Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Camber adjustment 300zx

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Doesn't the 240sx use ball joints to locate the rear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Yes, sphericals are used in place of suspension bushings, explicitly allowed as per ITCS.

Sorry, man...

GA
    Where did I say that ball joints are suspension bushings?
    Right there
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Right there
    I do not know what the rear suspension design is on a 240SX. But, if they use the same design as your #3, then my same position applies (read my edit in the above post).

But that still doesn't allow #4 to be replaced with anything but a stock-equivalent ball joint. - GA

Struts aren't a subtractor.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I do not know what the rear suspension design is on a 240SX. But, if they use the same design as your #3, then my same position applies (read my edit in the above post).

But that still doesn't allow #4 to be replaced with anything but a stock-equivalent ball joint. - GA
    Here's one upside down:

Notice the ball joint on the lower a-arm, that's what binds when the 240sx gets lowered, that's why they need spherical bearings. Since this ball joint can be swaped out for a spherical bearing, why not the front one?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

100% with Greg here guys. Suspension bushings are suspension bushings. Ball joints are ball joints. Ball joints may 'act like a bushing', but they are not 'suspension bushings'. There is no provision in the ITCS to modify or upgrade the ball joints.
    Andy Bettencourt

Notice the ball joint on the lower a-arm, that's what binds when the 240sx gets lowered, that's why they need spherical bearings. Since this ball joint can be swaped out for a spherical bearing, why not the front one?
    I can't make out the specifics from the photo, but assuming that it's similar to a standard front suspension ball joint, then what gives you the idea that it can be swapped out for a spherical bearing?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    then what gives you the idea that it can be swapped out for a spherical bearing?
    The answer will be: because all the 240SX guys do it.

The REAL answer: because nobody ever protested it and got a ruling from HQ.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post

Ding ding ding!!

And now, for the $64,000 question...

"But everyone's doing it, and it's been this way for years...it should be legal!"

And slipparooni, down the slope we go.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    Bite me, Knestis. Or we could sit around and and debate rules that have already been clarified by national...........endlessly. It is not a case of just believeing. It is a case that has already been discussed and clarified. I know you guys love to discuss philosphically the nature of the rules, but some time it feels like "navel contemplation"................endlessly. Granted, I don't have to read it.

Also, the meaning of life is open to interpertation. Like some of our rules.

The sky is blue, because someone protested it, and SCCA National upheld the ruling that indeed it was!

Any other questions. I have answers for them all, and it won't take 12 pages.

Sounds like it was upheld. So if it's legal on the back why not the front?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Sounds like it was upheld. So if it's legal on the back why not the front?
    HuH???

Fist, where does that first quote from Tristan come from?? Not this thread that I can find. And Kirk (Knestis) the fellow referenced in the quote in the "Bite me" section.. (?!?!?!?!?) hasn't even posted on this thread.

So, I fail to see how this particular item has been protested and or upheld. Can we see proof?
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-30-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    HuH???

Fist, where does that first quote from Tristan come from?? Not this thread that I can find. And Kirk (Knestis) the fellow referenced in the quote in the "Bite me" section.. (?!?!?!?!?) hasn't even posted on this thread.

So, I fail to see how this particular item has been protested and or upheld. Can we see proof?
    Jake,

I'm from Missouri, so I understand your need for proof. But, really you should remember it's from Greg's spherical "bushings" thread top of page 14.

https://improvedtouring.com...ension&page=14

Again, if it's legal on the rear why not the front? Back to the definition the first two words are, "A Bearing" seems to me that we're just swapping one "Bearing" for another.

ps. I was going to take the reference to Kirk out, but then it didn't make sense. So I appologise for draging that part back up after it's been water under the bridge for years.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 01-30-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added the ps
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Who said it's legal in the rear? Again, just because people are doing it, doesn't make it legal.
    Andy Bettencourt

Just got off the phone with the local guys who run 240SX's. They do not know anyone who has replaced the rear ball joints with anything aftermarket. In fact, he went on to say that with all the 'real' rubber suspension bushings replaced, there is no bind AT ALL with that ball joint. He ran the suspension through way more than its normal range (with no shock) and proved that to himself.

We also pointed out that the original supplier of the 'kit' for SB's, Westek (sp?), did NOT provide anything aftermarket for the rear ball joints.
    Andy Bettencourt

Jake,

I'm from Missouri, so I understand your need for proof. But, really you should remember it's from Greg's spherical "bushings" thread top of page 14.

https://improvedtouring.com...ension&page=14

Again, if it's legal on the rear why not the front? Back to the definition the first two words are, "A Bearing" seems to me that we're just swapping one "Bearing" for another.

ps. I was going to take the reference to Kirk out, but then it didn't make sense. So I appologise for draging that part back up after it's been water under the bridge for years.
    yea, like i remember individual posts in a 14 page thread, LOL. Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm a theory guy, i suck at specific item memory.

And who says it's legal!!?!? Lets see the protest result.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

LOL - I'm glad the forum has the "view post" feature in quotes, 'cuz I had no luck searching on the string "bite me."

I'm late to this party (who knew it would get interesting?) but golly, please do let it be true. Please, please, please.

I'd personally front development and the first production run of CMS "super proven-legal spherical lower strut bushing kits" for the full range of Golves. And if you order two sets (should have spares, you know), we'll throw in a pair of CMS "super proven-legal tie rod end bushing replacement kits," featuring Steer-O-Matic(r) correction.

K

EDIT - I'm positively giddy here! Imagine Pablo being able to drive around a corner at Mid-Ohio. Whew. I'm going go sit down for a minute.

Just got off the phone with the local guys who run 240SX's. They do not know anyone who has replaced the rear ball joints with anything aftermarket. In fact, he went on to say that with all the 'real' rubber suspension bushings replaced, there is no bind AT ALL with that ball joint. He ran the suspension through way more than its normal range (with no shock) and proved that to himself.

We also pointed out that the original supplier of the 'kit' for SB's, Westek (sp?), did NOT provide anything aftermarket for the rear ball joints.
    I'll admit I'm not an expert on anything Nissan, I just remembered that TurboICE posted a picture of the rear suspension, and remembering how it worked, I looked for his post.

That being said, the reason for alternate bushing material is what? To remove rubber elements anywhere In the suspension, right? So what about rubber isolation in the balljoint?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Wow, I just went back and read the last couple pages of that thread...

(low whistle)

man, those were good times huh!?

Place seems quieter now that DD is SM-ing.

I'll say this, my NEXT car looks like it's gonna have some trick chit under the fenders.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    ...but golly, please do let it be true. Please, please, please.
    +819trillion. Thought that NX was hot shit before? Hoh-lee kee-rap: imagine that engine and it handles...oh, Timmy...? Looking for some easy "partnership investment" to get that car back online...? I only want to use it, oh, one event a year...

Keep me posted on this "ball joints is bushings" stuff, please?

GA, watching intently...

So what about the RSX it's stock shocks look like this with a built in steering arm.

Now Ignoring the remote resevoir would it be legal to replace the RSX strut with one shown like below with a adjustable height steering arm?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Uhlinger

I enjoy Greg and Jake's "please let ME do this" posts, but I can guarantee you guys RIGHT NOW that nobody on the ITAC or the CRB thinks this is even CLOSE.
    Andy Bettencourt