Thread: Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Selection Event

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Selection Event

Hello! Day one complete! And no one got cut!

Very small field today of about 28-30 drivers that were all new and hadn't run last season. Extremely tough field compared to last season with a lot of great talent.

Day started off bright and early getting up at 4:30 am to make sure I got to the track on time. We parked on the top of the hill and all of us crammed into a shuttle bus down to the garages. We were greeted by a film crew and lots of VW staff who got us all registered and signed up. Awesome breakfast available. After an introductory meeting, we were split up into groups. They split us up into 5 groups of about 5 or 6. I was in the Red group with some really cool and down to earth people. We got along really well and had a blast!

Started with the karting session first. Ran the Junior Rotax kart. Touch and go two stroke engine with the centrifugal clutch. Very quick with indoor kart tires on 'em. Extremely slick! Ran three 10 minute sessions and the instructors were definitely looking for some consistency and improvement throughout the sessions but they weren't giving us any feedback or suggestions what-so-ever. They wanted to see how we adapted and progressed. Felt solid on track and had a blast. We used the karting track on the top of the hill. Ran the long course which was very technical and challenging. In the end, we had no idea how any of us were graded and didn't have any laptimes. Lots of secrecy.

Next, our group went and took a media and marketing course which tested us on a little bit about ourselves and our background along with how we performed behind a camera while answering a series of questions. I had a lot of fun with it and seemed really relaxed. Got a lot of positive feedback from the interviewer and felt really good about myself.

Next was the written test. It mainly covered some pretty basic handling questions which were actually quite amusing multiple choice options. For example:

If you are in a slide beyond 90 degrees, what should you do?
    A. take your hands off the steering wheel and close your eyes
    B. apply the brakes and keep the steering wheel straight
    C. put it into first gear
    D. shift the car into reverse

They also tested us on the flagging rules along with some VW factoids. Did you know you can receive a $1300 tax credit if you purchase a new VW Jetta TDI?

Next was lunch which was incredible! Talk about an awesome menu...everything was professionally catered and was extremely nutritious and healthy. Salads, sandwiches, and wraps...oh my!

We then took a class with the VW Motorsport director, Clark Campbell. This was a really nice presentation about everything there is to know about Volkswagen. Everything from who they employ, where they produce cars, what their goals are, mission statement, the works. Lots of interesting facts.

Last was the autocross course. Again, no instruction, just a couple warmup laps with the instructors and then we were off on our own. This wasn't your typical autocross course. One of the tightest I've ever run with cones every 10 feet. No room for much creativity but looking ahead was definitely key to get through it smoothly. Again, no suggestions or feedback and no laptimes but felt pretty good about myself.

Next was about the most anxious and nervous 45 minutes I've experienced. They told us they were making cuts at the end of the day and Clark was about to announce all those that were making it. He whips out a piece of paper...dramatic pause..."You're all coming back tomorrow". Shew...what a relief. Tomorrow is definitely going to be tough. We will now also be joined by about 10-12 people who are returning from last season. No one is guaranteed to get in. They will have to earn their way in just like everyone else.

I'm going to take it easy tonight and rest up for another demanding day tomorrow. No schedule announced and again, we have no idea what is in store for us!

Until tomorrow, take care!

AJ

Sounds like alot of fun! Good luck today and thanks for the updates!

Very cool - good luck!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

AJ,
    Cool, good luck. The racing was very close and quite entertaining last year. You mentioned only 28-30 drivers that were all new, are any of last years drivers competing for a spot?
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech

Awesome report bud!

Bill, I think he mentioned 10 -12 people will be joining them tomorrow who ran last year.

So, that makes 40 or so contestants, and what 30 open slots?

AJ, you're going to like Infenion. A bit like MO, some blind crests with the track out not visible. (Assuming the put you on the main course) I don't remember it being *quite* as technical as MO, but, you need to be in the right plaes at certain points if you expect a fast lap.

Rise to the top my friend!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

AJ, Drive like you did at ARRC and you will be just fine. Your BS and jeff gordonlike good looks should add to the package!!!!
    If all esle fails and you feel threatened of getting cut, bring out the three wheeled Honda and show them your skills!

Seriously...... Relax and enjoy it will make you faster.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    AJ, you're going to like Infenion. A bit like MO, some blind crests with the track out not visible. (Assuming the put you on the main course) I don't remember it being *quite* as technical as MO, but, you need to be in the right plaes at certain points if you expect a fast lap.
    I haven't driven MO, but Sears Point is a VERY technical track, and since Bruton Smith has tried to make a large oval out of it, there are way fewer reference points than there used to be. Especially down through the esses.

If you want, I will post some links to my in-videos, that show the track in the early 90's, vs the track as it today.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com