Hi,

Haven't posted much yet - just getting back into doing some racing now that the kids are growing up and I'm gaining some free time back. So I'm sitting here looking at the snow outside the mind wanders.....to future plans. What to buy as the next Tow Rig.
Looking for thoughts and opinions from others to either validate, or change my current opinions.

I tow now with an 1987 Ford E250 Clubwagon, but it's getting pretty long in tooth, and rusty to boot! Carb needs another rebuild, and floors are going, but runs and tows well when it's well warmed up.

So, here's the question(s):

#1: firstly, I'm trying to decide on if I'm going to stick with a van or move to a pickup.

I haul wood very regularly, and sheet goods, so a 8ft bed is a must (my current van is not the super long chassis, so with the bench seat in it is only a 6ft floor, kinda sucks taking it in and out all the time as ness).
Also, an extended cab or long chassis van is a must so I can haul my kids if need be, and is better for towing anyways. (long wheelbase)

2nd question: Ford or GM?

I'm predisposed towards a Ford as I know them better, and have anecdotally seen better logivity with the C6 or AOD than a TH400 or some of the nwer GM trans when hauling and towing regularly.

3rd qeustion: Gas or diesel.

4th: IL6, 302, 351 or 7.3 D (Ford) GM 5.7 or other small V8?

I only tow a small trailer and car, so absolute power really isn't an issue, gas milage might be, but will the smaller V8's or 6 do the job running around New England? Also in the future some 2 horse trailer towing may happen (wife and daughters fun).

5th: 150/250/350? 1500,2500,3500? F or E series?

I like the bigger brakes on the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, but maybe I could get away with 1/2 ton? I also like the bigger payload too, and there are a LOT more 150's out there to pick from.

6th and final: 4x4 or 2 wheel drive?

My van is almost un-drivable in the snow, as are most 2wd pickups, so I'm leaning towards a 4x4 (eliminating most vans unless it's a big buck Quigley or Quadra, which is too rich for me) in order to get a reasonably useable vehicle in the snow.

My dream truck? Maybe a F250 extended cab 4x4 with a 351 fuelie, 8ft bed, resonable highway tires (not mudders), not rusty!
2nd choice, a E250/350 Quigley with extended chassis, highway rubber, 351. Maybe a 7.3 D ...... though I'm always worried about wood I'm hauling smashing a Clubwagon's rear windows.

What do YOU think?

Jack