So far $1000 .....

cam chains/pads - $300
    Timing belt - $600
    water pump - $200
    Suspension - $2500
    cage $3000
    Setup $250
    Chip $100
    Just throw another thou on top of that for whatevers. That'll net me a very nice car. Oh - forgot the bloody wheels - another thou. Two set of 17 inch tires $2400.
    So Ben, you're going to go IT racing ... in a Porsche, for God's sake ... for $12,350, give or take (I added your extra thou from a later post)?

You are comedy gold, my man. Suggestion: multiply by 3.5 just to get yourself in the right ZIP code.

Better yet, give that RX-7 a Flatout tuneup and run up front in ITS all year ...

Steve

LOL... I'd have sold you a fast, championship-winning, ARRC podium Porsche IT car for $12k...

As for suspension - I would not waste my time with the Konis. Get the Bilstein suspension, and have it valved to suit you.

I would also definitely recommend getting the 34mm hollow torsion bars from Paragon, as much more as that car weighs (mine loves 'em).

For header, I have heard good things about the Stahl header, but that was for the 2.5L. Not certain about the benefit on the 3.0L. Certainly the stock header is good.

Give a shout if you need tips on making a front-Porche go fast...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Well - I'm all about the entertainment value to my fellow racers.

Stevo - no plans to sell the Mazda quite yet - it's been fully gone over and it ready to race as she sits. I know I'm a glutton for financial punishment with the P car but it will be very fast.

I was on the phone with Russ Jones yesterday and he made some very good points about not building the blue car but going with the black one which already has M030 everything, decent Konis and probably just needs front coil overs a 30 mm torsion bar, cage and it would be track ready - not front running material yet, but on the track.

I ran the numbers including cost of car and came up saving $2k at the end of the day building the black one and if I sell the blue car for about $3500 I can fund most of what I need to do.

So - I will be getting a title for the blue car and putting it up for sale to fund development of the black car. Anybody on this forum want is first - I make special deal.

Thanks for the pointers on the suspension - the stuff you guys are telling me is the same stuff I'm hearing from the guys at Farnbacher Lowles and Power Tech.

Cheers
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

No Koni's Ben!

...and the black car has a limited slip too.

What's up with the koni hate?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Um... well, they are better than Boges...

The M030 stuff isn't up to serious track work. Sorry. But Russ is right about the diff - that's worth $2000 right there, and you will need it.

You're far better off to SELL the M030 crap to someone who wants to track his street car, and use the proceeds on a real race suspension, like the Bilstein system!!! PS - I do have valving that will get you pretty close, happy to share it - whether you go with 30 or 34mm t-bars.

Again, the offer stands (and is highly encouraged) - give me a ring if you want to know more about these cars in the wheel-to-wheel environment.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post

I was on the phone with Russ Jones yesterday and he made some very good points about not building the blue car but going with the black one which already has M030 everything, decent Konis and probably just needs front coil overs a 30 mm torsion bar, cage and it would be track ready - not front running material yet, but on the track.
    Hey Ben,

I am not a Porsche guru at all but Jeff and I did have Jakes old 944 S2 that we spent a lot of time evaluating for ITR and investigating parts. As Vaughn says, that M030 stuff is not up to serious racing work and you'd be better off not paying money for those parts. Yes, you might be on track but you'll be tossing them soon and buying something else which will probably cost you money in the long run.

In the end we sold the S2 (we still thought it a better choice than the 968, various reasons, most of which is that variable intake runner doesn't come into play for racing, weight is lower, brakes are great of either) and became slightly frightened of parts costs. We're used to paying like $67 for an engine gasket kit, not $400. $87 for a timing set instead of $750, and so on.

Cool cars though, I hope you gets yours on track. I'm not a Porsche Faithful drinking the 911 Coolaid and think a 968 at all levels of prep can be a serious race car. I tihnk I still have some articles from English magazines comparing the 968 and S2. Shoot me an email and I'll forward them to you.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I'm not a Porsche Faithful drinking the 911 Coolaid and ....
    Ron
    You dissin' a 911 Ron??

man I oughta get one and make it go...
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    You dissin' a 911 Ron??

man I oughta get one and make it go...
    Well, if you started to design a sports car and had a clean sheet of paper you probably wouldn't hang the engine out back of the car and put the tranny in the middle. You'd do something logical and put the engine in the middle like, oh, wait! Porsche did that with the Caymen like it was brand new or something! Everyone else has been designing mid engine sports cars for 50 years.....

And barring sticking the engine in the middle you'd probably put it in the front with the transmission in the rear.....like a 944!

And no matter what you did you damn sure wouldn't put the engine and transmission in the front of the car. That is plain nutz.

Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    You dissin' a 911 Ron??
    LOL... triumph of German bloody-mindedness over basic physics!!! :026:

By contrast... my wife's taking my 924 through driver's school this spring!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Hey Vaughan - I'll take you up on that offer when I'm closer to buying the setup. Right now I'm zeroed in on getting all the safety stuff done up right - them move into the fun stuff.

Lotta folks are thinking this will be hugely expensive but remember - this car has a boatload of power on tap as she sits. A great suspension setup is where the money will need go so maybe this will be on track for around $12-13K. (God willing a little Porsche reliability and no major motor/trans troubles).

We will see - but so far it's been a good winter messing around with all these cars. I'm ready for spring.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Cool - you have a PM!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

There ARE advantages to the design...GREAT weight transfer under braking, for example, and ...yea...well, umm..it's got enough space in the trunk for a set of clubs!

Vaughan, I've used Chuck Moreland's Elephant Engineering stuff before, it's pretty sweet, as well as Smart Racing, Wevo, etc. Chucks got lots of stuff for the 944..is it desirable?
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Yeah, I would expect his expertise would translate just fine to the 944 platform, and I have heard good things about the stuff. For one, I think he's the only one making poly-bronze bushings for the spring plates, though I forget, they may not be compatible with torsion bars given the geometry (some compliance is required - those bearings may only be suitable for coilover conversion cars).

As much as you'd think the 911 would have an advantage putting the power down, that 924/944 rear suspension is excellent (as much as we love to loathe it)... I've never seen a car in ITB at least that can put the power down as well, as early in a corner. Of course, some of that advantage may fade in ITS and ITR, with more advanced competitors. And the 924/944 platform is excellent for deep-braking without fear of consequences... so the cars can own you on corner entry OR exit!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

The car is back from the paint shop done in the original blue - three coats - it is gorgeous. Looks like a $10,000 car now. I will be putting it up for sale once I have the title squared up. Looks like the owner does have it and is sending it in the mail from California. I probably will have to sell it on another forum because you guys know what I paid for it!

A fresh coat of paint will always make me fall in love with a nice car though....when the paint cures after several days I'll wash to paint dust off and take some pics. I don't even want to wash it until the paint cures for a few days.

Almost forgot to mention - since these guys are more on the burnout side I've started the New Jersey DMV process to retitle the car at the same time as I wait for these guys to actually tell me they have it in the mail....that way I won't waste time waiting for nothing.
    Last edited by benspeed; 02-11-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Here is a video of the restored 1992 Porsche 968. I'm selling it as I have gutted my other 968 and it's going in for the cage this Friday.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2AvSWY_uU&feature=email[/ame]

I have an agency getting me a NJ title. Anybody curious about buying it shoot me a note. I'm not really going to market it until I have title in hand.

May the spring come soon! I want to smoke y'all with my new ITR car :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Here is a video of the restored 1992 Porsche 968. I'm selling it as I have gutted my other 968 and it's going in for the cage this Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2Av...&feature=email

I have an agency getting me a NJ title. Anybody curious about buying it shoot me a note. I'm not really going to market it until I have title in hand.

May the spring come soon! I want to smoke y'all with my new ITR car :-)
    Keep it. You are gonna need the headlights when I suck the ones from your racecar right out as I whizz past you in my ITA car.

In all seriousness, the engine, tranny, diff, fenders...all worth more to you in parts than what you will get in whole. Spares package bro. Think for a whole season...
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 02-26-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Maybe at Limerock you might get me - man that would suck.

No place else though :-)

I can't keep a perfectly good car for spares - just ain't right! Plus I could use the cash to build the black one allowing me to keep the ITS car also. I got too many cars - gotta sell something.

Scary number of inquiries on this car already - even without a title. Priced too low.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

OK - an update on the black 968 M030 race car project.

First a huge thanks go out to Pete at RSBarn and to Pablo. Pete spent a ton of time advising and providing guidance on what to do with my car to set it up, avoid problems and run reliably. I meet a lot of industry leaders and Pete is a standout in his field - knowledgeable, expert, personable and did I mention expert???

What a great array of 968 cars also - his 968 turbo track car was awesome.

Thanks goes out to Pablo who was the source of many great parts I purchased - sir, I felt like a vulture buying up your spares but rest assured they will go on a top flight car and I play to win - so look for podium finishes. (I also have two sets of A arms and plan on rotating them every few races and will use the larger pins made of the strongest steel I can legally install.)

So aquired for the project was a complete rear suspension setup with 30 mm hollow torsion bars and a great set of Bilsteins. Included was the entire torsion housing assembly with the racers edge hardware - this should be a complete remove and replace for a top flight rear suspension setup.

Complete RS Barn race exhaust and chip, Momo steering wheel with quick release, lightweight battery and box. Also bought new delrin front swaybar bushings and castor blocks.

This car should be a great handling car.

I have the local P shop quoting on replacing the rod bearings, cage install and suspension install - should get a car that is a 8/10ths build just for starters. The car is gutted and at their shop - just wish they could move it along a little faster but they are thankfully very diligent on how they quote. Same diligence with their work.

I am doing my part to help the economy :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion