Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing rig survey

bought a 2000 V10 Excursion last summer for $7800. Pulls the 28' box with 2 cars no problem. POS in the winter, though. Can't get it out of the driveway. But that's not why we bought it. It's going to sit all winter anyway.

I tow a 24ft enclosed feathelite and a 14ft enclosed trailer for a Formula Vee with a 2002 Chevy Silverado w/ a 470cu in. I pass everybody but the gas station! 8ft bed with a cap. Appr. 5k for the truck and runs great. Short of a duramax, will tow anything.

Quote Originally Posted by alfa View Post
    bought a 2000 V10 Excursion last summer for $7800. Pulls the 28' box with 2 cars no problem. POS in the winter, though. Can't get it out of the driveway. But that's not why we bought it. It's going to sit all winter anyway.
    I too have been looking to upgrade from a 1/2 ton pick up and open trailer to sometihing that could eventually tow a 24 foot enclosed or a maybe a toy hauler. I like the idea of a dual purpose vehical like the Excursion.

What are the advantages of the 7.3 diesel over the V10 besides the grunt power? There is a significant difference in pricing between the two and would like to know if the extra money would be worth it or not. Are there any reliabilty differences or maintenance costs between the diesel and gas?

Thanks,
    Jim W
    Greensboro, NC
    Jim Wray
    #4 ITB Wraycer Wrabbit
    Greensboro, NC

Some interesting stuff I ran across the diesel and V10 this morning.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ke-diesel.html

when I was looking (last summer), I did the best payback analysis I could, using the current prices at that time. The payback on the Diesel was basically never going to occur, between the $10K premium to purchase the Excursion with a Diesel engine (6.0 or 7.3) over the V10, combined with the gas/diesel pricing at the time. Now fuel prices have changed since then, and Excursion prices may have as well (dunno), so the analysis might have a different result today.

Anyway, between 2 cars, and the enclosed box plus lots of tires, tools, etc - we're at the high end of the weight range for the Excursion (V10 or Diesel), and the V10 still pulls things along quite nicely.

If you are pulling only one car, I wouldn't worry about the V10 at all. (unless you have to tow over the Rockies to get to your local track).

I tow with a 7.3L diesel non turbo 91 e350 Ambulance Can barely pull its own weight up a hill not to mention the 14 foot trailer i pull... though it always makes it one way or another.

why? saves me having to get a hotel room, cops never pull you over, and it has all kinds of fun lights and sirens to play with.

i would guestimate 3-5mpg trailer or not.