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

it sort of reminds of 'quicksand' since it seems less dangerous than it really is.

plus you will sort of get sucked into it....
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by ajn
    Put the gear shift lever in D and slap it over to the right. Put your left foot on the brake and jam your right foot to the floor. Let off the brake and the launch control would engage. Worked pretty well! These things get up and go! Tons of torque.
    I did not realize that the TDI race cars were Autos, where last years cars the same?
    Todd Cohen