Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to road racing, and thus IT

Quote Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
    Yup, that'd be him.
    Cool. He's interested in a trans case I have, but we've so far been unable to get our schedules to work out. Next time you see/talk to him, tell him to come get this trans out of my garage. I need the floor space!

He has a nice Rally Focus. I watched the build via his posts on FocalJet.

Dan
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Oooh, bring that spare bumper with you with some vinyl "Rubbin' is Racing!" on it to the school. Maybe bring the doors and hood too and have it all laid out ready to go?
    It's funny, I always said that while watching everyone else race, or while racing the fun center go-karts, but now that it's my own car, my own money, and the fact that the entire front of my car is made from plastic that's nearly as old as me...:eek:
    I'll be giving everyone a wide bearth.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by dhardison View Post
    Cool. He's interested in a trans case I have, but we've so far been unable to get our schedules to work out. Next time you see/talk to him, tell him to come get this trans out of my garage. I need the floor space!

He has a nice Rally Focus. I watched the build via his posts on FocalJet.

Dan
    Just sent him an email. We could really use that case so I'll stay on him about that. Though I don't know that he has room for anything else in his garage either.

The car is a really nice build and Andrew is a great and incredibly knowledgeable guy. Now if we could just get the rally suspension sorted out we'd be good to go.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Dan, Kevin, Bill and anybody else fairly closeby:
    I still need to get some safety equipment; namely helmet, gloves and shoes. Are there any speed shops around that I just don't know about that carry a decent selection? My helmet for rally is an open face Peltor and before I go out and buy another helmet by a different manufacturer I'd like to try some on for fitment.

So far Dan is the only one that has spoke on spares, how much stuff do the rest of you lug around to the track?
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Great, another Honda. J/K. It's great to see another C car out there. Looking forward to seeing you at M-O. might want to look into the National at Mid-Ohio June 1 weekend I think. It's a restricted regional and it's cheap. Great way to learn the track for cheap. Also, Fundayz at Nelsons. For about $125 you can beat the amount of track time. Basically until you physically can't drive anymore. Nelsons seems to be a great place for C car counts. I thought it was scary at first, but once you get the hang of track it's a blast.
    You may want try Summit Racing. They have a lot of safety equipment in stock so you can try them on. The last thing you want have is a helmet to loose or your suit too tight around the boys. Like they say you either have Simpson head or a Bell head.
    ITC #05
    '82 Jetta
    NEOhio
    Shutter-Up Inc.
    Olmsted Auto Care
    Light Doctor

Dan, Kevin, Bill and anybody else fairly closeby:
    I still need to get some safety equipment; namely helmet, gloves and shoes. Are there any speed shops around that I just don't know about that carry a decent selection?
    For helmets, shoes & underwear Jeg's is close by (three locations in Cols). Their selection of suits pretty much consists of the two-piece type which is rarely used in road racing (for some reason).

Summit is a good choice as well (just father from Cols), but they carry a lot of the same items as Jeg's.

Dan
    Dan

Hmm, I was hoping there would be other options besides JEGS and Summit that I just wasn't aware of.

Jay05, I remember seeing you at lot of the races last year. I crewed for Jim in the silver/bright green ITC Civic that was always on your tail.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Ryan: There's TrueChoice here in Columbus, and Continental Motorsports in Mason (near Cincinnatti). Unless you are replacing a helmet with the exact make and model, I recommend a personal fitting as opposed to mail order. Oh, yea, make sure that if you are going to wear a head sock, bring that with you as well. Same with the suit, unless you are VERY average size. Other stuff, like undies you can get mail order. Continental Motorsports is generally about the same price as other mail orders (Pegasus, Racer Wholesale....) but they maintain a store at Mid-Ohio during the year (VERY convenient to replace stuff at the track!!!!). So when I have a choice, I throw my business their way, just to keep them in business. Both of these places have web sites so you can see what they carry.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Aha, that's what I was looking for, thanks Bill.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

I crewed for Jim in the silver/bright green ITC Civic that was always on your tail.
    Did he attend the driver's school in April '08 with that silver/bright green ITC Civic? The one that broke and you guys worked on well in to the night on Saturday? If so, we were paddock'd directly across from you with the black SSC Focus (and spare yellow '99 ZX2).
    Dan

That was me, but we didn't break, other than spitting some trans fluid. My paddock partner Mike in the blue probe broke a knuckle (on the car) during the track day, but they got that fixed fairly quickly. The car that was worked into the night was a neon across from us. I think that was timing belt. They got it running but it didn't last thru Sunday.

So for the worst thing I've had happen is having the hood blow up on the way to an autocross. Doh.

And yes, I blame BillS and DaveG equally for making me think I can do this. So far they are right. Now if I can just learn to pass that blue Jetta I'll be happy.

jim
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Ryan, I get pretty much all of my stuff from saferacer.com. They have good prices, a great selection, and have a lot of stuff in stock so it gets to you pretty quickly. I believe, but you may want to check with them to be sure, that they will take stuff back if it doesn't fit properly and exchange it for another size. They also are great on the phone at helping you pick the right size in the first place. They've always been great for me.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    That was me, but we didn't break, other than spitting some trans fluid. My paddock partner Mike in the blue probe broke a knuckle (on the car) during the track day, but they got that fixed fairly quickly. The car that was worked into the night was a neon across from us. I think that was timing belt. They got it running but it didn't last thru Sunday.

jim
    Ahh, that's right it was a Neon that was worked on into the night. I broke a left-front hub that day, so there was a lot of wrenchin' going on in that area.

Dan
    Dan

Oh yeah, I remember seeing the Focus and ZX2 now.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    Now if I can just learn to pass that blue Jetta I'll be happy.

jim
    And only if we could catch the X1/9 and the yellow Honda. I bet it's lonely up front.
    ITC #05
    '82 Jetta
    NEOhio
    Shutter-Up Inc.
    Olmsted Auto Care
    Light Doctor

Ryan .
    Welcome to ITC , good to see someone getting into the class . My brother Devin and I have both run ITC Civics in the past . I have since converted my car to H-Prod .

Lots of good info on this site .
    If by chance you don't make your two school requirement Waterford Hills will be putting on it's annual drivers school this year too . Drivers School - April 25-26 .

You can check out our complete season schedule at www.waterfordhills.com
    We are located just a half hour north of Detroit in Clarkston Mi .
    Todd Robbins. [email protected]

I too run an ITC CRX and with my smaller SUV tow vehicle, don't carry many spares. Basically spare brake pads, rear shoes, a set of front rotors and fluids. I do bring a good selection of tools so that I can repair other items, if needed and can find parts locally.

These cars are pretty bullet proof.

If you need a suit, this seems like a good deal. http://www.bellracing.com/public/ind...uct/detail/42/
    ITC #05
    '82 Jetta
    NEOhio
    Shutter-Up Inc.
    Olmsted Auto Care
    Light Doctor

I've been a lurking around here for awhile and now that I finally have my first car I figured I'd say hi. I live in Columbus, OH and have been wanting to race for as long as I can remember but put myself through college, got married, and bought a house instead. Finally I said enough with all that, time to do something fun, so I hooked up with a local guy that rallys and started co-driving last year. Rally is a blast but I'm in the wrong seat so...

...this past weekend I picked up the ITC CRX that was for sale on this site, the "Smurf" as it was affectionately known by both young and old. After a long tow I now find myself with a garage full of more wheels/tires than I've owned in my entire life. The plan is to get everything sorted and have the car tech'd in time to do the double drivers school at Blackhawk in April.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and throw my hat in the ring. I look forward to meeting (and beating, ha!) some of you at a track somewhere in the near future. If you have beginner racing/car prep advice, I'm all ears!

It was nice to meet you at the Sanblast Rally. It was sad to see the TDI not finish, but y'all seemed like you were not too crushed. I hope the CRX comes along well, maybe we'll run into you again at the Mid Ohio IT fest. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Conover View Post
    It was nice to meet you at the Sanblast Rally. It was sad to see the TDI not finish, but y'all seemed like you were not too crushed. I hope the CRX comes along well, maybe we'll run into you again at the Mid Ohio IT fest. Good Luck!
    It was good meeting you also. The DNF sucked because:
    1) it was my first DNF
    2) we were having a lot of fun
    3) it's a DNF

But at the same time it wasn't too bad because we crammed so much fun into the first half of the rally. And I learned that if you are going to go out, do it front of a mess of spectators. Everyone knew us in town that weekend because we broke in front of everyone in that R2 and gave everyone a fire scare. Plus we got our 15 minutes of YouTube fame.

Michael is currently putting a 1.8T tranny in the TDI in hopes that the driveshafts will be stronger; plus the addition of a 6th gear will be nice.

The CRX is slowly getting there. If everything continues to go well you can definitely plan on seeing me at the IT Fest.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams