Thread: First set of tires

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    I am looking for some used tires for a 14" wheel. I just need to get the car setup and my father through driver school and first few races. I would hate for him to flat spot a new tire, like has been said on here before.

Does anybody have some in the SE they are willing to part from?
    Check at Sebring this weekend. If you don't find a cheap (or free) set, I'd be suprised. Check with some of the front-running 'rabbits'.
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

assuming I get to run enough to need tires and not just use up old junk ones I have. I'll be buying v710 because tire rack has 205/55-14 for 128 a piece unless the price has changed in the last week. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by frnkhous View Post
    assuming I get to run enough to need tires and not just use up old junk ones I have. I'll be buying v710 because tire rack has 205/55-14 for 128 a piece unless the price has changed in the last week. Just a thought
    Last time i checked they were back up to $155 or $158 a piece. Probably was an error. i knew I should have ordered them online when I saw them that cheap.:eek:
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Do the Toyo's need to be shaved to be a decent competitive tire or can the tread stay. Do the Toyo's need to be heat cycled prior to using in a race. Thanks for the advice !!!!!
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Re: tred or no tred. Is your hope to use them as rain & dry tires?

Toyos don't need to be heat cycled.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I have 1 set already setup with full tread for rain. I now need a good set for dry racing as the current set is less than optimal!!!!!!!
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Dan--My experience with Toyos is that they can be a "greasy" tire when hot, so for the dry, they should be shaved.

Adds to the expense, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by wepsbee View Post
    Do the Toyo's need to be shaved to be a decent competitive tire or can the tread stay. Do the Toyo's need to be heat cycled prior to using in a race. Thanks for the advice !!!!!
    When I was starting out, I ran full tread RA1's in the dry. I did not think they were greasy, but they did not have competitive grip levels. As I wore down the tread, the grip got better and better. I would say you would need to shave an RA1 down to 2/32" (normal shaving is 4/32") to be competitive. I would say I gained about 2 sec (on a 1:30 lap time) on a nearly used up tire versus when I ran that same tire full tread. I never heat cycled my RA1's.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

Thanks for all the help!!
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Dan, I'd shave them to 4/32". Maybe if it were a spec tire for the class I'd do 2/32" but part of your decision obviously financially driven and it really won't make that much difference. Besides, after a couple of races you'll have the tires down to 2/32" anyway.

You know, I still feel bad about not having been able to help you more when at the Glen. I will never eat at that restaurant again!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by splats View Post
    Check at Sebring this weekend. If you don't find a cheap (or free) set, I'd be suprised. Check with some of the front-running 'rabbits'.
    Will be there.. For those that I see down there, if you see a tall blonde goofy looking guy walking towards you that you don't know.. I am not meaning to be rude.. I just need your tires!
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]