Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about suit sizes.. especially for tall people

Default Question about suit sizes.. especially for tall people

It is time for me to finally get a suit. Go form behind the wrench to behind the wheel. I have done some searching on the forums about recommendations for driver suits. I am not concerned with what type of suit I am getting just yet.. my question is for a person of my build 6'4 180lbs. What suite fits me?

My waist I would fit a small but my height puts me in a 2XL. I believe that if I were to get a 2XL (average weight of a man being 240lbs) that it would be ridiculously baggy on me. Could I get away with running say an XL or L and stretch out the fabric I don’t' need for my waist to give me more room from ankle to shoulder?

So for the tall guys in here.. What size do you wear? I can't afford a custom suit.. I just want to go out and have fun.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Most of the suits I sell to tall thin people like yourself are the Alpinestars and OMP.

The other route is to get a suit that fits your torso length ( roughly the shoulder to crotch distance), arm length and leg length and then bring it to a tailor to be brought in. A number of places sell the nomex thread so you could bring the suit and thread to a local tailor. Also there are a few larger places that work on suit customizations that could do it too.

Yep, I had the same problem with a Sparco suit. I'm 6'1" and ~200. It was even worse buying a European brand, as I think their sizes are even more so designed for shorter, lighter people.

As noted above, buy for your torso length; there's nothing worse than having "your guys" all bunched up in a suit that you bought optimized for your waist/chest size. It's much easier to have it taken in than out...in my case, I didn't even bother.

GA

yep. I am 6'8 tall and 220lbs.

Lets just say a custom suit was the only option for me. Not for the width but for my height...! LOL.

So I have no room to spare. cant gain any weight!

I'm also 6'4 and 180lbs. I'll check my suit size and let you know.

k

Yep, same problem. You sound about the same size as me. The best solution I found was to spend a few extra dollars and get a good custom suit. Surprisingly my custom Simpson was not that much more than their standard size. However, arm length was great, leg length was great, fit in the middle was good. I didn't have that annoying problem of the ankles of the pants being in the middle of my calves (like I did for a cheap standard suit), or the other problem of having enough suit material in the midsection for myself plus a co-driver. Because the suit covered me completely like it should, I felt safety was improved. Ultimately, higher driver comfort with fewer worries = more speed potential. I've gotten 10 years of high use out of my suit with no signs of wear except for some fading. A great $ to value ratio.

The karting suit that I use fist my torso decently.. but the arms and legs are both short. my buddies sparco suit fist me ok.. but has alot of extra room around the waist. I definetly dont' have the money for a custom suit.. I just want to get out there and have fun.. So far all I have done is a number of HDPE's.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

I am 6'4 and 180 - all legs. I went to racesuit.com and ordered a custom suit. I did not want to be swimming in a superXL just to keep my legs in the suit. I don't recall the price, but it was not silly expensive (I also did not go for a swanky Sparco or other similar brand - I think my suit is Extreme brand - to control cost).
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Can you give me an idea of how much these custom suits cost? I am just trying to get a feel here. I was planning on spending between 200-400 for a SFI-5 suit. When I worked for a local (predominately HSR) race team I talked to a few of the drivers.. though they were getting custom Stand21 suits.. the costs blew my mind.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

I am in the same boat, 6.3 and 170 (Wet). I swim in the "Standard sizes". Take a look at Bill Simpsons new company Impact Racing. He has a couple of different options. Also the pricing is not through the roof.

With those of you who have had a suit tailored did you have to give them the thread?

D
    Derek
    #76 ITR Toyota Celica GTS

Do any of you guys realize there are three meals a day? 6'2", 235.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

You can get an Impact suit custom suit for just over 1000 IIRC.

Design500 is about 1200 for a custom suit and the way I'd go for full custom.

Stand21 is a lot more than either of those still but the suits are the best out there they do have a strong following in the vintage market. They do everything in house now. No vendors. Russell who runs the shop in Atlanta for them is a top notch guy and knows his stuff.

OMP custom was 1600+ last I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise guy View Post
    Do any of you guys realize there are three meals a day? 6'2", 235.
    lol.. same here, though I SHOULD weigh 190-200 (and did a decade ago)... What suit have you got? I've been out of racing a while, and found my pristine suit is too small for the new fat me now. I'd like a Sparco if they fit our size...

pm sent

k

I eat well more than the standard three meals a day.. Just waiting for my metabolism to catch up.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

I paid about $1100-$1200 for my custom suit shipped to my door...

well I was about 215 during the season but winter tends to pack on a few pounds...
    I usually dont eat breakfast....just coffee:026:
    so two meals a day HAHA

My friends have a great metabolism...they can eat all damn day and not gain an ounce....
    however I look at food and gain 5 pounds....damn it!

Steve,
    I just got a suit for my nephew last week.You all have got the emails from this guy.Bob Zecca from teamdi.com.My nephew is 6-3ish and 170(tall/skinny)We got him a Safequip medium/tall,this is a kickass suit for 240 or whatever I paid.3 layer and this thing fits perfect.Hell, I am thinking about getting one there that nice,we got a red one with black accents.I also got a helmet for him,I think the brand is a Zamp,and there is nothing wrong with this thing either,$170 or $180.Includes shipping,you should start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    lol.. same here, though I SHOULD weigh 190-200 (and did a decade ago)... What suit have you got? I've been out of racing a while, and found my pristine suit is too small for the new fat me now. I'd like a Sparco if they fit our size...
    I got a stormin deal from a local shop on a Racequip (SFI 3-2A/5) that a guy had ordered and never picked up. Size XL, lots of leg length, lots of room for the old nuggets, not too bulky around the middle. Its blue, so I look just Smurfy in it.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Leaf has some inexpensive suits. They only charge $150 upgrade for custom tailoring.

Don't skimp on the protection your suit offers, SFI 3.2A/5 is a good choice, just make sure you spend a few bucks on carbon-X or Nomex underwear as well. Flames and heat don't know and don't care that you were just out to have fun. Last I heard they can't read labels either.