Thread: Porsche 968 story

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There ARE advantages to the design...GREAT weight transfer under braking, for example, and ...yea...well, umm..it's got enough space in the trunk for a set of clubs!

Vaughan, I've used Chuck Moreland's Elephant Engineering stuff before, it's pretty sweet, as well as Smart Racing, Wevo, etc. Chucks got lots of stuff for the 944..is it desirable?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Yeah, I would expect his expertise would translate just fine to the 944 platform, and I have heard good things about the stuff. For one, I think he's the only one making poly-bronze bushings for the spring plates, though I forget, they may not be compatible with torsion bars given the geometry (some compliance is required - those bearings may only be suitable for coilover conversion cars).

As much as you'd think the 911 would have an advantage putting the power down, that 924/944 rear suspension is excellent (as much as we love to loathe it)... I've never seen a car in ITB at least that can put the power down as well, as early in a corner. Of course, some of that advantage may fade in ITS and ITR, with more advanced competitors. And the 924/944 platform is excellent for deep-braking without fear of consequences... so the cars can own you on corner entry OR exit!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

The car is back from the paint shop done in the original blue - three coats - it is gorgeous. Looks like a $10,000 car now. I will be putting it up for sale once I have the title squared up. Looks like the owner does have it and is sending it in the mail from California. I probably will have to sell it on another forum because you guys know what I paid for it!

A fresh coat of paint will always make me fall in love with a nice car though....when the paint cures after several days I'll wash to paint dust off and take some pics. I don't even want to wash it until the paint cures for a few days.

Almost forgot to mention - since these guys are more on the burnout side I've started the New Jersey DMV process to retitle the car at the same time as I wait for these guys to actually tell me they have it in the mail....that way I won't waste time waiting for nothing.
    Last edited by benspeed; 02-11-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Here is a video of the restored 1992 Porsche 968. I'm selling it as I have gutted my other 968 and it's going in for the cage this Friday.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2AvSWY_uU&feature=email[/ame]

I have an agency getting me a NJ title. Anybody curious about buying it shoot me a note. I'm not really going to market it until I have title in hand.

May the spring come soon! I want to smoke y'all with my new ITR car :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Here is a video of the restored 1992 Porsche 968. I'm selling it as I have gutted my other 968 and it's going in for the cage this Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2Av...&feature=email

I have an agency getting me a NJ title. Anybody curious about buying it shoot me a note. I'm not really going to market it until I have title in hand.

May the spring come soon! I want to smoke y'all with my new ITR car :-)
    Keep it. You are gonna need the headlights when I suck the ones from your racecar right out as I whizz past you in my ITA car.

In all seriousness, the engine, tranny, diff, fenders...all worth more to you in parts than what you will get in whole. Spares package bro. Think for a whole season...
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 02-26-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Maybe at Limerock you might get me - man that would suck.

No place else though :-)

I can't keep a perfectly good car for spares - just ain't right! Plus I could use the cash to build the black one allowing me to keep the ITS car also. I got too many cars - gotta sell something.

Scary number of inquiries on this car already - even without a title. Priced too low.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

OK - an update on the black 968 M030 race car project.

First a huge thanks go out to Pete at RSBarn and to Pablo. Pete spent a ton of time advising and providing guidance on what to do with my car to set it up, avoid problems and run reliably. I meet a lot of industry leaders and Pete is a standout in his field - knowledgeable, expert, personable and did I mention expert???

What a great array of 968 cars also - his 968 turbo track car was awesome.

Thanks goes out to Pablo who was the source of many great parts I purchased - sir, I felt like a vulture buying up your spares but rest assured they will go on a top flight car and I play to win - so look for podium finishes. (I also have two sets of A arms and plan on rotating them every few races and will use the larger pins made of the strongest steel I can legally install.)

So aquired for the project was a complete rear suspension setup with 30 mm hollow torsion bars and a great set of Bilsteins. Included was the entire torsion housing assembly with the racers edge hardware - this should be a complete remove and replace for a top flight rear suspension setup.

Complete RS Barn race exhaust and chip, Momo steering wheel with quick release, lightweight battery and box. Also bought new delrin front swaybar bushings and castor blocks.

This car should be a great handling car.

I have the local P shop quoting on replacing the rod bearings, cage install and suspension install - should get a car that is a 8/10ths build just for starters. The car is gutted and at their shop - just wish they could move it along a little faster but they are thankfully very diligent on how they quote. Same diligence with their work.

I am doing my part to help the economy :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion