Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: drivers working races

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    I am posting this for Leigh McBride

Andy Bettencourt says:
    How about we change the direction and really try and come up some solutions. Lets lay out YOUR specific needs and see if we can help you solve them.

Telling people that they can't be too busy isn't accurate nor is it productive. People give their reasons, let's address them and come up with solutions instead of shouting them down.

What Andy says! I've been reading this thread with interest. I am one of the Co-Chiefs of Flagging and Communications for NER. I presented some information at the NER annual meeting last weekend on our flagger numbers (recruitment and retention). The numbers and trends are pretty dismal, but they are what they are, and we need to find productive solutions. This is not a problem specific to NER but rather exists through SCCA. No region seems to have been able to come up with a complete "fix". But I'd like to share my take on the situation with you. After all, you (drivers) are the reason we're around!

We realize that many factors influence whether an individual will choose to come flagging on any given day or weekend. People may want to spend time with their families, have responsibilities at home or work, have other interests, or not be able to afford to make the trip. These are all perfectly valid reasons. Most of these variables are out of the Flag Chief's hands. The one thing we can control is whether they have a good enough time flagging so that if they have the opportunity to flag, they will want to flag. I personally do not suggest or support that drivers augment our flagging pool on weekends they are racing. Most drivers don't want to be flaggers (even on their non-racing weekends) and that is fine, I have no problem with that. We all have our own interests. But­-and this is a big but­-I know there is a pool of drivers out there, however small, who want to and can (and some do) flag on some of their non-racing weekends, as they are able. We have about 5 drivers who put on their flagging hats when they aren't racing and they are valued members of our community.

Recruiting new flaggers is a difficult task. Our best recruitment tool continues to be the experienced flagger who brings a friend, family member, neighbor or co-worker along. What I am proposing is that drivers join us in recruiting new flaggers as they are able. I'm not talking about crew or spouses coming out to work a session or two (that's not fair to the drivers and doesn't really help the flaggers out much). I'm talking about having drivers bring, the way so many of us flaggers have, a friend, neighbor or co-worker to the track specifically to flag (or bring themselves on a non-racing weekend). A couple of drivers have already done this for us, but we need more. If only 2% of the 700 drivers in NER brought one new person to the track just to flag, we would consider that a huge success. That would give us 14 new flaggers in one season, which is a lot. Last year we had 19 new flaggers all season, 14 more would almost double that. It would then be our responsibility, as flaggers, to do what we can to make them want to come back again and again.

Leigh

Leigh McBride
    Co-Chief, Flagging & Communications
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Well said Leigh.

I don't think getting drivers to work on their race weekends is answer. Look what kind of car I drive. I spend the whole friggen weekend working on the damn thing!! :eek: We don't ALL drive Miatas.......
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    I think I can make that happen.

Don't tease me Dick!!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Ten bucks says he and DiMinno "get together" anyway...
    And he wouldn't even be driving the pace in our race group?
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Take it from someone who knows, they are not on Craigs list!

Now there's an idea! Why wouldn’t that be a good place? Maybe it's time to post another Ad then? Craig’s list could be a viable way to draw some new interest.

I could be off with this but wonder if it wouldn't be helpful to replace the word volunteer with something else. When I hear volunteer, I think I'm doing the organization some type of favor. These positions offer people the opportunity to become a part of something really cool.

Leigh, nicely said.

For the life of me I do not understand why we don’t use our Speed World Challenge tool better when they are at the track. The past two years I had to deliver something to the truck while at Lime Rock and it took forever to locate it. My wife and I walked by it a few times not even noticing it, staff had no clue where it was, and when we did find it very little if anything was there to explain the club or various opportunities – et hm, potential volunteers. It just seems like such a waste of a great opportunity. And yeah, I’d happily volunteer for something like that.

There are numerous ideas people have but often when mentioned, they receive significant resistance of even being considered. I think some of that stems from the whole old guard aspect. Often times when ideas are mentioned it gets met with “don’t you think we have already tried that or a quick no! That won’t work.” Then there’s people who try to lay a guilt trip on others for not doing as much as they think is enough. I know I personally experienced that, got frustrated and decided to try to help the club in a different way.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

:cool:I'm betting that Jeff can drive the pace car faster than Joe!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    :cool:I'm betting that Jeff can drive the pace car faster than Joe!
    And I'll bet you you're wrong...

IT'S ON!!!

See we accomplished something with this thread. We already have a pace car volunteer.
    Jeremy Billiel

It should also be noted that this year Flatout Motorsports sponsored the NER Worker of the Year and the prize was an arrive and drive for a PDX in one of their Miatas. That was a fantastic prize and FOM should be given credit for stepping up to the plate and giving back to the NER worker community.

Jeremy Billiel

I am a flagger for NER, and do it for the passion of the sport. I also have hopes of one day trading my whites for a driving suit. As for now I spend my time flagging, crewing, working 2 jobs and being a caregiver and I plan on making most of the events this year. The point of my post is one of my jobs is at OnTrack Karting and for the past 2 years I have e-mailed board members with the possibility of using our track or when we have events like the 6 hour enduro on March 1 as a way to recruit more members I never get a response or if I do it was to be patient that they are busy and will get back to me. Well as I stated I am very busy also and I found the time to come up with an idea that might get some more members but was disregarded. It's a shame cause as mentioned with worker burnout and the state of the economy without some new blood in the corps it might be a tight year.
    control is just an illusion

Since I expect to drive fewer events this year, I hope to work some of them - for the first time. I look forward to it.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

When i think of drivers who do the most obvious "work", I think of my friend Grant McStay. At teh NARRC Runoffs this year, he decided not to race due to the slimy weather, and flagged instead.

The thought follows, why can't we all be more like Grant?

Then it hit me: Eileen. Grants wife is a real fan of the sport. She likes being at the track. She supports grants racing and flagging, and other than a few cats, they have no kids.

I'd bet that fewer that 5% of us have that setup. For most of us, there is a real huge cost to racing that is far beyond financial. I'd bet most racers have strict limitations on time away. They have birthday parties for kids, soccer games for kids, gymnastics, swimming practices, and homework for kids to attend to.

A few decades ago, it was a different story, and the balance of power in the home wasn't so "Balanced". Some of us have supportive families, families who think it's cool. Others don't. Most, I bet, fall on the "limited" side of the equation in that dept.

The point regarding the World Challenge trailer at the pro events is SO true. I've often thought that that trailer sitting empty all day is such a waste. Here's this GREAT chance to talk to the pre qualified interested public, get them involved, offer options and excitement, yet, we seemingly can't be bothered.

With all the money we spend on the Pro racing division and the WC program, why couldn't we spend a couple thou more to get a couple Driving sim games, seats, wheels, etc, and set up the track (Lime Rock for the Lime Rock rounds, etc) for people to drive? Make the car "models" the WC Realtime or Bimmerworld cars, and get people involved! Talk to them about how they can actually get on a real track, whether as flaggers or techs or drivers.

That empty "hospitality" trailer's a HUGE waste of resources and opportunity in my eyes.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    When i think of drivers who do the most obvious "work", I think of my friend Grant McStay. At teh NARRC Runoffs this year, he decided not to race due to the slimy weather, and flagged instead.

The thought follows, why can't we all be more like Grant?

Then it hit me: Eileen. Grants wife is a real fan of the sport. She likes being at the track. She supports grants racing and flagging, and other than a few cats, they have no kids.

I'd bet that fewer that 5% of us have that setup. For most of us, there is a real huge cost to racing that is far beyond financial. I'd bet most racers have strict limitations on time away. They have birthday parties for kids, soccer games for kids, gymnastics, swimming practices, and homework for kids to attend to.

A few decades ago, it was a different story, and the balance of power in the home wasn't so "Balanced". Some of us have supportive families, families who think it's cool. Others don't. Most, I bet, fall on the "limited" side of the equation in that dept.

The point regarding the World Challenge trailer at the pro events is SO true. I've often thought that that trailer sitting empty all day is such a waste. Here's this GREAT chance to talk to the pre qualified interested public, get them involved, offer options and excitement, yet, we seemingly can't be bothered.

With all the money we spend on the Pro racing division and the WC program, why couldn't we spend a couple thou more to get a couple Driving sim games, seats, wheels, etc, and set up the track (Lime Rock for the Lime Rock rounds, etc) for people to drive? Make the car "models" the WC Realtime or Bimmerworld cars, and get people involved! Talk to them about how they can actually get on a real track, whether as flaggers or techs or drivers.

That empty "hospitality" trailer's a HUGE waste of resources and opportunity in my eyes.
    All great points Jake. Here is your answer.

Because Pro is a profit making entity and the clubs are not suppose to make profit for tax or club reasons. If I were the chief for a day and could run this "club" as a business (i.e profit) there are so many ways that it would be "better".
    Jeremy Billiel

So you're saying that regions couldn't have a paddock spot or piece of the World Challenge area? The club itself can't do anything to draw new members there? They are not allowed to talk or promote SCCA and future drivers? Or they can't even have literature about the club? Nothing? Cause that's what's happening at the track.

I'll call the national office / World Challenge folks to see what might be possible.
    Last edited by gran racing; 01-30-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    All great points Jake. Here is your answer.

Because Pro is a profit making entity and the clubs are not suppose to make profit for tax or club reasons. If I were the chief for a day and could run this "club" as a business (i.e profit) there are so many ways that it would be "better".
    Incorrect. Tax lawyers will point out the errors in the details, but essentially -

Profit = Income less expenses (for-profit corporations)
    Surplus = Income less expenses (not-for- and non-profit corporations)

If a NFP or NP corporation generates surplus from an activity not part of its mission statement, then the IRS may declare that profit and subject to tax. (E.g. A church owns an apartment building and rents it at below-market rates as part of its mission to help the poor = surplus. A church owns an apartment building and just rents it = profit and subject to tax. A bunch of churches in DC got in trouble over this because of buildings that were left to them as bequests).

Profits may be distributed to the owners in the form of cash payments.
    Surplus can only be used to further the goals of the club/charity.

Pro-racing pays tax because it is organized as a distinct corporation, but club pays no tax on income transferred to club (and wouldn't anyway because of the DRD for wholly-owned subsidiaries, but if we owned only 60%, we still wouldn't pay tax on the transferred income.). If the club took over the functions of Pro internally, the profit would be called surplus and not subject to tax. SCCA's mission says something about "promoting a love of sports cars and performance automobiles", i.e. auto-erotica. I would say organizing pro racing events falls under that mission.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    So you're saying that regions couldn't have a paddock spot or piece of the World Challenge area? The club itself can't do anything to draw new members there? They are not allowed to talk or promote SCCA and future drivers? Or they can't even have literature about the club? Nothing? Cause that's what's happening at the track.

I'll call the national office / World Challenge folks to see what might be possible.
    One region is typically contracted by the promoter to provide worker support for pro events. Payment can be in any form - cash/ reduced track rental/ guaranteed dates/ volunteer beverages/ a booth/ etc.

When DC staffed the DCGP, we specified cash, a booth, food, beverages and shirts.

What WC does in its area is subject to the contract between Pro and the promoter.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    For the life of me I do not understand why we don’t use our Speed World Challenge tool better when they are at the track.
    Good idea Dave, and I will use this as a jumping off point to mention that Brian Meglioa, who is on the NER BOD is heading up a new publicity marketing group integrating Pit Talk, the regions website and other recruiting methods. Given Brian’s technical savvy I do not think being a part of this new group will require many if any face to face meetings. If any of you in New England this may a way you can make the club better contact Brian. His contact info is at NER.org.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

That would be cool. I'll have to remember to contact Brian about it. (He and I are doing a "how to start racing" class at a vocational school in March. Should be fun.)
    Dave Gran

Many times I have walked past the SCCA booth at LRP during the pro series events to find no one there. This we particularly discouraging to me as I was trying to find out how to get started after repeated non-returned calls and emails to the people I found on the NYR website. Especially the day I took my wife to see what it was about and there was no one to speak to. In general, I find that SCCA does not do a great job at new member recruitment. I think a booth with a couple of cars, some flags, a TS computer, maybe even a quick tour would go a long way.

I think the racers and volunteers actually recruited me. One of the grid workers at LRP one day said to me ‘When are you going to join me on this side of the fence?’; Jake G getting in my M and showing me the ropes a bit on the track and around the paddock; and overhearing the following conversation Person 1 “Look at how slow that guy is (laugh).” Person 2 “Yeah but, he is out there.” All of that helped push me over the edge. Maybe by design, not sure. Funny how that all happened on the same day.

FOM recruited a buddy of mine. I brought him to LRP. FOM’s crew talked to him about SM and racing in general. He is now building a Mustang for AS.

Jeff L, Dick P, Joe D, Greg A, Andy B, Kelly (SM prep guy) and Matt K all recruited my crew chief. He showed up to the school to help out. Saw how ‘cool’ those guys were to him all weekend. He committed to me as crew chief for 09. He is currently building a CRX to solo this summer and club race next.

Linda L and her main squeeze Bart recruited my wife. She sat with me in T&S during the NARRC Runoffs this year when I decided to bail and not race. Since then she has mentioned she wants to do that again and possibly work in communications. She (we) has acquired amateur radio license to prep. We are trying to clear our schedule to do the Flagging school in March. We view this as a family event, time at the track does not cost me any family time equity (well, at least not that much anyway).
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    We are trying to clear our schedule to do the Flagging school in March. We view this as a family event, time at the track does not cost me any family time equity (well, at least not that much anyway).
    You're very lucky in that regard...many balance the expense of racing up against the expense of divorce.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    ...many balance the expense of racing up against the expense of [strike]divorce[/strike] quid pro quo things that we really, really, really don't want to do.
    Just sayin'.