Thread: Towing rig survey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I would go with an F-250. I assume that you are in the rust belt. Just a quick search within 300 miles of Pgh, PA netted this find.
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=246

I tow with a 1995 F-350 2wd crew cab Dually 8 feet bed Power Stroke 5spd with 76,xxx on it. Of course I am only towing a 2200lb neon on an open trailer, but I net 14mpg cruising 75 to 80mph on the highway. Almost all of the F-250's you will find will be a 351 at a minimum. You will also find some 460's as well.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Thanks for all the replies -
    I guess right now either a F150 or F250 Ext cab 4x4 are the front runners.
    There are about 50 F150's near me in my range- about a third are the extended cabs (I want and need) and are 4x4's.
    I do worry about the rear axles and the lesser brakes on an 150 though......and quite a few have the 302 or the 4.6. Not too sure they will not be overstressed if I start going on longer and hillier trips towing.
    F250's in the spec that I want that have not been plowed are pretty rare around here.
    I may jump on the next "owned by an old man" F250 that was never plowed with a 351 4x4 that I see.
    Any opinions on C6 vs. the AOD trans? I assume a few more MPG.
    I had been looking at the GM Suburban/yukon, ect, but have discounted due too the lack of space for sheet goods or cordwood.

Quote Originally Posted by FASTJACK View Post
    I do worry about the rear axles and the lesser brakes on an 150 though......and quite a few have the 302 or the 4.6. Not too sure they will not be overstressed if I start going on longer and hillier trips towing.
    I have the 5.4L in my 150 and have no problems with an open trailer with brakes or power. It does have 350lbs of torque........ And I'm very close to the weight limit I'm sure with all the spares, tires and other shit.......

I wouldn't tow an enclosed with it.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I am using something that hasn't been mentioned yet. I use a 2002 F250 ext cab long bed with the 6.8L V10.

I pull an aluminum open trailer with a mustang on it and a full long bed. I get 12 miles per gallon and my hauls are always between 4 hours and 12. Nothing nearer.

This truck gives me the option to move up to an aluminum enclosed if I wish. I like the flexibility. I like the difference in price between gas and diesel. I think the savings in oil changes and such with the gas engine.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I tow with a 2nd generation 2WD F150 Lightning. 20 foot enclosed, about 7000 lbs all up (~3000lb old school trailer, 2450 lb car, 14 wheels/tires, tool chest, spares kit, 20 gallons gas, and beer). Works great - Daytona, VIR, CMP, Roebling, etc. I do use airbags on the rear springs to hold it level but other than that no issues in probably 15 to 20k of towing over four years. Nary an issue other than the 10-11 MPG I get.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 01-14-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Jack,

given your pricerange, avoid diesel GMs - the older ones were crap. (the new ones are awesome)

if you do go diesel, the ford 7.2 is the motor, the early 6.4s are tempermental and have a lot of issues.

the ford V10 is great, thirsty, but revs and pulls motorhomes with 26" enclosed trailers just fine. should do alright in a pickup.

if you go 150/250 invest in the right upgrades to the trans and diff (coolers, finned cover, rebuilt diff, maybe a better towing gear) and you should be OK on the long pulls. vans never seem as good as the PUs, but I personally prefer them as a vehicle overall. sounds like a good option for you, too. an old ford I6, well cared for, with the right drivetrain will get you by, they are torque monsters, but will show some weaknesses at speed.

If you're not dead set against a van, look around for a E350 with the V10. They can be found in the extended body versions relatively easily. I've got an '04 12 passenger (short body) and tow a open trailer (maybe 4K all up) and love the thing.

Gas mileage is comparable or slightly better than the gas V8 because the truck is so understressed - I get 12 @ 70+. Because they are percieved to get lousy MPG they are often available on the cheeep side. Go as new as you can on the V10 - the '99 and down are notorious for spitting sparkplugs out and the (I think, check me) '01 and earlier trans are suspect as well.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Default Tow rig - "beggers cannot be chosers"

Thanks again to all who have posted.
    I have pretty clear idea now, comfirming and validating both my own opinions and others I have read elsewhere.
    I think an extended cab 4x4 250 with a 351 is my best bet. My current van has 351 (5.4) and has towing power in surplus, but truely sucks in the snow. Most of the diesels I have seen are out of my budget or have 250+ K on them. Not to mention they mostly are 2wd and a bitch to start i the cold.
    Finding a F250 4x4 that is not hammered (around here in Ma. they ALL end up as plow trucks at some point, thereby reducing them to hulks of iron oxide with bent frames and smoked trannys ) will be tough though.
    An extended van is also on my list, but they are horrible in the snow, and I would like to be able to use the truck or van as a third vehicle for the family if ness, and to tow the impending horse trailer which will mean muddy paddocks......why I want a 4x4.
    But to qoute my wise mother "beggers cannot be chosers" so my decsion will likely be based largely on what is available and a good value money wise.....meaning I might go with a E350 van if the right one popped up.
    Thanks
    Jack