Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 968 story

I hope that lightweight battery is the same size as the stock battery. What's the rule on the torsion bar? ;~)

Yep - that battery box will be in the same location as stock and will weigh abosolutely the same as any similarly sized battery......how's that rules lawyering :-)

I have to weigh it to see if I can use it. I really like the box - way safer than the stock battery restraint. So what's the ratio on battery weight that is permissable??? Where's GA?

Rule on the torsion bar - can't run any coil overs - must run the same suspension type as stock - the torsion bars can be any origin. The rear suspension on a 968 is a very costly thing to do right so I really lucked out getting this equipment at 50 cents on the dollar, brand new stuff from a newly built and wrecked 968 that cost $50K to build.

I was disappointed to learn during preliminary research that if your car uses a torsion or leaf setup you cannot change over to coils. The torsion setup is actually very good, but leafs? Nope. The cost of setting up the rear on a 944/968 can get into the $5K range easy and go up. It's a 10 hour job minimum to do the rear torsion bars, re-index and all that fun.

Section 5. b. 3. page page 337 - Springs of any origin may be used, provided they are of leaf, torsion bar, and that they shall be installed in the original location using the original system of attachment. The joining of two or more coil springs by any means is prohibited. The use of tender springs are permitted. Shackles or spacers may be used to adjust leaf spring ride height. Spacers, including threaded units with adjustable spring seats, may be used with coil springs.

Been getting real familiar with that GCR.

Dan - you gotta come on up and run some of the Pro IT series - that's 100% of my focus this year. Hope to have the 968 ready for the Pocono event in May. Definitely we must have a little show down at WGI July 25th. Off chance I may do the Summit race in April in the ITS Mazda which is actually no slouch but not fast enough for the ITR bimmers.

Cheers
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Sounds like fun Ben. If work picks up around here you might see me.

Yeah, getting that whole rear suspension as a unit is a real time-saver, as well as money - great! Though I would definitely have recommended bigger t-bars, but those will at least do you well enough - basically what I'd consider the min allowable for true wheel-to-wheel racing. Used to run 30's, now on 34's. Good find on the shocks, too - sounds like you've got the foundation for a great, solid car right out of the box!

Keep up the good work!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Go gettem Ben!!!!!! Can't wait to see the new beast in May. Even though I race Hondas I do have a special place in my heart for Porsches.
    Last edited by jcmotorsports; 03-21-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    John Costello
    2009 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    2010 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    King Motorsports
    Hoosier Tire
    Chase Cam
    Redline Oil
    YEA YEA YEA......I sold out and now drive an SM and get schooled on a regular basis!

The total build quote is in! Work starts this week. I'm glad I switched shops - savings of $4-5000 and better cage & familiartiy with my car - shop is 100% focused on 944/968 race cars.

This includes a 9.5/10ths suspension: Bilstein front shocks for $1000 not on the build sheet yet and helper springs for the rear - which I learned are legal as they came from the factory with the MO30 option - debate on if those must be the stock springs or not.

Link to the M030 option page - want to make sure no competitors have issues with my build - my car is a M030 model - http://www.weissach.net/968_M030-Option.html

Where is Steve Ulfelder - he will laugh as he had a good chuckle that I'd get it done around $12-13K

Total cost including car is:

$16,500 - this price point leaves very little on the table - all the good stuff is done including rod bearings, cam chain, timing belt etc. Most important - the suspension is the shizzle

Money saved from selling stuff off the donor:

$1700 and climbing

TOTAL damage to date $14,800

Add a set of tires and it's race ready - goal remains Pocono :-) with a couple tests first.

Cheers
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

When we were looking at either a 968 or 944S2, we looked at that option package and decided it was 100% legal, with you on that. Clearly a factory installed suspension and brake package.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Thanks Jeff - I see it as an awesome and totally legit package also. But I want to hear if anybody has a beef before I spend a stinkload of $$.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

PS -- by "we" I just want to clarify I meant Ron EArp and I, not the ITAC.....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Ben,

The M030 option package is totally legit. No issues.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

An update on the ITR 968 to strike fear into the hearts of my competitors. While the fabricator was jammed up I sprung for a full motor job. That was just completed - MONGO money but should make some good power too.

Also did some major ECU work. I figure they did so many pulls I should buy my own dyno...

Comin for ya :-).....
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Can't wait but I am going to miss watching your videos.....
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    An update on the ITR 968 to strike fear into the hearts of my competitors. Comin for ya :-).....
    I know I'm shakin.:cool: ;~)

Check it out - another cool update. The Porsche 968 I bought with no title and restored has now been succesfully titled in NJ.

The process was complex enough but really not that bad. Took me 2 months and I was forced to do the process myself - the agency I hired - their paperwork was denied after I had a title issued. The DMV wanted my hands to do the work.

BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

OK - looks like the BigSpeed Porsche will be on the track this weekend. Loading up tomorrow night from the shop and heading to NJMP to race on Thunderbolt.

Schedule will be getting the tech and logbook issued Friday morning, testing with the car builder in the afternoon.

Saturday practice and qualifying for the national - racing in STU.

Sunday racing in the national, qualifying and racing in Pro IT.

Shame was the motor work could not get finished beyond the maintenance items but it still ought to be a quick car.

Wish me luck - new car, new track, racing in a national for the first time. Figure we'll take this REALLY EASY and make sure we drive it back on the trailer Sunday night. The trifecta of newness has me thinking conservative driving.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Good luck man. I took a brand new FI motor (had run carbs before) to the track Memorial Day and did just what you plan to do -- take it easy and learn what you have.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Jeff
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Great news Ben!! Good luck.

My first time on the track will be qualifying! Should be interesting!
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    . Figure we'll take this REALLY EASY and make sure we drive it back on the trailer Sunday night. .

You???? Take it easy????!!!! Yeaaaaaaaahhhhh, Riiiiiiiiiight.

(I still remember the Ben from ITS days!!)
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Yes - Jeff remembers the Banzai Ben days. Those M030 brakes will really help :-)

Slow and Steady - (until the checker drops and the adrenelin kicks in)

Thanks for the well wishes
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

and, now that the car has bee non track?!?! How was it?
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)