Thread: Question about suit sizes.. especially for tall people

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Question about suit sizes.. especially for tall people

It is time for me to finally get a suit. Go form behind the wrench to behind the wheel. I have done some searching on the forums about recommendations for driver suits. I am not concerned with what type of suit I am getting just yet.. my question is for a person of my build 6'4 180lbs. What suite fits me?

My waist I would fit a small but my height puts me in a 2XL. I believe that if I were to get a 2XL (average weight of a man being 240lbs) that it would be ridiculously baggy on me. Could I get away with running say an XL or L and stretch out the fabric I don’t' need for my waist to give me more room from ankle to shoulder?

So for the tall guys in here.. What size do you wear? I can't afford a custom suit.. I just want to go out and have fun.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Most of the suits I sell to tall thin people like yourself are the Alpinestars and OMP.

The other route is to get a suit that fits your torso length ( roughly the shoulder to crotch distance), arm length and leg length and then bring it to a tailor to be brought in. A number of places sell the nomex thread so you could bring the suit and thread to a local tailor. Also there are a few larger places that work on suit customizations that could do it too.

Yep, I had the same problem with a Sparco suit. I'm 6'1" and ~200. It was even worse buying a European brand, as I think their sizes are even more so designed for shorter, lighter people.

As noted above, buy for your torso length; there's nothing worse than having "your guys" all bunched up in a suit that you bought optimized for your waist/chest size. It's much easier to have it taken in than out...in my case, I didn't even bother.

GA

yep. I am 6'8 tall and 220lbs.

Lets just say a custom suit was the only option for me. Not for the width but for my height...! LOL.

So I have no room to spare. cant gain any weight!

I'm also 6'4 and 180lbs. I'll check my suit size and let you know.

k

The karting suit that I use fist my torso decently.. but the arms and legs are both short. my buddies sparco suit fist me ok.. but has alot of extra room around the waist. I definetly dont' have the money for a custom suit.. I just want to get out there and have fun.. So far all I have done is a number of HDPE's.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Yep, same problem. You sound about the same size as me. The best solution I found was to spend a few extra dollars and get a good custom suit. Surprisingly my custom Simpson was not that much more than their standard size. However, arm length was great, leg length was great, fit in the middle was good. I didn't have that annoying problem of the ankles of the pants being in the middle of my calves (like I did for a cheap standard suit), or the other problem of having enough suit material in the midsection for myself plus a co-driver. Because the suit covered me completely like it should, I felt safety was improved. Ultimately, higher driver comfort with fewer worries = more speed potential. I've gotten 10 years of high use out of my suit with no signs of wear except for some fading. A great $ to value ratio.