Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: drivers working races

Default drivers working races

Is there a reason the vast majority of drivers do not also work some races. Is not enjoyable or all we all just selfish.
    Our region just had its winter annual meeting and the Flagging chief and the continued drop in workers mentions the active drivers that flag on some of their non-racing weekends. She mentions about 4 names, we have around 700 different drivers who race with us during a average year.
    My perspective is different than most here as I was a worker long before I started driving.
    Now I do not like working on the weekend that I race, I may work tech in the morning if I have a late run group or fill in driving the pace car for a couple of races if they are short but I do attend races as a worker when I am not driving. Why are there so few of us that do?
    Most workers view this as a club where we work together to put on event that we like but it seems as most drivers view SCCA as a vender that provides a service for a fee.
    Thoughts
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I don't want to be oversimplistic but its just not part of a requirement so it hasn't made it's way into the culture of the specialty.

For Flatout, we plan what our workers have to do to support the 8-14 cars we bring to the track. If working a corner for a racegroup or two (or insert area in need of help) was part of that requirment, then we would make it work as part of our planning.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I love working the corners - especially on a National w/e or a vintage race. These days - at least in the SEDiv - most host regions are paying enough to cover a hotel room for the weekend and providing meals. The gas is really the only expense.

I strongly encourage it! After all, it's the 2nd best seat in the house!
    George Bugg
    Huntsville, AL
    ITA CRXsi

If it was required, it would happen, we're basically lazy! Anyway, aren't we spending a lot of money to provide entertainment for those flaggers! And then we let them go first at lunch time!:cool:
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

As part of my novice permit I worked in T&S. I was only required to work 1 session and two events. At the ProIT weekends at LRP I worked all day on Friday (I didn’t race till Saturday). At the second event, I was going to race in the Narrc-offs. The weather made the choice for me and I spent two days in T&S. I will make it a habit to work the weekends I am available and not racing. Also, my wife, my crew chief and I will work at least one session the weekends I am racing.

In the radio controlled racing I do, everyone is required to corner work at least in as many sessions as you are on the track. If you don’t, you lose a lap off your best qualifier.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    Is there a reason the vast majority of drivers do not also work some races. Is not enjoyable or all we all just selfish.
    Our region just had its winter annual meeting and the Flagging chief and the continued drop in workers mentions the active drivers that flag on some of their non-racing weekends. She mentions about 4 names, we have around 700 different drivers who race with us during a average year.
    My perspective is different than most here as I was a worker long before I started driving.
    Now I do not like working on the weekend that I race, I may work tech in the morning if I have a late run group or fill in driving the pace car for a couple of races if they are short but I do attend races as a worker when I am not driving. Why are there so few of us that do?
    Most workers view this as a club where we work together to put on event that we like but it seems as most drivers view SCCA as a vender that provides a service for a fee.
    Thoughts
    Dick..What's the statute of limitation on corner worker training?
    I cut my teeth on corner work during the late 60's/early 70's at LRP,Thompson and Loudon during the old trans AM, VEtte/Cobra battle days. I would be glad to help out when not racing at LRP and NHMS.

Bruce

As I said I am not a big fan of working sessions on the weekends I am racing and the F&C people do not see it as very helpful anyway unless these volunteers are already fully trained.
    I am just wondering why more people do not enjoy doing this on off weekends as Chris does.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Dick..What's the statute of limitation on corner worker training?
    I cut my teeth on corner work during the late 60's/early 70's at LRP,Thompson and Loudon during the old trans AM, VEtte/Cobra battle days. I would be glad to help out when not racing at LRP and NHMS.

Bruce
    dig out your whites, you are welcome.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I think we're a little better here in the DC Region; I can think of at least half a dozen ITA drivers alone who work a specialty from time to time (many more if you count PDXs). But even that is still a small percentage of the total number of drivers, and I can't think of a good explanation for why more don't work. I am also one of those who doesn't like to work and race in the same weekend - I have a hard enough time getting to grid on time as it is - but there are still driver's schools, nationals, enduros, etc., that we could help out with.

I do know this; with the incentive program our region has for the PDX worker program - work 3 events and get a free entry - I have already committed to working every PDX/TT this year. Maybe the regions could put in place a similar program for race workers. The only problem with that is, in regions where there are already sufficient volunteer workers it would result in an unjustified loss of revenue.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

I am just wondering why more people do not enjoy doing this on off weekends as Chris does.
    Oh, THAT is the question? Easy. No time. My racing season is already limited by time (and money). Balancing my free time (that isn't so free with kids, coaching sports, ITAC, etc) is the busiest part of my life!

If I could be at the track every weekend, I would. Limited funds would prevent me from road-racing every weekend but I would be autoxing for sure.

Now that I talk it through...I am a racer, a driver. Almost 20 years worth now. I have limited interest in being at a 'driving event' and not driving...
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 01-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I'll work occassionally for a region's event when I am not entered, but the bottom line for me is that this is not SOLO.

I am busy during an event since I don't use any crew.

Basically what Andy said. Time is a big factor.

On the rare occassions I do go to a SCCA race weekend I'm not racing, my wife joins me. She is pretty accomodating with my racing but has absolutely no interest in becoming any more involved than she already is. So getting her to volunteer is out. She enjoys these events and my volunteering when she goes isn't realistic.

Another issue (once again related to time) is many events are two days including a weekday which means taking a vacation day.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Why are there so few of us that do?
    Easy: Time, money, and personal motivations.

There's only so many weekends available in which to partake the hobby, and those are taken up with driving (and the off weekends are usually used fixing the race car). There's only so much money available for the hobby, so that which may be left over is used for driving (instead of using travel money to F&C).

Plus, when you're at the track, there's only so much time between sessions, with none left for working a corner (I try to tech whenever possible, but my participation prevents me from being consistent.)

I've been asked to work events exclusively (Scott's trying to get me to be a chief, while Roberts is trying to convince me to enter the stewards program) but my interest is in driving. To be brutally honest, if I'm not driving or participating in some capacity (such as crew chief, enduro manager, or paid data aq guy) my motivation to spend my discretionary time and money "be there" is pretty damn thin. Does that make me selfish in that regard? Absolutely. Is there anything wrong with that? Of course not.

I suppose if I were ever to become disabled to the point I can't drive or ill and can't pass the medical, then I might consider further participation as a volunteer. But I can't say that for sure, as I don't know what my motivation would be at that point.

Drivers see the SCCA as a service provider because, frankly, that's what it is. While drivers recognize that volunteers provide a valuable service, they also invest a lot of time and money to be there; in effect, to provide the club atmosphere that the volunteers can "enjoy". Granted, it's a lop-sided affair, but short of charging the drivers more to provide to the volunteers (which would probably kill the goose) there's not much more you can do about it...conversely, if the volunteers decided it was no longer worth it, then the goose commits suicide...

Ours is a system that relies on drivers wanting to pay-to-play, and volunteers wanting to volunteer. Short of some other motiviation to get drivers more involved, I suggest that's going to be hard to overcome...

GA, former National F&C license holder

i've worked corners before......found it mostly boring with a few moments of fun. if the club would finally grow a pair and cut/consolidate where needed to create larger and more entertaining races, that might change.

but overall, i don't have enough fun volunteering to justify the expense and time it requires. remember, SCCA is a CLUB, and this is our HOBBY. i don't want it to turn into more WORK, i do that enough during the week.

it's a symbiotic relationship, the workers and drivers need each other to enjoy our similar, but different hobbies.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I could never flag on a weekend I was driving. The way the flagging rotations work at all the events I have been to, it would be unfair to leave the team a man short most of the day. Pre and post qual/race work takes up some serious time. Also conserving energy levels is a big issue.

Now, I have and will continue working EV when the tracks allow it. But the WDC EV crew has enough staff and we can plan so that if I need to duck out a few sessions, or cannot go to baker for until after lunch we can work out the rotations and the staffing needed for all the responses.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

There is a fundamental flaw with the SCCA IMO.

You see, its marketed and treated as a "club" that is run by its members and should be a social event as well.

Many, many of the drivers do not care about it being a club, rather they look at SCCA as a provider of track time and a place to race (i.e. - a business)

The fundamental problem I see in the SCCA is we are stuck in a not for profit motive, but no one else beside the insiders see it this way.

It's funny how over time the SCCA seems more and more like it should be run as a business and not as a club, but guidelines prohibit that.

This is the cirlce of doom scenario that I believe we are in. Its not fair to pay volunteers in a "club", but the drivers would rather pay a few extra bucks and have paid people if it means keeping racing going.

Its a catch 22
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    Its not fair to pay volunteers in a "club", but the drivers would rather pay a few extra bucks and have paid people if it means keeping racing going.
    If you pay 'em, then they aren't volunteers.

A couple of reasons why few go from the paddock to the station and back during the weekend:

1. Attitude - I'm paying to race, not work.
    2. Attitude - I'm here to race, not flag.
    3. Time - Say you got an 8-group weekend scratch 4 sessions in the AM and PM. 2 sessions before you go out, you're checking pressures/nuts/fluids (if everything went well the last session), 1 before you are out you are changing. You are out. 1 after, you are changing and drinking water like a fish.
    4. Competency - as someone who started on corners, I don't want part-time flaggers covering by back. I want someone who knows how to flag - and that takes practice. There are drivers who I would trust with my back and, not surprisingly, they all started on corners.
    5. Competency - Driver's who lack situational awareness on track = bad. Flaggers who lack situational awareness = very bad.

That being said, you don't want to pay for flaggers. We couldn't afford the level of competency we get with our current volunteer/contribution system.

Here's a couple of suggestions for encouraging our volunteers:
    1. If it's cold - go to the concession stand and buy 5 hot drinks. Take to a group of vols out in the cold.
    2. If it's hot - go to the concession stand and buy 5 popsicles or ice cream cones. Take to a group of vols out in the heat.
    3. If a vol stops at your paddock spot during the day - offer them a drink.
    4. Buy 10-lbs of roasted peanuts and give 'em to a speciality chief. Workers love peanuts.
    5. Get your entire race group together and COOK the vols lunch.

Not only does this encourage the vols, but it also means that they will keep their eyes on you when you are on course. Which car are you more likely to go to first? The one driving by a recognizable face or the one driven by an unknown helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post

5. Get your entire race group together and COOK the vols lunch.
    I love that idea
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

With all of reasons mentioned, I think it would be hard to tap much into the driver pool for volunteers. What about various technical schools - maybe try to hook them into volunteering? Or local colleges? Many of them have car clubs and could have interest.

I think another issue sometimes is how the various positions are marketed. I do not think it's an easy task by any means.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

pheh..

it's simple, but not entirely simple.

My personal reasons are time related. If I'm at teh track racing, there's probably somebody in my world that's pissed. So, "away" time is costly. To go to races where I'm not driving requires me to pay that cost somehow.

Secondly, i decided awhile ago that a way to "give back" to the club was to serve as a volunteer on the ITAC. it's a more managable time situation as it can be done in smaller block spread out thru the month.

Third, working races costs money, on top of the time. For the majority of NER races I need to drive 3 -4 hours to NHIS, (leave Fri night) get a hotel for two nights and return on Sunday, late.

Now, i *do* try to volunteer for odd things, and have run the info booth at Lime Rock during pro weekends and chaired events in the past, but I try to limit that to LRP. of course, NER events at LRP are nearly non existant now.

In leau of that, i try to add money to the worker fund. NNJR gave me a pack of cookies for that ...mmmm cookies!

And yes, some weekends I can help when I'm at the track, but that's not ussually the case.

Short answer Dick: Time and money. And i've managed to "giveback" in other ways, although the region doesn't benefit from that.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com