Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Life without the VIN rule

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    The additions to ITB yes, but the 'shrinkage' of ITC? Did we just kill it?
    I think it's only helping along what was coming inevitably anyway...
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Out of curiosity, was ITD ever big and if so was a big deal mad eout of it pretty much dying?
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by CDS View Post
    .... How competitive is the 1st gen CRX in ITB?
    it's fair. you could be in the trophies. you need to qualify well since we still get walked some at the starts and on the straights.

not sure what great lakes tracks you have been to but mine runs 1:49's at Mid-Ohio with the keyhole chicane & 1:49's at Road Atlanta.

come to the IT spectacular at Mid-Ohio for the best competition "locally"
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    Out of curiosity, was ITD ever big and if so was a big deal mad eout of it pretty much dying?
    I may be mistaken, but I don't think ITD was ever very popular, although it may have had some interest in certain geographical areas (east coast?). I'm pretty sure the class was never even recognized/organized in some SCCA divisions.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    it's fair. you could be in the trophies. you need to qualify well since we still get walked some at the starts and on the straights.

not sure what great lakes tracks you have been to but mine runs 1:49's at Mid-Ohio with the keyhole chicane & 1:49's at Road Atlanta.

come to the IT spectacular at Mid-Ohio for the best competition "locally"
    Thanks for the info. I'm in Mississippi, and I've only run at Memphis and St. Louis so far. I'm going to try to get to Barber, Road Atlanta and Nashville this year if possible. Everything else is just too long of a tow to fit with my work schedule.

If I understand the rules correctly, to legally run my car in B, I have to make it an exact copy of an Si model, including any body trim parts that may have been Si-specific, correct? I need to study up on the differences between the various models.

How competitive is the 1st gen CRX in ITB?
    IMO this car has the potential to be an absolute front runner. But I don't know Hondas as well as ... um ... well the Honda guys.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Tom, your times at Road Atlanta were impressive, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but you didn't get a lot of miles under your belt this year (and wasn't it your first time there?) and I know your tires, at least, weren't 10/10ths...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Great thread.

***On the other hand, if even one piece of the unibody is different and you leave it, you're not legal.***

& everything else about the cars. BUT, no worry because I'm sure you all have the knowledge of ALL the different model cars. The fat lady ain't even started to sing.

Oh crap, it don't matter because no one in IT ever writes paper.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Quote Originally Posted by ddewhurst View Post
    Great thread.

***On the other hand, if even one piece of the unibody is different and you leave it, you're not legal.***

& everything else about the cars. BUT, no worry because I'm sure you all have the knowledge of ALL the different model cars. The fat lady ain't even started to sing.

You still don't get it Dave. If someone wants to cheat in this manner - they could do be doing so all along. Cheaters were not waiting for a rule to let them use an illegal body shell, or illegal parts. Competitors that don't know enough about a particular model to spot the difference are as in the dark now as they were then.

Policing the class does need to happen, and we the drivers are on the hook for that, but it has nothing to do with this rule.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

It won't make any difference, Chris.

DD just liked to kick at anthills. His arguments don't have to be grounded in any substantive logic to do that.

K

Be careful when using absolutes in your arguments, DD, because it's an easy way to not make your point.

Or, maybe you haven't been paying attention, but I've seen, and been a part of, some paper writing....and come to think of it, if I recall correctly, you have to.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I have had paper written towards me, but the paper didn't stick.

ID some paper that stuck.

As the rules slip the ant hills get smaller.

WE have all read stuff on this site that wouldn't stand paper but no one writes the paper.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

D some paper that stuck.
    Read the current FasTrack.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Thanks for the info. I'm in Mississippi, and I've only run at Memphis and St. Louis so far. I'm going to try to get to Barber, Road Atlanta and Nashville this year if possible. Everything else is just too long of a tow to fit with my work schedule.

If I understand the rules correctly, to legally run my car in B, I have to make it an exact copy of an Si model, including any body trim parts that may have been Si-specific, correct? I need to study up on the differences between the various models.

at first glance, i saw "madison" and was thinking "WI" so the ARRC is likely a better place. the 84 crx is most like the 85 si with regards to headlights, etc. iirc. the 86-87 had heavier bumpers, etc. door panels, rocker panel covers, front rear bumpers of your 84 should be the same. instrumentation for the speedo and tach might be different?

but suspension wise, they were effectively the same. the biggest difference body wise was the SI sunroof and i know folks on here have talked about swapping roofs/skins but the section of the gcr escapes me. so that would be the one part you need to explore.

The sunroof fill rules are one of the potential sticking points for something like the CRX example. If (for example, I don't know) the ITA version of the Toyota Paseo (the rat motor) ONLY came with a sunroof, but the ITB (mouse motor) Paseo was a smooth top, one couldn't actually bring that no-sunroof lid with them to ITA - IF there were any structural differences (e.g., omission of extra bracing around the hole) that would result after the hole were skinned over by whatever means.

K

i have read internet rumors about folks cutting off the crx si roof and installing a non-si roof and that was deemed acceptable. perhaps more socially than rules.

i won't protest you. just be glad to see another BEE!

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    The sunroof fill rules are one of the potential sticking points for something like the CRX example. If (for example, I don't know) the ITA version of the Toyota Paseo (the rat motor) ONLY came with a sunroof, but the ITB (mouse motor) Paseo was a smooth top, one couldn't actually bring that no-sunroof lid with them to ITA - IF there were any structural differences (e.g., omission of extra bracing around the hole) that would result after the hole were skinned over by whatever means.

K

I have very mixed feelings about that. To the rule, that is correct and yes I agree there has to be a line drawn somewhere, but, if I hurt my car bad enough that I need a new tub, I have a 1990 ITC Civic that is going to get an ITA transplant so that I can continue to race. Protest me and win, that's fine, but at least I will get to continue racing for a little while (until there are too many protests and they yank my license).
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

from 2009 GCR
    Removable sunroof or T-top may be retained if bolted or welded in, or removed completely. Glass sunroofs must be removed. All sunroofs maye replaced with panel or replacement skin of the same material as the original surrounding roof material.

i think the language of "or replacement skin" is where the ambuiguity lies. a replacement skin is obviously not a "panel"

part of my curiousity is due to the itc crx for sale.....

***Read the current FasTrack.***

Gregg, IT paper.

There was some SM paper that stuck this past weekend at Moroso. Driver & owner, 6 months each & $250.00 each.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

***Read the current FasTrack.***

Gregg, IT paper.

i think this is the IT paper Gregg was referring to:

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=25258