Thread: Camber adjustment 300zx

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Camber adjustment 300zx

ok, so there is no camber adjustment possible on the 90-96 z32 300zx. It's all factory set, much like McPhearson Strut is. Like a strut, as the car is lowered the camber increases. So like a strut equiped suspension, can I ask for a rule allowance to substitute the upper control arm with an adjustable one? It's only function would be camber. It doesn't/can't change any any other setting. Camber plates on strut cars perform the same function. In fact you can also change caster with camber plates but not with what I would be requesting.

this is stock:

adjustable :

or this:

If not, why the allowance for strut cars and not something that performs a similar function for a slightly different suspension set up?

What do the Honda guys do with their double a-arm, or cars with a similar set up as above? Thanks.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

They use, I bet, eccentric bushings.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

yes, that's what I figured. Looks like I may have to create some. It is odd that the allowance is made for one type of suspension but not for others. Having had strut cars, I have never really thought about it till now. It seems a bit unfair that one type of suspension is allowed to put in an after market piece while other types are not. Especially if they perform no other function.
    Last edited by Tristan Smith; 01-26-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    Tristan Smith

There is an allowance for an aftermarket part to fix it, as Jake said eccentric bushings.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    yes, that's what I figured. Looks like I may have to create some. It is odd that the allowance is made for one type of suspension but not for others. Having had strut cars, I have never really thought about it till now. It seems a bit unfair that one type of suspension is allowed to put in an after market piece while other types are not. Especially if they perform no other function.
    I'm with you on this one.

That "ITR" 300zx that Jeff got has some aftermarket contraption to adjust camber. It is not legal for sure but it won't be raced in that configuration here in the SE.

With my ill-fated Jensen we never get around to solving the problem with bushings. So, since I just wanted to get the car on track and see if it had potential I slotted the ball mount mount holes so I could pull the top of the upright in. Illegal, yes, but at that time I did not have the money or skills to figure out how to do it correctly with bushings. Fortunately it never raced so no animals or children were harmed in the making of the Jensen.

The Jensen nearlly killed you. It stole my sanity. It took your money. I said plenty of harm done.

Tristan, I remember when I was looking around on the Millen and other webpages, I think the answer to the camber "problem" was eccentric bushings and they were available. The aftermarket upper arms with camber adjustment are, unfortunately, both easy to use and illegal.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    The Jensen nearlly killed you. It stole my sanity. It took your money. I said plenty of harm done.
    But no animals or children were harmed.

Eccentric bushings are certainly the ticket but it is a bit of an anomaly in the rules set that you are forced to use that rather inelegant solution while other designs enjoy proper changes for the sole effect of allowing camber improvements.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    They use, I bet, eccentric bushings.
    I believe some a-arm cars may have hit a very large speed bump on the way to the track as well. Pretty known quantity in SS and I'm guessing it migrated to IT.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by esuvee View Post
    I believe some a-arm cars may have hit a very large speed bump on the way to the track as well. Pretty known quantity in SS and I'm guessing it migrated to IT.

Alex

what????!!! somebody is "bending the rules" a little? I am shocked and dismayed. :eek:
    Tristan Smith

I wish someone would have accident with my car and bend the axle tubes up a bit. Just a bit.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Greg Amy -

I'm confused. Why do you say you can fix camber curves but not roll centers? On strut cars, the RC is determined by the angle of the strut and the inclination of the lower control arm. You can't do much with the former, but the lower control arm inclination CAN be changed through the use of the so-called "turn-in spacers". As you note, you can't change the inner pickup point, but since you can modify the strut with the spacers, you can accomplish the same thing at the other end of the control arm, i.e., changing the lower control arm angle and thus the RC location.

To me, the camber change curve with struts has always been the bigger problem, as in, having to run 5 degrees static camber.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?