Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 968 story

Ben,
    The #33 968 in the pictures is the car you bought for $500.!!!!??? If so geat find. Good thing it has aluminum cylinders since it was sitting so long. Looks like it needs a good suspension from the pics. Break out the wallet $$$$$. I hope to see you on the track this year. Best of luck with it.

Maybe too much tequila had an effect on Ben pre bridge crossing attempt??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-15-2009 at 07:23 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The black 968 on Flickr is the one I bought for $7500 and is really a nice car - I would have paid way more for it.

The 968 I just bought for $500 is here - just uploaded the shots.

I bought a new battery today and dropped it in - the whole dash litup just like it should :-) Very tempting to just turn the key all the way and start it but I want to change the gas first. I bet it would start right now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/ I have put about an hour into cleaning up the car. A really good wash and the paint will totally shine. It's not faded under the grime.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

Maybe too much tequila had an effect on Ben pre bridge crossing attempt??

Man - I wish I could say that was the cause of bad judgement! I just should never have gone for that icy bridge.

But it really worked out - I paid for this awesome $500 car with fear equity of a bridge crossing!

Plus the disaster recovery vehicle - that was $450 plus a big tip. That guy saved my trailer and my wallet.

Last edited by benspeed; 01-15-2009 at 11:11 PM.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

I love the blue/grey combo. I have always been partial to the Lapis Blue IIRC that is what that color is called.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    The black 968 on Flickr is the one I bought for $7500 and is really a nice car - I would have paid way more for it.

The 968 I just bought for $500 is here - just uploaded the shots.

I bought a new battery today and dropped it in - the whole dash litup just like it should :-) Very tempting to just turn the key all the way and start it but I want to change the gas first. I bet it would start right now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/ I have put about an hour into cleaning up the car. A really good wash and the paint will totally shine. It's not faded under the grime.
    Don't forget to change all the filters too.

Can't wait to run with ya, Dan - ITR is the place to race!

Hopefully I'll have an update that this car is running after the weekend. Got a line on a glass hatch also - want that installed this weekend.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Changed the gas, fuel filter, oil and filter, sprayed oil into spark plug holes last night.

Tried it this AM - started up on the first try - no lifter knock - sounds fine.

Drove around the block - drives perfect. Other than needing a major cleaning and a hatch this car runs. It does have a little smoke coming off the motor - could be crud but I think there's an oil leak smoking.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Awesome!!!!

Yea, now watch Ben say "It's too nice to race, I sold it to some chump in Boston for 2G profit. now I'm waiting for them to classify a '79 Vette"!
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

OK folks - eat your hearts out. This $500 car will be my race car - decided to keep the 968 M030 black car for the street.

Smoking problem cleared up - probably a dry valve/cam cover gasket. Now I need a G50 LSD, race suspension, header and chip, cage. Then to the track!

This car now has about 12 hours of cleanup into it to that's why she looks so good. I took about 2 pounds of dirt out of the engine compartment alone. Gotta love the P car quality - no rust where crud had been sitting for years.

[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1362539240012475009&hl=en[/ame]

Video - weird scratching noise comes from the video - not the motor

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do......75009&hl=en
    Last edited by benspeed; 01-26-2009 at 02:53 PM.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Did you say, "I own this car for a thousand, every penny in, including the car and crane costs"?
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Good score Ben.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Smoking problem cleared up - probably a dry valve/cam cover gasket. Now I need a G50 LSD, race suspension, header and chip, cage. Then to the track!
    Ben, unless thing changed on these cars, don't waste your money on a header. Porsche header is good and unless you burn a new chip on a dyno where they know what the hell they are doing with Porsche, don't waste your money there either. I had a friend that raced the 968 in World Challange when I was racing my 944 T Cup there too.

Total steal Ben awesome!

Whats the fate of the 2nd gen? Think the porsche will be ready to rock opening day?

Hi Ben:

Dont forget about the timing belt, cam chain and tensioner pads. While in there they'll sell you on a water pump ..what the hell.

Your Koni's sent to TrueChoice for a double adj conversion, swap the sways from the black car, email me for a rear shock source.
    Your done.

Russ

Yup - so far a $1000 for all in - including the crane expenses - that's a new line item now on the spreadsheet - ah ahem.....

cam chains/pads - $300
    Timing belt - $600
    water pump - $200
    Suspension - $2500
    cage $3000
    Setup $250
    Chip $100
    Exhaust - Dan - you da man - I'll save that $$$$ - RSBarn can net me 10 hp for $1200 - that can wait

So - got a few bucks to spend. Just throw another thou on top of that for whatevers. That'll net me a very nice car. Oh - forgot the bloody wheels - another thou. Two set of 17 inch tires $2400 - I refuse to total this out! I do not see the money evaporating from my bank lalalalalalalalala

Yep - I will be racing ITS this season whilst I single handedly attemp to recover the economy myself with the new Phillips Racing Bailout Plan - but there are requirements to how this bailout will be structured and beer will influence how the funds will be allocated

I'd like to get the 968 out for testing by the end of the summer. Dang - that means I must race Matt and he's got that new fangled $1000 ecu thingamig I now probably have to buy......maybe a coke habit would be cheaper

Actually - I'm such a good bamboozler - I'll do it all for 25 cents on the dollar what you chumps would pay
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Yup - so far a $1000 for all in - including the crane expenses - that's a new line item now on the spreadsheet - ah ahem.....

cam chains/pads - $300
    Timing belt - $600
    water pump - $200
    Suspension - $2500
    cage $3000
    Setup $250
    Chip $100
    Exhaust - Dan - you da man - I'll save that $$$$ - RSBarn can net me 10 hp for $1200 - that can wait
    Ben, I'll save you some more $. Don't waste it on cam chains, I've never heard of any breaking ever. I think your low on the suspension and unless you acutally see a side by side dyno test, don't believe the 10 hp thingy. A $100 chip can't be doing to much either.

Thanks Dan - I just got off the phone with my Porsche guys and yep - they said fast supsension for $2500 - very fast for $3500. That and the timing belt will be it for this quarter. And a lovely Maaco paint job for $200 :-)

Guys who are selling the exhuast parts always have a recommended trick and guys who don't sell them say don't waste the $$ - the stock system is excellent.

How about bars - M030 or Welmeister?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Thanks Dan - I just got off the phone with my Porsche guys and yep - they said fast supsension for $2500 - very fast for $3500. That and the timing belt will be it for this quarter. And a lovely Maaco paint job for $200 :-)

Guys who are selling the exhuast parts always have a recommended trick and guys who don't sell them say don't waste the $$ - the stock system is excellent.

How about bars - M030 or Welmeister?
    Ben,
    I've had both on my cup car, I went the fastest with the M030 & it's lighter (1.12 @ Nelson Ledges and it went 1.11.5 another time, 5 years ago w/ stock headers). If I had the car again I would upgrade to the best suspension I could afford. BTW, if they don't ask for corner weights, ride height's and other important infor like what kind of tires you need to run, be suspect of their suspension.
    Last edited by dj10; 01-29-2009 at 11:06 PM.