Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drivers working races

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    When i think of drivers who do the most obvious "work", I think of my friend Grant McStay. At teh NARRC Runoffs this year, he decided not to race due to the slimy weather, and flagged instead.

The thought follows, why can't we all be more like Grant?

Then it hit me: Eileen. Grants wife is a real fan of the sport. She likes being at the track. She supports grants racing and flagging, and other than a few cats, they have no kids.

I'd bet that fewer that 5% of us have that setup. For most of us, there is a real huge cost to racing that is far beyond financial. I'd bet most racers have strict limitations on time away. They have birthday parties for kids, soccer games for kids, gymnastics, swimming practices, and homework for kids to attend to.

A few decades ago, it was a different story, and the balance of power in the home wasn't so "Balanced". Some of us have supportive families, families who think it's cool. Others don't. Most, I bet, fall on the "limited" side of the equation in that dept.

The point regarding the World Challenge trailer at the pro events is SO true. I've often thought that that trailer sitting empty all day is such a waste. Here's this GREAT chance to talk to the pre qualified interested public, get them involved, offer options and excitement, yet, we seemingly can't be bothered.

With all the money we spend on the Pro racing division and the WC program, why couldn't we spend a couple thou more to get a couple Driving sim games, seats, wheels, etc, and set up the track (Lime Rock for the Lime Rock rounds, etc) for people to drive? Make the car "models" the WC Realtime or Bimmerworld cars, and get people involved! Talk to them about how they can actually get on a real track, whether as flaggers or techs or drivers.

That empty "hospitality" trailer's a HUGE waste of resources and opportunity in my eyes.
    All great points Jake. Here is your answer.

Because Pro is a profit making entity and the clubs are not suppose to make profit for tax or club reasons. If I were the chief for a day and could run this "club" as a business (i.e profit) there are so many ways that it would be "better".
    Jeremy Billiel

So you're saying that regions couldn't have a paddock spot or piece of the World Challenge area? The club itself can't do anything to draw new members there? They are not allowed to talk or promote SCCA and future drivers? Or they can't even have literature about the club? Nothing? Cause that's what's happening at the track.

I'll call the national office / World Challenge folks to see what might be possible.
    Last edited by gran racing; 01-30-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    So you're saying that regions couldn't have a paddock spot or piece of the World Challenge area? The club itself can't do anything to draw new members there? They are not allowed to talk or promote SCCA and future drivers? Or they can't even have literature about the club? Nothing? Cause that's what's happening at the track.

I'll call the national office / World Challenge folks to see what might be possible.
    One region is typically contracted by the promoter to provide worker support for pro events. Payment can be in any form - cash/ reduced track rental/ guaranteed dates/ volunteer beverages/ a booth/ etc.

When DC staffed the DCGP, we specified cash, a booth, food, beverages and shirts.

What WC does in its area is subject to the contract between Pro and the promoter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    All great points Jake. Here is your answer.

Because Pro is a profit making entity and the clubs are not suppose to make profit for tax or club reasons. If I were the chief for a day and could run this "club" as a business (i.e profit) there are so many ways that it would be "better".
    Incorrect. Tax lawyers will point out the errors in the details, but essentially -

Profit = Income less expenses (for-profit corporations)
    Surplus = Income less expenses (not-for- and non-profit corporations)

If a NFP or NP corporation generates surplus from an activity not part of its mission statement, then the IRS may declare that profit and subject to tax. (E.g. A church owns an apartment building and rents it at below-market rates as part of its mission to help the poor = surplus. A church owns an apartment building and just rents it = profit and subject to tax. A bunch of churches in DC got in trouble over this because of buildings that were left to them as bequests).

Profits may be distributed to the owners in the form of cash payments.
    Surplus can only be used to further the goals of the club/charity.

Pro-racing pays tax because it is organized as a distinct corporation, but club pays no tax on income transferred to club (and wouldn't anyway because of the DRD for wholly-owned subsidiaries, but if we owned only 60%, we still wouldn't pay tax on the transferred income.). If the club took over the functions of Pro internally, the profit would be called surplus and not subject to tax. SCCA's mission says something about "promoting a love of sports cars and performance automobiles", i.e. auto-erotica. I would say organizing pro racing events falls under that mission.