Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First set of tires

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    A Kumho is a much better choice than a Toyo--cheaper too...just remind yourself that there simply is nothing faster than a new Hoosier!
    We've pretty much decided to at least start on Toyos this year, and we're definitely not new to the game... Why?

- Cheaper. Toyo RA-1s are on closeout, and my 225/50-15s are $155 each, shaved. Hoosiers are $220 each. That's a diff of over $200 per set.
    - Last longer. Just a WAG, but Toyos will probably last 2-3 times what the Hoosiers will. That's cuts our tire bill in half again.
    - Competition. I'm getting word that our local competition will be light this year.
    - Competitiveness/"out there to have fun". I'm not convinced the car we're (re)building is going to be long-term competitive. So, we're running with the attitude this year of "we're out there to have fun".
    - Lack of contingency. Last year several tire manufacturers offered contingency sponsorship; "word" is that's pretty much gone across the board.

Don't know if you've noticed (the media been fairly silent on it ), but the economy ain't too good right now, and a little frugality is in order. Given the choice between fewer races with faster tires that go away sooner, or more races with slower tires that last longer, I think the choice is obvious. I suspect if we choose to make the haul to the "big events" like IT Fest and ARRC we'll switch to the purple glue, but for the most part we'll choose to save some coin and enjoy the ride...

Besides, more track/seat time results in better lap times, far more so than less time and sticky tires...and, if we do well on Toyos we look like heroes...

GA

Where will you be racing this year? Did you buy a silver/gray ITB rabbit? If you are racing at Waterford Hills I can get you information you will need. Most guys run Hoosiers or Toyos. I ran both, Hoosiers are the way to go but Toyos will be fine for the first year.
    Tom
    Owner/Driver of the TF American Racing Mustang ITB/STU #00 (in repair mode)

I don't just burn the candle at both ends...I use a blow torch"

http://tfamericanracing.blogspot.com

- Cheaper. Toyo RA-1s are on closeout, and my 225/50-15s are $155 each, shaved. Hoosiers are $220 each. That's a diff of over $200 per set.

Where are you buying the Toyos at that price
    Hammer
    CFR
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56
    2009 Nissan GTR
    2010 Nismo 370z
    http://www.ReedNissan.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Where are you buying the Toyos at that price
    http://www.philstireservice.com Call and ask for Phil.

(Guess I need to get off my duff and order tires before they run out...)

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    I have a set of 14" Toyos with plenty of life on VW snowflakes that I would sell.
    Do you still have these and if so, would you consider shipping? Like the original poster, I'm a road race newb and just got an ITB prepped MK 2 Golf for Christmas. I got lots of spares parts but no wheels and the RA1s on it are showing signs of dry rot.

Thanks
    Chris

The RA-1s are spoken for now. I do have a set of 14x6 wheels with no tires that need a home. They are the 5 spoke Imolas from the 97 Jetta GT. Shoot me a zip and I will see how nutty shipping will be.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

first post here and you are asking for advice. that is good.

okay, this is how we do it here at IT.com. i have a used set of toyo RA-1's in the 205-55-14 range and i will give them to you on one condition. you have to do your darndest to attend and/or participate in the IT spectacular at Mid-Ohio.

folks have helped me on tires in the past and now i can pass on that same generosity.

you are from near detroit, right? i am in grand rapids.

i think a couple of tires are still on rims. if you would reimburse me for removing the tires from the rims that would be your only cost.

if you have free access to a tire machine with someone through waterford, i can probably bring the tires to you within a month. if we could work it out that we could pull my tires off the rims and mount a set of mine, we could both win. for this scenario, i will split my fuel costs with you. 150 miles one way at $2.00 per gallon and 50 mpg means $6 to you.

sound fair?
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

That's the spirit, Tom!!

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but i had a tire question.

This will be my first year racing and i was looking at getting a set of Nitto-NT01s now through phil's the RA-1s are the same price. Any suggestions on which tire to run for the first year racing. Ive been doing track days on 710s the last few years but the budget isnt there to continue with those tires.

Thanks

Wes

I have personaly never seen anyone run that tire in road racing but the toyo is a proven tire - if in doubt go with the toyo.

tom, you get 50 mpg? Nice.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Alex,

i am sending you a PM or email. have not seen that you have posted back to this thread. not sure if you are watching it or not. i am serious about the tires.

Dave, the 50 mpg is a stretch for the winter time and 70 mph. but if the temps are near 50 and i drive 62, it should not be an issue.

best was ~67 mpg when making a specific run at 55-60 mph for a 200 mile run on the freeway. good mileage but very boring drive! difficult to commit to taking nearly an extra hour for something.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I don't know how you'll get all those tires on a freakin motorcycle Tom, but hats off to ya!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I don't know how you'll get all those tires on a freakin motorcycle Tom, but hats off to ya!
    One on each arm, or both around his neck!!!!!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Alex - drop me a line via PM or email... I hear you got Gonzalo's old car - great! I can (and in fact have been tasked to) help you ITB rookies help get ready for the Waterford school and season...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    Alex - drop me a line via PM or email... I hear you got Gonzalo's old car - great! I can (and in fact have been tasked to) help you ITB rookies help get ready for the Waterford school and season...
    From personal experience you have some really good help there.
    Vaughan let him know I have a few extra used Toyos if he is interested.
    Tom
    Owner/Driver of the TF American Racing Mustang ITB/STU #00 (in repair mode)

I don't just burn the candle at both ends...I use a blow torch"

http://tfamericanracing.blogspot.com

I am looking for some used tires for a 14" wheel. I just need to get the car setup and my father through driver school and first few races. I would hate for him to flat spot a new tire, like has been said on here before.

Does anybody have some in the SE they are willing to part from?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    I am looking for some used tires for a 14" wheel. I just need to get the car setup and my father through driver school and first few races. I would hate for him to flat spot a new tire, like has been said on here before.

Does anybody have some in the SE they are willing to part from?
    Check at Sebring this weekend. If you don't find a cheap (or free) set, I'd be suprised. Check with some of the front-running 'rabbits'.
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

assuming I get to run enough to need tires and not just use up old junk ones I have. I'll be buying v710 because tire rack has 205/55-14 for 128 a piece unless the price has changed in the last week. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by splats View Post
    Check at Sebring this weekend. If you don't find a cheap (or free) set, I'd be suprised. Check with some of the front-running 'rabbits'.
    Will be there.. For those that I see down there, if you see a tall blonde goofy looking guy walking towards you that you don't know.. I am not meaning to be rude.. I just need your tires!
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]