Thread: drivers working races

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So, in general, racers would rather pay an additional $225. per event for workers?
    Please let me know beacuse I'll stop worrying about where I'm going to find voluteers and start hiring workers.
    Hmmmm, what's the going rate for a flagger, stewart, tech inspector, pace car driver or someone to sit in Timing and scoring all weekend?
    I'm not sure $225. would cover it!

Jerry Rigoli NER CRB chairman
    Jerry
    NER South

Dick,

I'll volunteer to drive the pace car!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Ten bucks says he and DiMinno "get together" anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Ten bucks says he and DiMinno "get together" anyway...
    And he wouldn't even be driving the pace in our race group?
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Take it from someone who knows, they are not on Craigs list!

Now there's an idea! Why wouldn’t that be a good place? Maybe it's time to post another Ad then? Craig’s list could be a viable way to draw some new interest.

I could be off with this but wonder if it wouldn't be helpful to replace the word volunteer with something else. When I hear volunteer, I think I'm doing the organization some type of favor. These positions offer people the opportunity to become a part of something really cool.

Leigh, nicely said.

For the life of me I do not understand why we don’t use our Speed World Challenge tool better when they are at the track. The past two years I had to deliver something to the truck while at Lime Rock and it took forever to locate it. My wife and I walked by it a few times not even noticing it, staff had no clue where it was, and when we did find it very little if anything was there to explain the club or various opportunities – et hm, potential volunteers. It just seems like such a waste of a great opportunity. And yeah, I’d happily volunteer for something like that.

There are numerous ideas people have but often when mentioned, they receive significant resistance of even being considered. I think some of that stems from the whole old guard aspect. Often times when ideas are mentioned it gets met with “don’t you think we have already tried that or a quick no! That won’t work.” Then there’s people who try to lay a guilt trip on others for not doing as much as they think is enough. I know I personally experienced that, got frustrated and decided to try to help the club in a different way.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

:cool:I'm betting that Jeff can drive the pace car faster than Joe!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    :cool:I'm betting that Jeff can drive the pace car faster than Joe!
    And I'll bet you you're wrong...

IT'S ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    For the life of me I do not understand why we don’t use our Speed World Challenge tool better when they are at the track.
    Good idea Dave, and I will use this as a jumping off point to mention that Brian Meglioa, who is on the NER BOD is heading up a new publicity marketing group integrating Pit Talk, the regions website and other recruiting methods. Given Brian’s technical savvy I do not think being a part of this new group will require many if any face to face meetings. If any of you in New England this may a way you can make the club better contact Brian. His contact info is at NER.org.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

That would be cool. I'll have to remember to contact Brian about it. (He and I are doing a "how to start racing" class at a vocational school in March. Should be fun.)
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Dick,

I think I can make that happen.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I did pretty much every specialty at least once before I started driving, between '79 and '86 and, while I enjoyed most of them more than not being at the race track (old-school T&S sucked), I enjoy driving more than any of them. I don't even spectate at races much, unless it's a really cool event, it's really close, and it's not a big time/$$ production (e.g., GA at VIR when I lived in Greensboro and could go up just for the day).

I had a HUGE advantage when I started driving, since I knew how the systems work, knew the people, etc. But I'll tell you - I saw an even GREATER lack of understanding when I started my "second" racing career and did my school to get re-licensed in 2004. I talked to two other students who'd never even been at the track on a race weekend. They knew what HPDE-type events looked like, but had no idea about the SCCA, specialties, processes, etc.

(The caliber of DRIVING was much better this time around however, with the huge growth in track day opportunities. When I did my first school, most of the students knew the Club but had NEVER driving on-track.)

THAT SAID, I think it would be a great idea for Novice license programs to require that new drivers spend a couple of days out on the corners. It gives one an entirely different perspective on the relationship between flagger and driver, to be the piece of meat out there among the high-speed metal boxes.

K

In response to the comment about T-shirts counting as payment for F&C, my wife will happily clean out all of my dresser drawers and send you the plethora of white T-shirts that I have. It's come to the point that I don't even take them anymore.
    If it's an especially cool shirt or a cool event (like working the Petit), I'll take one, but otherwise they stay at the track.
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post

THAT SAID, I think it would be a great idea for Novice license programs to require that new drivers spend a couple of days out on the corners. It gives one an entirely different perspective on the relationship between flagger and driver, to be the piece of meat out there among the high-speed metal boxes.

K
    I believe that to be a great idea!
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

I'm with Jake on this one. I take care of at least two cars on a race weekend and sometimes more in addition to driving. I give back in other ways too. Race chairmain for a BIG vintage event ( 600 plus cars),ITAC ( until this year),Chief driving school instructor,region comp committee,etc,etc. I just don't have the time on a race weekend that I'm driving in to flag or help out in other ways. I also agree that has part of the Novice experience you should be required to flag or do something that gets you an understanding of what really goes on. The flip side to that is how do you enforce that with the pro schools?

So how much extra are drivers willing to pay to guarantee an event to drive at? The volunteer situation is getting to be a HUGE problem. Especially now given the economy...

We, as drivers, need to help work on a solution. I can tell you that in the North East the drivers are cheap asses when it comes to contributing to the workers fund.

$25
    $50
    $75
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    I think I can make that happen.

Don't tease me Dick!!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I'll preface this by saying I sincerely appreciate what volunteers do for our club and am very appreciative.

So, in general, racers would rather pay an additional $225. per event for workers?

You might not like the answers but for a significant number of people they'd turn to other clubs or racing businesses. Jerry, since you put a NER spin on it I can pretty much guarantee NASA North East would see an influx of new racers.

What we as drivers are forgetting, that many times flaggers do not have the means, ability or desire to literally race, but they do enjoy being part of the "club" and enjoy the social side of the event.

Excellent point. I don't care what organization you're talking about - American Cancer Society, American Red Cross, SCCA... - the reality is people volunteer because it benefits them in some way. That benefit could be because they enjoy the position, it makes them feel good to help others, they've been impacted by the cause in some manner, and so on. That's not a bad thing but is a reality.

Jerry - What if we put a mandatory $50 increase in the entry fee for the workers fund, that ultimately can help to pay for at least gas for the flaggers?

There are price points where people will turn to other options but in general people would rather pay a few extra bucks (probably not $50). I know when I was doing HPDEs there were two clubs I tried. One was a bit cheaper but it was necessary to work the corners for a session or two. The other one was a bit more expensive but drivers never had to work the corners. I did the less expensive option once and became a regular of the other organization.

Dave Gran

In 2008 I worked four weekends in Tech, Drove my SRT4 as pace car for one weekend, and worked a corner for a half day until the corner workers were able to make it to the track after the ice melted on the roads. It can be done.

Speaking of other clubs. NASA pays their workers. Their entry fees are the same or lower than "ours".

Raising entry fees causes the number of entries to go down, causing the hosting region to make less money, causing the entry fee to be raised again, causing entries to go down, causing...
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.