There aren't many times that I agree with JJJanos, but I must say that he's basically hit the nail on the head. I spend more than $100 per weekend that I volunteer to work corners. Sometimes, I spend $300+. My time is just as valuable as anyone else's there. I have other things that I need to do as well. My wife isn't always happy for me to be gone all weekend (although, sometimes I'm sure she is!!). I do not come and spend my time, effort and money to see ____ racing against _____ in ____ run group. Yes, the racing can be entertaining at times. Working corners is much like being an airline pilot with HOURS of boredom punctuated by seconds of terror. Like Mr. Janos, the last thing that I want on my corner is someone who is inattentive, uninterested, or prone to distraction. I don't think that drivers should work corners on weekends that they race unless they have at least a half a day to give. While I am a corner worker, I am also a driver. I love to race (albeit slowly) and I've been fortunate enough to do it for the last five years. I've been working corners for six.

Before I get off of my soapbox, I'd like to say that the SCCA is a club. Just because you've paid an entry fee doesn't obligate me to drive to the race and work corners. I have to pay money to do that, too (although the Atlanta Region does pay $80 per weekend for Regional and Divisional license holders in F&C and $120 for the weekend for National license holders). Sitting in 100*+ heat in July at Road Atlanta is NOT where I want to be. Believe me, the $80-$120 we get as "payment" is a small consolation and rarely covers the expense of going to a race. However, as a club member who wants to see the club succeed and see the races happen, I am there. I couldn't care much less about "how entertaining" the race is. It's my job to watch, report, document, observe, communicate, flag, and respond. Your pass in turn one may have been the greatest move ever seen in the history of automobiles, but I'm in turn 5 and I didn't see it. Don't think that (all) corner workers come for the thrill of the race. We can't hear the track announcements due to having headphones on to talk to race control and we're too busy watching for parts falling off of the LBC or keeping an eye on the nitwit who has driven off in turn 2 for the fourth time this session.

I would like to personally thank Butch Kummer for working corners. I have had the chance to work with him and he's darned good. If anyone out there is willing and interested in working corners, we'd be glad to have you. If you haven't done it for 30 years, not much has changed. If you've never done it, you might learn a thing or two, make new friends, and maybe have a good time!

Let the flaming begin!!

Scott Franklin
F&C
ITA/7
SPU