Thread: First set of tires

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

first post here and you are asking for advice. that is good.

okay, this is how we do it here at IT.com. i have a used set of toyo RA-1's in the 205-55-14 range and i will give them to you on one condition. you have to do your darndest to attend and/or participate in the IT spectacular at Mid-Ohio.

folks have helped me on tires in the past and now i can pass on that same generosity.

you are from near detroit, right? i am in grand rapids.

i think a couple of tires are still on rims. if you would reimburse me for removing the tires from the rims that would be your only cost.

if you have free access to a tire machine with someone through waterford, i can probably bring the tires to you within a month. if we could work it out that we could pull my tires off the rims and mount a set of mine, we could both win. for this scenario, i will split my fuel costs with you. 150 miles one way at $2.00 per gallon and 50 mpg means $6 to you.

sound fair?
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

That's the spirit, Tom!!

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but i had a tire question.

This will be my first year racing and i was looking at getting a set of Nitto-NT01s now through phil's the RA-1s are the same price. Any suggestions on which tire to run for the first year racing. Ive been doing track days on 710s the last few years but the budget isnt there to continue with those tires.

Thanks

Wes

I have personaly never seen anyone run that tire in road racing but the toyo is a proven tire - if in doubt go with the toyo.

tom, you get 50 mpg? Nice.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Alex,

i am sending you a PM or email. have not seen that you have posted back to this thread. not sure if you are watching it or not. i am serious about the tires.

Dave, the 50 mpg is a stretch for the winter time and 70 mph. but if the temps are near 50 and i drive 62, it should not be an issue.

best was ~67 mpg when making a specific run at 55-60 mph for a 200 mile run on the freeway. good mileage but very boring drive! difficult to commit to taking nearly an extra hour for something.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I don't know how you'll get all those tires on a freakin motorcycle Tom, but hats off to ya!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com