Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine Balancing

I can't think of any situation where head/block decking would change the relationship/relative timing of a pair of DOHC cams. On vee engines where the timing belt (or chain) returns to the block before going to the 2nd head (Audi V6), any change in cam timing to the 1st head caused by decking/milling would be doubled in the second head.
    (Any boxer setups I'm familiar with use seperate belt for each bank which cause no such problem)
    The change in cam timing caused by removal of material to reach legal C/R limits is negligible. In the rare case of OHC vee engines, even the 2nd head is very close and splitting the difference via crankshaft key adj would bring the timing marks into apparent positions. (the Audi V6 has infinitely adjustable timing sprockets so a non-issue there) Opening the rules in any way that allows non-original adjustment of the phasing ("lobe displacement angle") of DOHC camshaft pairs is defenitelty a slippery slope given the extremely limited ability of tech to measure or determine the legality of these parameters (in practical terms, change "extremely limited" to "nonexistant" with no prejudice towards tech). Changing lobe displacement angles causes HUGE HP gains.
    The argument that IT rules shouldn't reflect how hard an illegal change is to perform/OR/how hard it is to detect is a stupid one. Arguing that adjustable sprockets or offset keys at the cam sprockets should be legal because they make it easier to do is even dumber! It is much better to be pragmatic about such rules. I'm sure the intent of only allowing non factory adjustments to be done at the crank is to make it VERY difficult for someone to run modified cam timing without going to the trouble of manufacturing an original looking cam(s) with different lobe centerlines, or making timing gears with relocated key positions. I promise you that the small amount of offset in the crank key won't render it a failure item.
    PS: there's no way that the phasing of in/ex cams changes, no matter how the head is milled, etc because the belt or chain remains in the same relationship where it pulls across the 2 sprockets.
    PS2: If there is any need to change the rules, it only applies to vee engines with no provision for cam timing adjustment. Anyone needing this rule? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hoping pragmatism saves our class as well as country!
    Last edited by pfcs; 01-10-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    phil hunt

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs View Post
    The argument that IT rules shouldn't reflect how hard an illegal change is to perform/OR/how hard it is to detect is a stupid one.
    Thanks! I always appreciate praise!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Don't delude yourself Jake
    phil hunt

Jake,
    Regardless of you perception of Phil’s lack of tact, don’t miss his point that shaving a head or decking a block should not have any effect on the relationship between two cams.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

The factory short block will have too little piston to wall clearance.IMHO.
    The factory Honda and VW pistons are within 1 gr of each other. The replacement pistons are usually way off tho. ( 3-6gr)
    Deck the block, use totalseal rings, bore to .003 and it will go faster and last a long time.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs View Post
    I can't think of any situation where head/block decking would change the relationship/relative timing of a pair of DOHC cams.
    I asked that same question and never got a response.. The only way I could see that being a possiblity.. is if the intake and exhaust cams were mounted on seperate bodies..
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]